quick question...

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

heck

Post by heck » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:07 pm

I've got a 1973 OR80 and it has 3 jack outputs on the back. 2 are on the far right hand side and one is slap bang in the middle. No markings on any of them. I assume the 2 on the right are the speaker outputs, but what's the middle one for?

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:21 pm

The middle jack is a slave out jack, used for plugging the amp into a slave head or stand alone poweramp. Do NOT mistake it for a speaker jack, you're correct in thinking that the 2 jacks on the right are the speaker jacks.

Odd that there are no markings though.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

heck

Post by heck » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:28 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. One other thing - I'm also assuming that the 2 speaker jacks are the same ohmage. Does that sound about right?

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:17 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by heck</i>
<br />Thanks for clearing that up. One other thing - I'm also assuming that the 2 speaker jacks are the same ohmage. Does that sound about right?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
The impedance of the speaker output jacks is determined by the impedance selector located right next to them. They are, indeed, wired in parallel. The 'same ohmage', as you put it.

If your amp has markings only for 8 and 16 ohms, follow them. If your amp has markings for 4, 8, and 16 ohms, <i>and the wiring hasn't been changed internally</i>, i'd bump the impedance down to run the amp safely.

Orange made a big boo-boo years ago when they used the same output transformer for the OR-120's and OR-80's. The OR-80's have an inherent impedance mismatch. Do a search here for MUCH more info on it. But the long and the short of it is that you should bump the impedance down a notch to run the amp safely...

Set it for 4 ohms into an 8 ohm cabinet. Set it for 8 ohms into a 16 ohm cabinet. Using a 4 ohm cabinet is not recommeded.

It would be a good idea to check and make sure the amp hasn't been altered so that impedance markings are in fact "correct" now. There are a number of them floating around like this.

Again, if the amp only has 8 and 16 ohm markings, it was wired correctly from the factory, in which case, disregard all this.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

heck

Post by heck » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:59 pm

Thanks for the info. It's marked 8 & 16 thankfully. I've been using this fantastic amp for a few months now with no problems, but a sound engineer the other night asked me about all this & made me doubt myself! Cheers for putting me straight.