OR50 and distortion pedals

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Fuzzhead

OR50 and distortion pedals

Post by Fuzzhead » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:19 am

Hello everybody,

i'm new to this board and picked up an OR50 this week. I love that Amp and it's tone very much.
But it has issues when feeded with pedals, that bring their own distortion like Overdrive or Fuzz.

I have a 2203 Marshall style amp which hat similar issues till I removed it's bright cap from the gain control.
After I removed it, it can be driven very hard and even put a thick fuzz tone on top, without any mudd in the sound.

so my thoughts - can it be similar with the OR50? is there a bright cap on the gain control and can this cause some issues with distortion from pedals?

i like to run the OR50 at a lower chrunch sound for hardrock rhythm stuff and use pedals to form different distortion sounds just like Fuzz for stoner/doom
or tighten it up with an overdrive for a high gain sound.
for clean i roll of the guitar volume - works great so far

any thoughts on a "bright cap" ?

thanks and greetings

Oliver

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Re: OR50 and distortion pedals

Post by Eddie Famine » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:01 pm

I have an OR50 and feel it works quite well with pedals. I do run it with a moderate crunch sound, and have a treble boost, EP boost and even used my old Proco Rat with success. You can’t run the amp with lots of distortion and get very good results from you pedals. I think it’s true for most amps, maybe more so with Orange.
Don’t know anything about tinkering with the guts other than tubes.

Fuzzhead

Post by Fuzzhead » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Hi,
Yes, Chrunch or even more distortet and than boosting (tried a Boss BD2 and a Super Distortion Overdrive) works really good and I love that.
Only Fuzz from Big Muff and others BM clones (Pharaoh Fuzz) don't work well - for that the OR50 has to run clean with Gain to 9 o Clock.
The ProCo Rat gives the same result as my Fuzzes, tried it with Gain under 9 o Clock, Filter to 12 o Clock and Level around 1 - 2 o Clock

And as I said before, I had same/similar results with my own rebuild 2203 till I cut out the bright cap from the gain control. After cutting the cap out, it takes everything even at higher distortion and Bass control maxed out. I can put the russian Big Muff in front and max out Gain and Level - very huge sound.

Thanks for Your answere

regards
Oliver

Fuzzhead

Post by Fuzzhead » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:23 am

no one any clue of that circuit?

or does anyone have a schematic of the OR50H ? that would help me

thanx and greetings

Oliver