Graphics heads : ORS100 VS OR120 ???

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Psycho Witches

Post by Psycho Witches » Fri May 05, 2006 3:57 pm

What is the difference between these 2 amps ?

ORS100 was the first amp from Orange, isn't it ? before the OR120 ?

Is there a difference of tone and/or power ?

Plexi face VS Metal Face ???

Too much questions I know...
Hop' to die before get old...

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Fri May 05, 2006 4:31 pm

All (well, a fair bit) is revealed here:
http://www.orangefg.com/
Kind of a crystal glass into the history of Orange (/Matamp).

So, just how psycho are your French witches these days? And how many? ;)

Welcome anyway! :)

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

MarcusBlacksmith
Orange Master

Post by MarcusBlacksmith » Mon May 08, 2006 6:47 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Psycho Witches</i>
<br />What is the difference between these 2 amps ?

ORS100 was the first amp from Orange, isn't it ? before the OR120 ?

Is there a difference of tone and/or power ?

Plexi face VS Metal Face ???

Too much questions I know...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

There's no such thing as too many questions :)

Yes I believe the ORS100 is an older model than the OR120. However, I don't think it was the first Orange amp. Orange was partnered with Matamp before being an independent company, and was responsible (under Matamp patents) for the Orange/Matamp Lead 200 among other amps (Lead 200 was Jimmy Page's Theremin amp of choice).

There's a difference in tone, of course...they are different amps, the pre-1972 ORS ('pics only' Orange amp) is much closer to the original Matamps and Orange/Matamps than the mid-70s OR120s and OD120s. The ORs had the 'FAC' control as well, which is basically an interesting tone-shaper knob.

Both amps are EL34 amps, the ORS at 100W and the OR at 120W.

Plexi Face Vs Metal Face? Matter of aesthetics, I think.
She led me out to the Bikini Atoll, right to the edge of the exclusion zone, and pointed to a dandelion growing in the ashes, like a joke for the living.

'ey, Gringo. This ain't no fancypants Italian Cartel. Viva La Mehico and the Rockerverb Cartel!

Made Man: Blind Miguel

wjlaginess

Post by wjlaginess » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:52 am

Hello,
My name is William Laginess. I don't normally post to forums so this is a first for me. Please excuse if anything is out of the ordinary. Ok let me begin! My sister sent me a guitar and a couple of amps she said. When my parents brought it to me last weekend it ended up being a vintage 79 Gibson THE SG, A Fender 25r Front man from the early 80's, and this Beautiful vintage orange head. My orange is a OR120. Curious if anyone can tell me a bit about this amp, ie: value, what its worth to fix if its not operational? those kinds of things. Thanks so much for all your help and your love of beautiful musical instruments.
William Laginess

acorkos
Orange Master

Post by acorkos » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:18 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wjlaginess</i>
<br />Hello,
My name is William Laginess. I don't normally post to forums so this is a first for me. Please excuse if anything is out of the ordinary. Ok let me begin! My sister sent me a guitar and a couple of amps she said. When my parents brought it to me last weekend it ended up being a vintage 79 Gibson THE SG, A Fender 25r Front man from the early 80's, and this Beautiful vintage orange head. My orange is a OR120. Curious if anyone can tell me a bit about this amp, ie: value, what its worth to fix if its not operational? those kinds of things. Thanks so much for all your help and your love of beautiful musical instruments.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

check out the website andy linked above: http://www.orangefg.com/
as far as cost for servicing, you might pay $200-250 for a complete re-tube and electrolytic cap replacement (cap job), including replacing out-of-spec resistors in the high-voltage chain, general cleaning/tightening and bias setting. this work is something that most anyone acquiring an older high-powered amp would eventually end up doing...work that would help keep the amp healthy and running well. where are you located?