Which bugger said AD's can't do heavy..? New clips

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat May 27, 2006 10:38 pm

OK, spent a few minutes recording some clips of my AD30 - they're now on Purevolume for download. Crappy dynamic mic almost straight about an inch away from the grille towards the edge of the cone.

They're available from:

www.purevolume.com/thefunkfoundation/

So if someone can tell me how to write out the mp3 extensions, i'll do that.

Both clips, just guitar --> amp.

The first is called "Bareknuckle" and is me using my Gordon Smith GS1 (with a Bareknuckle Cold Sweat humbucker in the bridge) initially rendering some a classic for your amusement. Oh, the fromage factor...

Guitar runs straight into the amp, EQ section dimed, tone and volume on full on the guitar, gain dimed, and MV not very loud. On some of my subsequent ramblings on that clip, the gain is dropped off just so you can hear how the Bareknuckle responds to cleaner sounds.

The second file was me recording some on my new G&L Comanche (apologies for stealing the clip Billy...). Gain & EQ dimed, EQ and volume controls on guitar dimed (remember my Comanche has a PTB system so has volume, treble cut and bass cut controls).

- Neck pickup, guitar controls on full, gain dimed, EQ dimed etc
- Bridge pickup, ditto
- Centre pickup, ditto
- Neck & centre, ditto
- Centre & bridge, ditto
- Neck & bridge, ditto
- All pickups, ditto

Then gain rolled back some (ACDC)
- Neck pickup
- Centre
- Bridge
- Neck & bridge

Next clip same settings (chording)
- Neck & bridge
- Bridge
- Neck

Next clip, gain rolled back some more so sound is cleanish
- Centre & bridge pickup
- Centre & bridge pickup with the bass cut

Next clip (with the trem)
- Neck pickup

Next clips (random lick)
- Nick pickup, rolling back the treble cut a bit more each time

Now, if someone wants to tell me how to post a link to my files, i'll do that. Else you can hear a few seconds of them yourself on Purevolume. Just look up The Funk Foundation.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Mofmog
Tiny Terror

Post by Mofmog » Sat May 27, 2006 10:45 pm

You forgot a link dude

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun May 28, 2006 1:44 am

Anyone know how to put up the proper links?
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

shindigmachine
Orange Master

Post by shindigmachine » Sun May 28, 2006 1:47 am

HAHAH you totally played one of billy's riffs. thats awesome.

you got a mean vibrato, joe! i need to start making some RV clips...
Hi. I'm Brad. i play a Gibson Melody Maker RI through a...

Orange RV100H &
Mesa Lone Star 410 w/2 Celestion G10s and 2 Weber Thames 10s

pedals; Barber Tone Press, Robert Keeley BD-2, EHX Micro POG, SIB Mr. Vibromatic, Line6 Echo Park, AKAI Headrush E2, and a custom loopmaster pedal. all on a furman SPB-8.

this band is done but a new one is in the works;
myspace.com/morninggrey734

Quoplay

Post by Quoplay » Sun May 28, 2006 12:30 pm

Excellent stuff .....By the way what does dimed mean ? Also what is EQ section ?.. Sorry but im trying to learn all about it ....

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Sun May 28, 2006 12:41 pm

Nice one...!

The FAQ bit (top right) explains how to do different type of links etc

check out: http://forum.orangeamps.com/faq.asp#hyperlink

Hope that's some help.
Mark

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Sun May 28, 2006 1:19 pm

Very Hargreavesian!

Like the sound of the Comanche. Interesting characteristics.
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun May 28, 2006 1:23 pm

Riffmonster, yeah I know how to post URL links, I just don't know how to work out the URL addresses of my downloads. Does anyone know the URL links of their downloads on Purevolume?

Quoplay...

Dimed means that the dial is on maximum... presumably as a dime is 10 and the dial is on "10" or max also: hence the expression.

EQ is the equalisation section of the amp or guitar - usually the amp as most guitars only have one or two tone control dials (also called "pots" - short for potentiometers). They are used to boost and/or cut frequencies from the sound using a dial or a slider. Different amp EQ sections can have different amounts of dials. Most of them have treble, mid, and bass. Others will have just treble & bass, or just one dial called "tone!" Other amps will have more dials or sliders, often denominated by the frequencies they control.

With the Orange amps, the EQ section often does not have boost capability: it just cuts. Hence with all the EQs on max, the sound will be flat/neutral - this is an example of a passive EQ system.

Active EQ systems are more common on solid state amps, and you can boost them.
Joe

G(sus) saves

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Sun May 28, 2006 1:25 pm

Out of interest Joe, what sort of sounds were you after with the cold sweat PU?

Why did you go for that one, other than the fact that it was cheap on the 'bay?
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun May 28, 2006 1:36 pm

Partially because it was on the 'Bay, but also going on the descriptions on the BKP site... it was relatively tough as all of them seem to be described as articulate and have great sounds in treble mid & bass. I asked Tim for a recommendation, and he suggested the Stormy Mondays or a Mule, but I was a little sceptical. I wish they'd have a sort of chart with little bar graphs showing the output characteristics like the Seymour Duncan site.

I liked the sound of my G&L pickups which have ceramic magnets: good sustain and tonally very clear and defined. I wanted a humbucker with a lot of top end and clarity to it, and also a tight bass to tighten up the AD30 low end which can be a bit farty with looser humbuckers. So I went for the Cold Sweat. It does the overdriven sound I want very nicely, although I might have chosen something with Alnico magnets for the clean sounds. However, i'm more likely to use my single coils for clean sounds, so... meh.

Yes, the Comanche has some very interesting sounds. I'm getting to like it more and more. It's less raspy than my ASAT, and has a smoother ring to it. The pickups are a little more humbucker like - certainly in the neck. I guess that's just a function of the split single coil.

Certainly plays like a dream! Very very good neck, and sounds lovely unplugged.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun May 28, 2006 1:39 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Which bugger said AD's can't do heavy..?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
I guess that bugger is me, though I've always said metal.. :|
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun May 28, 2006 1:57 pm

Lol... yeah, I think they're too warm in the bottom end to do metal properly. At any rate, there were some nice high gain sounds with plenty of sustain, so i've satisfied myself that I think it'll do anything up to metal.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Quoplay

Post by Quoplay » Sun May 28, 2006 2:12 pm

ok very good.. Another question here ... With hose G&L pick ups I was wondering where you got them from , cos I was told they wont sell them separate as a single item .. Another words you actually have to buy a G&L guitar ....

Quoplay

Post by Quoplay » Sun May 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Im convinced also that a good Rock sound can come from the AD30 now after listening to these clips ...Im thinking I will need to change the pick ups on my mexican tele tho to get achieve this ...

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun May 28, 2006 2:23 pm

The sounds on the Comanche clip are Z-coil pickups which came as stock with my G&L Comanche guitar. They are custom designed by G&L and they won't fit most guitars because of their shape. In fact I don't know if any other companies do anything similar.

ASAT special pickups are approximately the same size as P90 pickups.

With the G&L standard sized single coil pickups, you should be able to fit them on other Strats & Teles as they are a standard size. As I said, you'd struggle with the Z's, and possibly the ASAT special large MFD pickups.

What are you trying to do?
Joe

G(sus) saves