bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Fuzz roundup

Post by bclaire » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:23 pm

bfitz wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:20 pm
The GAS won! I couldn't resist and it was a steal on Reverb

This thing is :shock: :shock: :shock:

At low gain with the bias turned down it's in the Led Zep territory completely like dazed and confused or communication breakdown but wind up the fuzz and the bias and you're into that spitty, gated, velcro jack white kinda thing. When you mess around with the guitar volume you get a lot here too. With everything else in between, it's a really really versatile fuzz. The active EQ is also really cool as well. This thing won't get lost in the mix like a big muff and that's for sure.

B
Wow... interesting. Have you tried just using the neck pickup? How does that sound?

I listened to the bass solo'd up on Led Zeppelin's Heartbreaker and it sure sounds to me like JPJ is playing bass through a Tone Bender the way it breaks up. Pretty fascinating stuff...

What kinda dough are we talking for this thing?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:05 am

bclaire wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:23 pm
bfitz wrote:

At low gain with the bias turned down it's in the Led Zep territory completely like dazed and confused or communication breakdown but wind up the fuzz and the bias and you're into that spitty, gated, velcro jack white kinda thing. When you mess around with the guitar volume you get a lot here too. With everything else in between, it's a really really versatile fuzz. The active EQ is also really cool as well. This thing won't get lost in the mix like a big muff and that's for sure.

B
Wow... interesting. Have you tried just using the neck pickup? How does that sound?

I listened to the bass solo'd up on Led Zeppelin's Heartbreaker and it sure sounds to me like JPJ is playing bass through a Tone Bender the way it breaks up. Pretty fascinating stuff...

Really not that expensive. Used you can likely find one a little more than $100.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:47 pm

bclaire wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:23 pm
bfitz wrote:

B

I got it from the prymaxe shop on Reverb for €88 plus shipping ... Didn't end up paying any import taxes on it so it was a steal. Pretty much half the price it is in Europe or the UK.

I've been playing both the les Paul and the SG junior nearly exclusively with it. Tele needs new strings and the yamaha needs a setup. Neck pup on the LP sounds great... The active eq is really powerful. Makes it really versatile with different guitars and amps. We got restrictions kinda lifting here at the moment...might even be able to go jam in a few days. It will be first on the board.

JPJ could well have used a tonebender on heartbreaker cos there is a reference to him referring to a fuzz box that resembled a wedge of cheese which is most likely the mk1 tonebender

I tried the guitar solo from time by pink Floyd with my LP and the fuzz set kinda low and the bias in the more open setting and its really really close. I know he used a Strat but this fuzz just has a vibe. At less than 100 its a great purchase

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:00 pm

I use a Band Of Gypsies mini. It plays very nicely with my amps.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:28 pm

Sootio wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:00 pm
What is your setup ? Ive been intrigued by those mini fuzz faces for a while!

definitely cant justify another fuzz but down the line when the dust settles :lol: :lol: :lol:

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:44 pm

I have this waiting for me at home, unfortunately I’m away for work at the moment so I can’t try it!! JHS Cheese Ball, a direct clone of the discontinued Lovetone Big Cheese from the 90’s. I’ve been interested in the Lovetone Big Cheese sound for some time and the originals are crazy expensive. Found this one for a good deal.

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:10 pm

bfitz wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:28 pm
Sootio wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:00 pm
What is your setup ? Ive been intrigued by those mini fuzz faces for a while!

definitely cant justify another fuzz but down the line when the dust settles :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have a TH30 and an OR15. It works well with both of them. I keep the fuzz knob at noon and use my guitar volume for gain control. It's a very simple pedal but it sounds great no matter how you set it. I've got 4 or 5 other fuzzes gathering dust.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:57 pm

Jondog wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:44 pm
I have this waiting for me at home, unfortunately I’m away for work at the moment so I can’t try it!! JHS Cheese Ball, a direct clone of the discontinued Lovetone Big Cheese from the 90’s. I’ve been interested in the Lovetone Big Cheese sound for some time and the originals are crazy expensive. Found this one for a good deal.

Very much looking forward to hearing your opinions on this... Jhs is making some wicked pedals at the moment. I know this is around a while but it's definitely not a fuzz face, tonebender or big muff. It's definitely its own thing!

