Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 3:17 pm
Location: Dunstable UK

Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Post by Mrjones2004x » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:46 pm

As a member for a very long time in my opinion, maybe 9 years I’d guess not 100% sure on that but what happened here?

I haven’t really been on many forums over the last few years but I have kept popping in from time to time to see what’s happening.

When I use to frequent the most it was when I had a tiny terror and it was super busy then maybe back 2013 I think. Then I was interested in the or15 but never got one and stuck with my Marshall 900 mk3 for many years and I came back and posted again as I just acquired a tt combo and see it’s near it’s end.

Interest in orange amps at a low? Nothing new to interest people? All forums dying?

Any reasons you believe?

Sorry if this has been asked before
Tone is everything

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6787
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:10 pm

Forums in general don't get the same following they used too. People use groups on Facebook a lot more these days.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5


Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator
Posts: 17758
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 9:19 pm
Location: Outside Boston MA, USA
Contact:

Re: Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:35 am

Facebook groups and Instagram have basically become a modern version of forums. Facebook groups in particular are very good at answering questions and providing help. The downside is, they're not very searchable, but they can host lots of photos...

Visitors to this forum have been dwindling for quite some time, and we have been inundated with spammers joining/posting, etc. It seemed time but there are a core of us who keep coming back. :mrgreen:

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 3:17 pm
Location: Dunstable UK

Re: Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Post by Mrjones2004x » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:33 am

Ah right fair enough points made.
I don’t use Facebook so never thought about that option
Tone is everything

Jondog
Duke of Orange
Posts: 7150
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:16 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Post by Jondog » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:53 pm

Personally don't like FB for group discussions. It's not just group members that see your posts. I never have anything to hide, but it's a bit weird when someone you know starts asking about your discussions in a FB group you're part of and they know nothing about it. Everybody and their mother is invited in to see what you'd generally feel is a closed discussion. If I post here I know it'll only be read by people who share a common interest.
Image

Sooner
Orange Master
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:16 pm
Location: USA-land

Re: Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Post by Sooner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:36 pm

Jondog wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:53 pm
Personally don't like FB for group discussions. It's not just group members that see your posts. I never have anything to hide, but it's a bit weird when someone you know starts asking about your discussions in a FB group you're part of and they know nothing about it. Everybody and their mother is invited in to see what you'd generally feel is a closed discussion. If I post here I know it'll only be read by people who share a common interest.
Facebook groups can be set to "private" so only members can see posts but unfortunately many of the Orange groups are public.
There are a couple however that are private:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/369947780302017/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/331897577479370/

But as Billy says they're hard to search and I find it difficult to keep track of topics of interested in. They're like a big mumbo jumbo of comments.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Jondog
Duke of Orange
Posts: 7150
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:16 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Post by Jondog » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:41 pm

Sooner wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:36 pm
Jondog wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:53 pm
Personally don't like FB for group discussions. It's not just group members that see your posts. I never have anything to hide, but it's a bit weird when someone you know starts asking about your discussions in a FB group you're part of and they know nothing about it. Everybody and their mother is invited in to see what you'd generally feel is a closed discussion. If I post here I know it'll only be read by people who share a common interest.
Facebook groups can be set to "private" so only members can see posts but unfortunately many of the Orange groups are public.
There are a couple however that are private:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/369947780302017/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/331897577479370/

But as Billy says they're hard to search and I find it difficult to keep track of topics of interested in. They're like a big mumbo jumbo of comments.
I know, but the Orange group that is popular and contains many members from here is public.
Image

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6826
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Post by Norrin Radd » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:20 am

Fućk Facebook. If/when this forum goes tits up, I’ll just play my RV50 more... :wink:
Greg

adkguy07
Rocker
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:46 pm
Location: Upstate New York

Re: Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Post by adkguy07 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:59 am

It's a shame that this Orange Amp Forum has lost some popularity. I never contributed all that much here, but the knowledge base is extensive here and I have gain'd lots of insight into Orange amp’s in general and any questions I needed to ask had answers and help readily forthcoming. The Facebook Orange group is good in one sense that viewers will get a feel for what current sentiments are concerning Orange amps and the speaker cabinets that amp owners prefer and use. Lots of videos posted as to how the amp’s are being used; photos and some diagrams which are a help to many.

Today's forums were an outgrowth of the prior early net's “Newsgroups” which used some arcane technology to gather liked minded individuals together about all kinds of subjects. Then advent of “Forums” and “Bulletin Boards” was a step up because they were more structured and rules were set in place. Today with everyone on Facebook, any subject can easily reach a worldwide audience, but I don't view it as a major step forward. My wife says Facebook is great for viewing your friends grandkids' photos.


adkguy07

StratusX
Rocker
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:56 am

Re: Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Post by StratusX » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:48 am

I hope to be around to see a revival for this forum. Been a member for over a decade and a lurker since 04 I believe. While there’s nothing at all wrong with the smaller Orange amps or the Crush line, it seems rare to see anything in the Facebook group that isn’t someone posting their CR120 or Micro Terror. Here there was an abundance of knowledge of everything not only Orange, but about amps and music in general.
Hi, my name is Ian.
Image
1973 Gibson SG
2009 Gibson Melody Maker
2011 Gibson Midtown Standard
2006 Schecter Hellraiser
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC108 X 2
Orange AD30HTC
Orange PPC212

megalithic
Orange Hero
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Post by megalithic » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:06 am

It wasn't that popular to begin with. O.k., maybe a bit more popular than now, but not in the sense that people would answer the threads a day later, more like a couple of days later, so it wasn't really worth checking up daily.
Image

bclaire
Forum Moderator
Posts: 17758
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 9:19 pm
Location: Outside Boston MA, USA
Contact:

Re: Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Post by bclaire » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:21 am

megalithic wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:06 am
It wasn't that popular to begin with. O.k., maybe a bit more popular than now, but not in the sense that people would answer the threads a day later, more like a couple of days later, so it wasn't really worth checking up daily.
In its heyday, it was very popular. Easily in the tens or twenties as for new replies or topics.

a.hun
Duke of Orange
Posts: 9764
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:05 am
Location: Amsterdam, Hollandland.nl

Re: Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Post by a.hun » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:25 am

bclaire wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:21 am
In its heyday, it was very popular. Easily in the tens or twenties as for new replies or topics.
Totally. I used to be here almost every day, sometimes for hours. Plenty of active discussions.

Then I started playing out more again. When that dropped off I'd kind of lost the habit... :lol:


Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bclaire
Forum Moderator
Posts: 17758
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 9:19 pm
Location: Outside Boston MA, USA
Contact:

Re: Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Post by bclaire » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:44 pm

I still check every morning... it would be cool if the regulars started new threads again...

bfitz
Orange Expert
Posts: 803
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:57 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Why/how did the forum lose its popularity?

Post by bfitz » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:40 am

Literally only found this out today! This is the only gear forum that was welcoming that I found. Some serious characters and some really knowledgeable folks. I learned nearly everything I know about valves and valve amps here. Like if your on a tone quest just search here and you will find direction

Knowing its on the way out I'll be back tomorrow for a look. Who knows!?! Might survive yet 😉
Image

Orange AD30
Fender HRD
Orange SP 212
Mark Bass Lil Mark III
Gibson SG Jnr
Yamaha SA1200s
CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Gibson Les Paul Standard
USA Deluxe Jazz Bass
MIJ Squier P-Bass

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests