favourite guitar recording mic.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

farwood

Post by farwood » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:30 pm

What are your favourite guitar recording mics?

I love the 57, 421 and at4050. any recommendations?

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:50 pm

Sennheiser e906
'65 Guild Starfire III--Custom 52 HR Tele--Custom Hollow Strat--BYOC Phaser--ZVex Box of Rock--EB VP Jr--Oler ABY--Malekko 616--Tech 21 Boost RVB--AD30r--Orange TT

PopnFresh
Orange Master

Post by PopnFresh » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:56 am

SM57 or an AKG C414

leoninanegg
Tiny Terror

Post by leoninanegg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:39 am

A recording engineer once told me to get a beyer dynamic m88 because it would suit my vocal style, he has worked with some great acts so I listened to him. I don't know if that was true but I use it to record everything because it's the only mic I have. When I went in to get some mixing help from another recording engineer/producer he was really impressed with how the guitar was recorded. He said he didn't have to do ANYTHING with it, no eqing at all. Probably a bit of an expensive mic to get on my say so though, especially as I've never used anything else decent.
Live Gear : Orange Rockerverb 50 Head and PPC212.
Fender USA Sunburst Standard Strat (Bought new in 98).
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Wah, Electro Harmonix Germanium Overdrive, Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion, Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi, Boss BF-2 Flanger.

Other bits : Super Twenty (Jag style 60's cheap copy), Eastwood Sidejack, Seagull Acoustic c/w Takamine Tri-ax. Snarling Dogs Mold Spore Wah/Ring Mod (Sadly broken), Marshall ED-1 Edward The Compressor, Boss OD-3 Overdrive, Electro Harmonix Q-tron+, Boss DD-20 Digital Delay.

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:39 pm

Audix OM-2 and Sm57 used at the same time.8)
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:38 pm

For the speaker cab, I have been using a Beta57 (SM57). Tried a condenser in combination and it didn't work for me.

For acousting I have been using a pair of large diaphragm condenser mics (usually Neumann 103s, but I have used 4050s with great results). I keep the mics next to each other (to avoid phase problems) about 3 to 4 feet from the guitar. I direct one just above where the neck comes to the sound hole and the second one at the bridge. Each goes to its own channel. The neck give more treble, the bridge give more midrange (the opposite of electric pickup). You can blend the sounds to get the right EQ. I have also panned the two tracks apart in the mix and that give the guitar part more depth (width?). For fingerpicking, don't forget a compressor.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

defrag
Orange Expert

Post by defrag » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:00 pm

If a 57 is the industry standard, wouldn't my Beta 58A be even better considering its response in comparison to the 57?
Mesa Roadster, Egnater Rebel, Orange Terror, Blackheart Giant • Ric 360MG, Schecter C1, Martin OMC15, Moog Phatty/6 Foogers, Korg microXL/Electribe MX • Alesis, Boss, Mackie, Peterson, Radial ( o )==#
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/music.html ♪♫

farwood

Post by farwood » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:22 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by leoninanegg</i>
<br />A recording engineer once told me to get a beyer dynamic m88 because it would suit my vocal style, he has worked with some great acts so I listened to him. I don't know if that was true but I use it to record everything because it's the only mic I have. When I went in to get some mixing help from another recording engineer/producer he was really impressed with how the guitar was recorded. He said he didn't have to do ANYTHING with it, no eqing at all. Probably a bit of an expensive mic to get on my say so though, especially as I've never used anything else decent.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I liked my 57 better on guitars, but the m88 is very good as well. You should try the m88 on bass, combined with a 421, it sounds amazing, also the beyer m160 can be recommended, very cool mic.

basshole
Orange Expert

Post by basshole » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:41 pm

Two Senn 421's in a 45 degree angle or a single Senn 441 does it for me.
The Beyer m88 sounded way too kickdrum-ish for me when i tried it. I could have messed up its positioning though.
Andreas

McCartney - Lynne - Langdon - Sting - Miller - Jenkins - Hendrix

leoninanegg
Tiny Terror

Post by leoninanegg » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:33 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by farwood</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by leoninanegg</i>
<br />A recording engineer once told me to get a beyer dynamic m88 because it would suit my vocal style, he has worked with some great acts so I listened to him. I don't know if that was true but I use it to record everything because it's the only mic I have. When I went in to get some mixing help from another recording engineer/producer he was really impressed with how the guitar was recorded. He said he didn't have to do ANYTHING with it, no eqing at all. Probably a bit of an expensive mic to get on my say so though, especially as I've never used anything else decent.

I liked my 57 better on guitars, but the m88 is very good as well. You should try the m88 on bass, combined with a 421, it sounds amazing, also the beyer m160 can be recommended, very cool mic.

I've done everything with the M88 as it's the only decent mic I have [:p] I'm told it does work well with kick drums but I was a bit too concerened with SPLs to give it a try...

Gonna have to get me a SM57 one of these days... along with a nice condenser mic
Live Gear : Orange Rockerverb 50 Head and PPC212.
Fender USA Sunburst Standard Strat (Bought new in 98).
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Wah, Electro Harmonix Germanium Overdrive, Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion, Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi, Boss BF-2 Flanger.

Other bits : Super Twenty (Jag style 60's cheap copy), Eastwood Sidejack, Seagull Acoustic c/w Takamine Tri-ax. Snarling Dogs Mold Spore Wah/Ring Mod (Sadly broken), Marshall ED-1 Edward The Compressor, Boss OD-3 Overdrive, Electro Harmonix Q-tron+, Boss DD-20 Digital Delay.

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:41 pm

The CAD trion 700 ribbon....Satch also is useing it...with a 57 & this mic...wow...

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Royer r121 ribbon mic gets the fattest sounds ive heard by far.

Runners up:

sm57
sennheiser e609
akg 414

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:11 pm

I agree the royer is tops..but for 1/4 the cost the CAD is hard to beat.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:50 pm

Here's an interesting alternative to the usual stuff that I've been considering ordering - the Cascade Audio Fathead II. It's a ribbon mic, and has been getting some rave reviews on forums!

http://www.cascademicrophones.com/casca ... AD_II.html
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Bucketbuddy

Post by Bucketbuddy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:09 am

I've been reallt satisfied with my
Sennheiser e609 Silver Dynamic Guitar Microphone.
I was goint to buy sm-57 but changed my mind
when I read others reviews on this mic.