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

groundmeat
Tiny Terror

Post by groundmeat » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:17 am

Jondog wrote:
JHS Cheese Ball, a direct clone of the discontinued Lovetone Big Cheese from the 90’s. I’ve been interested in the Lovetone Big Cheese sound for some time and the originals are crazy expensive.
I remember seeing those a couple of times. I hadn't seen any in a long time, got curious and googled...

HOLY CRAP! You're right. These people are asking upwards of 1500 bucks for them. Good lord, and here I was thinking the prices of the green Big Muff's from the 90's were ridiculous. That's crazy!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:15 pm

bfitz wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:57 pm
Jondog wrote:

Very much looking forward to hearing your opinions on this... Jhs is making some wicked pedals at the moment. I know this is around a while but it's definitely not a fuzz face, tonebender or big muff. It's definitely its own thing!
Yeah, can’t wait to try it!! I’m not a huge JHS fan for particular reasons and this pedal is one of them, but at least it’s a copy of a discontinued pedal, that makes me feel more comfortable :oops: . They make great pedals, but sure wish he’d get permission first on these clones. One of the original builders of this pedal was not too happy about it. I could build a clone, but not sure I have the time and even then it’s basically the same thing as buying a clone. This one came up at a decent price, would of cost close to the same to build my own after parts and shipping.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:44 pm

Jondog wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:15 pm
They make great pedals, but sure wish he’d get permission first on these clones.
I know what you mean but in a lot of ways aren't a very high percentage of pedals just clones with "improvements" or "tweaks" or what have you? I mean all the early fuzzes were alterations of the same circuit the Maestro Fuzztone's derivatives were the Tonebender and then the fuzzface. I know the cheeseball is blatant but is it any different to Klones or Cranked JTM45's in a box or massive muffled fuzzes? Im kinda glad I can buy a Russian Big Muff Clone with a mid control. But that is very different to mass producing a copy of a circuit invented by a dude in his shed that makes one pedal at a time. Its a big question. Perhaps a royalty system like with songs

Anyway enough of that TELL US how does it sound?

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:48 pm

bfitz wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:44 pm
Jondog wrote:
They make great pedals, but sure wish he’d get permission first on these clones.
I know what you mean but in a lot of ways aren't a very high percentage of pedals just clones with "improvements" or "tweaks" or what have you? I mean all the early fuzzes were alterations of the same circuit the Maestro Fuzztone's derivatives were the Tonebender and then the fuzzface. I know the cheeseball is blatant but is it any different to Klones or Cranked JTM45's in a box or massive muffled fuzzes? Im kinda glad I can buy a Russian Big Muff Clone with a mid control. But that is very different to mass producing a copy of a circuit invented by a dude in his shed that makes one pedal at a time. Its a big question. Perhaps a royalty system like with songs

I definitely think you are correct about all pedals being modified (or not) clones of what has come before.

I have the JHS Ryan Adams sig pedal before all the crap went down with him. It's called VCR - a boost, chorus, and reverb and it's a really nice pedal. I use it on my acoustic pedalboard....

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:29 pm

bfitz wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:44 pm
Jondog wrote:

Yeah, you can’t get around it and everything is a copy of something somewhere. There are some unique ones that were ripped off, Superbolt being one of those, snd another pedal I really like! Its meant to sound like a Supro, but obviously not a clone of one, and was ripped from a pedal building forum. Guy who designed it call it the Suprodeux or something. Hearing some of the stories you feel for the little guy though, but anyways...
It does sound awesome, very gritty, velcro like fuzz. Wouldn’t say you can clean it up.like fuzz face or big muff. I’ve had similar sounding fuzz pedals with the gated splatty sound but this has nice tone shaping options on it. Three position selector has selections for no tone control, mid boost, mid scoop and then a very gated splatty setting. Tone knob has good range on it. The only thing I notice as an issue is a slight volume drop when engaged.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:00 pm

Jondog wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:29 pm

Yeah, you can’t get around it and everything is a copy of something somewhere. There are some unique ones that were ripped off, Superbolt being one of those, snd another pedal I really like! Its meant to sound like a Supro, but obviously not a clone of one, and was ripped from a pedal building forum. Guy who designed it call it the Suprodeux or something. Hearing some of the stories you feel for the little guy though, but anyways...
It does sound awesome, very gritty, velcro like fuzz. Wouldn’t say you can clean it up.like fuzz face or big muff. I’ve had similar sounding fuzz pedals with the gated splatty sound but this has nice tone shaping options on it. Three position selector has selections for no tone control, mid boost, mid scoop and then a very gated splatty setting. Tone knob has good range on it. The only thing I notice as an issue is a slight volume drop when engaged.
So does it drop just for a split second or what? Like is it gonna be sent back? Gonna give some demos a listen later on. Ive been really enjoying fuzz over the last few months.

I hear ya! It is a really interesting conversation and I also feel sorry for the little guy but there are plenty of little guys making money too. I guess altogether tho it is what it is ... I saw there is a clone of a trainwreck's preamp in a pedal ... i know its not going to be a trainwreck but if its hitting the ballpark of that kinda of thing i'd be interested in hearing it. Its the same with the Dumble things or your superbolt there the 'Unobtanium'. Without getting uppity or anything, I believe there are these sounds in all our heads that we associate with greatness ... like a cranked AC30 or Jimi with his Fuzz Face and Marshalls or Jimmy Page with his Orange and whatever combination of Marshall, Hiwatt etc (totally subjective) and we want these sounds at our feet or at least be in those ball parks so we can at least feel the thing or something like that. Whatever about sounding like someone its sounding like something that gets us inspired....Right now there are SO MANY frickin pedal companies from the big guys to the little guys. Im after getting another box here from that chap in Dublin, he's recreated his own tall font russian big muff with all the possible mods and its killer. Nor original by any means but its a clone of a specific muff. to me it offers more than shelling out however many euros for an original that might break within a few weeks of using it. Swings and roundabouts i guess?! :)

Did see Bill Finnegan is building Klons again one by one and auctioning them on Ebay starting at like $100 and they sell for anwhere between 1k and 4k. which is beyond bonkers but it is what it is.

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:08 pm

bfitz wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:00 pm
Jondog wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:29 pm

So does it drop just for a split second or what? Like is it gonna be sent back? Gonna give some demos a listen later on. Ive been really enjoying fuzz over the last few months.

I hear ya! It is a really interesting conversation and I also feel sorry for the little guy but there are plenty of little guys making money too. I guess altogether tho it is what it is ... I saw there is a clone of a trainwreck's preamp in a pedal ... i know its not going to be a trainwreck but if its hitting the ballpark of that kinda of thing i'd be interested in hearing it. Its the same with the Dumble things or your superbolt there the 'Unobtanium'. Without getting uppity or anything, I believe there are these sounds in all our heads that we associate with greatness ... like a cranked AC30 or Jimi with his Fuzz Face and Marshalls or Jimmy Page with his Orange and whatever combination of Marshall, Hiwatt etc (totally subjective) and we want these sounds at our feet or at least be in those ball parks so we can at least feel the thing or something like that. Whatever about sounding like someone its sounding like something that gets us inspired....Right now there are SO MANY frickin pedal companies from the big guys to the little guys. Im after getting another box here from that chap in Dublin, he's recreated his own tall font russian big muff with all the possible mods and its killer. Nor original by any means but its a clone of a specific muff. to me it offers more than shelling out however many euros for an original that might break within a few weeks of using it. Swings and roundabouts i guess?! :)

Did see Bill Finnegan is building Klons again one by one and auctioning them on Ebay starting at like $100 and they sell for anwhere between 1k and 4k. which is beyond bonkers but it is what it is.
The Klon prices are totally out his hands and I think it’s great if he gets big money for them, deserves it more than anyone. I believe he sent JHS a cease and desist or something over JHS’s clone copy, Josh even talks about it in one of his youtube videos as to why they don’t have a Klon pedal anymore.
The volume drop, the fuzz signal is lower than the bypassed clean signal, even with the volume maxed on the pedal. It’s not something I’d send it back over, but something I noticed right away, I’m happy to have the pedal.