Looking to upgrade our earplugs. Any recommendations?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Looking to upgrade our earplugs. Any recommendations?

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:50 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm in a gigging band and we currently use Etymotic ER-20 plugs. We have used these for the past 4 years and they have proven to have excellent sound quality compared to the other models we have tried. That said, we are looking for something with even more sound protection. There are some gigs we play where the monitors/other bands are so loud, I'm still left with ringing in my ears at the end of the night (I have mild tinnitus and never play/see a show without plugs). Any suggestions on decent sounding plugs with >20db of reduction?

Thanks.

Joe Mac

Re: Looking to upgrade our earplugs. Any recommendations?

Post by Joe Mac » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:13 pm

I've been using various Etymotic brand plugs for years, and have been happy with them. Between loud amps and gunfire, my ears are already quite screwed with tinnitus, but I'm trying to keep them from getting even worse.. :roll:

I just ordered a pair of Westone TRU Universal WM16 to try out, after they were mentioned in a Sweetwater article. They also have a 25db model, which might be what you're looking for. These cost twice as much as Etymotic; if the WM16 arrives before Sunday night's band practice, I'll report back on sound quality!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:37 pm

Appreciate it thanks.

Joe Mac

Post by Joe Mac » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:35 pm

Well, I used em in Sunday night's rehearsal, which was at our typical Spinal Tap volume.. :lol:

They're good. Definitely more clear than the Etymotic -- whether they're worth double the price (for as often as earplugs get lost), I haven't decided yet. I felt like they didn't knock the dB down quite as much as the Etymotic, too, and I just ordered a pair of the WM25 to try out.

So a big pro for the sound quality, con for the price. Also the Westone large size (they send you medium and large plugs, with one set of filters) is smaller than the Etymotic large; if you have cavernous ear canals, as I do, they seem a little small. I had to stick them pretty deep in there to feel like they were sealing off the canal.

ElCollier23

Post by ElCollier23 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:22 am

I've been using these filtered custom earplugs from Big Ear. They are said to be made for motorcycle riders but I also use them in indoor gun ranges and when we're waiting for our turn when we're playing in an event. They are pretty good because you can change the filters depending on how much sound you wanna cut off.

Joe Mac

Post by Joe Mac » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:32 pm

Update: I'm back to the Etymotic. The Westone sound good, but the "large" size is just too frickin' small... More than once I've had a hell of a time fishing them out, even needing my band mate with smaller fingers to do so! :lol:

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:18 pm

I've gone back to my Comply Foam Plugs. They block a bit more top end than the ER20's, but I've been using them for the past few months and haven't had any pain/ringing.

Edit: Looks like the are now called the Comply Sonic Filters.