Orange told this to someone about the Class A..

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:47 pm

...thing over at Harmonycentral.com:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">This is what Orange told me about Orange amps being Class A.

A lot of people think of single-ended operation as being solely 'Class A' because this is a common configuration. However a push-pull configuration can run in Class A as well.

The AD30 is truly Class A circuitry. 'Class A' refers to the circuit design so that the grid-bias voltage is set to approximately one-half the cutoff voltage to obtain linear operation. The peak signal voltage at the control grid will not exceed the DC grid-bias voltage. The control grid is not permitted to go positive and plate current flows at all times. That is 'Class A' by definition. Class A amplifiers operate on about 20% efficiency and reproduce sound at a very high quality.

It is also operating in a Push-Pull configuration, to achieve maximum output voltage swing of each tube. It is also operating in a parallel configuration, whereas two pairs of tubes operating in push-pull configuration are running parallel to each other, allowing the power of four EL84 tubes to be twice that of using two.

The way these amps are biased is what gives them their unique playing characteristics. You'll notice that the sound seems to compress as you play harder/ louder. This is because the bias is variable and changes as signal is applied to the tubes, giving you pseudo-compression like qualities, which is what gives these amps their "feel".<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I was hoping that someone like Andy, Nick, Akorcos, etc...of greater technical knowledge then me could comment on it for him.;)

Chris

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:32 am

Not really a lot left to say Chris. That's both pretty concise and accurate.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Post by BrianFantana » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:45 am

I'm pretty sure that guys like Chuck Berry, Paul McCartney, Brian May, Keith Richards and Angus Young don't even know what "Class A" is.

I like technical stuff to an extent, but when it comes down to it--plug in and play--if it sounds great--it IS great!!!

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:47 am

+ 1........................million!
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tokyohero
Tiny Terror

Post by tokyohero » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:07 am

i agree. And I have too bad of an A.D.D. condition to know what this thread was about.

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Post by BrianFantana » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:05 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tokyohero</i>
<br />i agree. And I have too bad of an A.D.D. condition to know what this thread was about.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Reading...

Left to right, top to bottom. Put together letters to form words, put together words to form sentences, to form paragraphs, to form threads.

:D:D:D:D:D

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:15 am

That looks about right. I bet that was a tech whop wrote that not a marketing boy ;)

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:30 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by firebird1999us</i>
<br />...thing over at Harmonycentral.com:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">This is what Orange told me about Orange amps being Class A.

A lot of people think of single-ended operation as being solely 'Class A' because this is a common configuration. However a push-pull configuration can run in Class A as well.

The AD30 is truly Class A circuitry. 'Class A' refers to the circuit design so that the grid-bias voltage is set to approximately one-half the cutoff voltage to obtain linear operation. The peak signal voltage at the control grid will not exceed the DC grid-bias voltage. The control grid is not permitted to go positive and plate current flows at all times. That is 'Class A' by definition. Class A amplifiers operate on about 20% efficiency and reproduce sound at a very high quality.

It is also operating in a Push-Pull configuration, to achieve maximum output voltage swing of each tube. It is also operating in a parallel configuration, whereas two pairs of tubes operating in push-pull configuration are running parallel to each other, allowing the power of four EL84 tubes to be twice that of using two.

<b>The way these amps are biased is what gives them their unique playing characteristics. You'll notice that the sound seems to compress as you play harder/ louder. This is because the bias is variable and changes as signal is applied to the tubes, giving you pseudo-compression like qualities, which is what gives these amps their "feel".</b><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Oh how I wish they'd try saying all that at The Gear Page Technical Amp Forum... [:p]

1/ It isn't purely the circuit <i>design</i> that defines the class of operation. It is also how it is operating!

2/ As I explained here:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... hichpage=1

...(in 'Noddy terms' as requested), operation class does make a difference to how cathode biasing works!

<b>The last para quoted above, (in bold), is
1) Absolutely true!
2) Totally misleading!</b>

It is true of a cathode biasing circuit running in <u>class A/B</u>! It definitely wouldn't happen in class A running though because:
Constant overall current in the power valves ---> no bias adjustment response to varying input signal ---> <b>None</b> (= 0.0%) of that lovely compression.

<b>They are <i>implying</i> that means the amps are biased in Class A. That is a bit sneaky. It actually means they aren't!

<u>I really <i>do</i> wish they'd try saying that stuff on TGP</u>... </b>

Andy.

PS: Chris, sorry but I'm officially not interested in this subject any more. 'Class A' is such a minefield of mis conceptions and mis information that I have <i>much</i> better things to do then react each and every time someone mentions it. Especially when most people - quite sensibly - couldn't give a monkeys as to the real truth of it all.

When folk ask I'm probably just going to link to stuff. I've written <u>plenty</u> already!

Most people asking the questions lose interest when they get the answers. I've lost interest because I've given them too often. I'm not trying to put Orange or any other companies down, I just wish they'd stop being misleading. <b>That</b> is what really bugs me about this whole subject. :twisted:

[/Rant] [/Interest]

[Over and out!]
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:36 am

Class A, ClassA/B, Class WXYZ. If I like the sound it's good; if I don't it's not.
"Class doesn't matter". Am I wrong?

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:59 pm

Oh I could care less about Class A stuff -- someone posted about it opn harmonycentral.com (JoshuaTSP) and since I had no idea I figured I'd post it here so you guys could post some links.

I know AD30s aren't Class A -- I just didn't know how to explain it to Josh technically.;)

Chris

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:16 pm

I think the problem is that there's multiple definitions of class A.
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:25 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by screamingdaisy</i>
<br />I think the problem is that there's multiple definitions of class A.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I think Andy summed everyones feelings about the topic up here:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I'm not trying to put Orange or any other companies down, I just wish they'd stop being misleading. That is what really bugs me about this whole subject.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Chris

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:31 pm

Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:46 pm

If it sounds good, play it. I couldnt tell you if mine are even still in the house. lol
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:56 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by screamingdaisy</i>
<br />FWIW;

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=204137
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yes indeed screamingdaisy. Thanks for that confirmation of <u>exactly</u> what I was saying! :)
<br />I think the problem is that there's multiple definitions of class A.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Actually, no. I think the real problem is that people <i>invent</i> multiple definitions of class A to suit themselves. Or are inventively selective in what they choose to use as their definition. For example Randall Smith of Mesa Boogie says in his (generally excellent) 'CLASS ‘A’ Exposed & Explained' article on the Mesa / Boogie website:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">SO WHAT IS CLASS A?
What Class A really means is that: <b>“Grid bias and alternating
grid voltages are such that plate current in
a tube flows at all timesâ€
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.