PPC212V HAS ARRIVED!!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

PPC212V HAS ARRIVED!!!

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:25 pm

Hello Everyone,

Falling out of love with the 412 and 212 I've had for years, blah blah I ordered a PPC212V.

First impressions:

The packaging is pathetic on a product of this price. No foam or padding nothing. Just a cab in a bag in a box. Come on Orange at least add some foam corners! Luckily no damage. There are gaps in the tolex on the front corners however. A perfectionist would probably be mad and send it back, but I'm getting too old for all that drama, plus it took nearly 6 months to get here.

SOUND???

I plugged in my R30 and my initial reaction was mixed. It's very muted on the top end, but on a positive note the typical Orange "Fizz" is hardly audible. There is significantly less presence than through my Port City. That said once I cranked it up a bit it started to sound great! I did not detect any harshness in the midrange and finally some thump from the amp without having to turn it up to ear bleeding levels. It also sounds like the Creambacks less efficient V30's at the same volume. I hooked up both this and my PC cab and had a hard time hearing it without putting my ear directly in front. Not a bad thing as tube amps usually sound better louder but worth mentioning if someone plans to pair this with a different model. Best of all you ask? The open back spreads the sound throughout the room. No more standing 1 inch off center and wondering if your amp is still on. I'm also quite pleased with the weight @ 40ish lbs. My last 112 was as heavy as this and nowhere near as full sounding.

I'll do a PPC212V/PPC212CB shootout next week when I have some spare time.

Final thoughts? I'm digging it. Easier to carry than the PPC212CB, and much less directional. If you are set on UK made I would recommend the V over the CB. That said, I would probably recommend the OB over all of them because these cabs are expensive! If you aren't tied to Orange checkout the Port City OS212V. Seriously an amazing cabinet for around the same price (if you are in the states).

Here is the cab:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VqGRqnpZJemP7P4H6

And here is the entire family:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6pUgHC2QxvFCt75GA

***Yes I'm still loving the Pro Junior as my clean amp***

Thank you for reading and remain joyful.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: PPC212V HAS ARRIVED!!!

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:39 pm

I lied here is the shootout.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... RBWFFHbldn

Fender Stratosonic Jr. with a Planet Waves 20' cable straight into the Rocker 30. Gain @ 1:30, t/m/b maxed. Zoom Q4N set to XY 4' away from the cabs. No effects in the DAW. Raw 32bit wav from the camera mics.

I was worried that the CB would sound better but I'm shocked at how congested, scooped, and harsh it sounds in comparison. The V has WAY more low end (really fills out the tone at low volume). I prefer the CB cleans as the V is a bit duller but for dirt the V wins by a fair margin.

Hope this is helpful to potential buyers.

RemainJoyful~

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:22 pm

I'll have to check that out later.

Glad you like it!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:29 am

Boy_Narf wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:25 pm
My last 112 was as heavy as this and nowhere near as full sounding.
What kind was it?

I have an Engl 1x12" and it's heavier than the Orange cab you got according to specs, never tried the Orange.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:50 pm

I may have been exaggerating a bit. But I've had an Orange 112, a Traynor 112, and a homemade 112 which had multiple speaker swaps. All in the 35lbs area which is close enough to the weight of the V but nowhere near the tone.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Sounds very good!

I still like the V30 too though.
If I remember right, you only bridge pick up guitars right?

The neo creamback almost makes that sound like a neck pick up.... very interesting.

On my own, through my V30 cab, I usually prefer the neck pick up.... but in band setting, the bridge pick up through the V30 works so beautifully.

That PPC212v looks to be an excellent cab for sure!!!
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:46 pm

I've got a stack of guitars but mostly play junior styles yea.

I really like the v30s in my r30c and port city 212. I think I may just prefer them in an open back or ported cab. Would be interesting to hear a set of v30s in this v cab. It's quite shocking how much more bass the V cab has. Even with the volume set to "late night writing" I'm rattling things on the wall. I've never managed to get that much bass out of the CB, and I can get a decent amount out of the 412 but it has to be cranked to a painful level (probably not the optimal to only be sending 7.5 watts to each speaker). The CB cabs will for sure cut through a live mix and I think this shoot out has helped me understand the whole V30 ice pick thing (harsh yet cutting heh). TBH I'm really digging the way the creambacks smooth out the top end. I may have to pickup a set to try in my port city... oh dear :)

Again I will reiterate the weight is amazing. I moved the CB from the top floor to the basement and back up for the shoot out and it's awkward for sure. Too wide to fit through a door walking straight into it, and if you have a bit of a gut there is no way you are walking through sideways. Team lifting is the best way. The V otoh I can easily lift with one arm (if need be) and can walk straight through any door. I'm overjoyed at this one point even if I never move it again. And don't get me started on the PPC412 :)

It's truly a shame that I was a "fanboy" for so long. I used to be against mixing head and cab brands and of course went straight for the most expensive cab assuming it was "best" for all situations (wrong). I think people focus far too much on heads when searching for their "tone". Thinking back, I wonder if I really hated the RV100 or if I just hated it paired with PPC412. Granted 100 watts is not needed these days, but I think experimenting with a few different cabs before over dramatically bashing the amp might have been a better option (woops). I have learned a lot about cabs in the recent months. Sure a 15 watt head might sound massive through a 812 stack, but you will never get the best tone/most efficiency that way. I'm starting to believe that speakers have a wattage "sweet spot" and I think pushing them a little harder makes wonderful things happen. My R30C sounds so good through the single V30 but my TT does not. I did play a TT through a greenback cab once though and it was glorious. Maybe the "times your amp wattage by two" rule for cab power handling is a good thing to follow.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:30 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:46 pm
I've got a stack of guitars but mostly play junior styles yea.

I really like the v30s in my r30c and port city 212. I think I may just prefer them in an open back or ported cab. Would be interesting to hear a set of v30s in this v cab. It's quite shocking how much more bass the V cab has. Even with the volume set to "late night writing" I'm rattling things on the wall. I've never managed to get that much bass out of the CB, and I can get a decent amount out of the 412 but it has to be cranked to a painful level (probably not the optimal to only be sending 7.5 watts to each speaker). The CB cabs will for sure cut through a live mix and I think this shoot out has helped me understand the whole V30 ice pick thing (harsh yet cutting heh). TBH I'm really digging the way the creambacks smooth out the top end. I may have to pickup a set to try in my port city... oh dear :)

Again I will reiterate the weight is amazing. I moved the CB from the top floor to the basement and back up for the shoot out and it's awkward for sure. Too wide to fit through a door walking straight into it, and if you have a bit of a gut there is no way you are walking through sideways. Team lifting is the best way. The V otoh I can easily lift with one arm (if need be) and can walk straight through any door. I'm overjoyed at this one point even if I never move it again. And don't get me started on the PPC412 :)

It's truly a shame that I was a "fanboy" for so long. I used to be against mixing head and cab brands and of course went straight for the most expensive cab assuming it was "best" for all situations (wrong). I think people focus far too much on heads when searching for their "tone". Thinking back, I wonder if I really hated the RV100 or if I just hated it paired with PPC412. Granted 100 watts is not needed these days, but I think experimenting with a few different cabs before over dramatically bashing the amp might have been a better option (woops). I have learned a lot about cabs in the recent months. Sure a 15 watt head might sound massive through a 812 stack, but you will never get the best tone/most efficiency that way. I'm starting to believe that speakers have a wattage "sweet spot" and I think pushing them a little harder makes wonderful things happen. My R30C sounds so good through the single V30 but my TT does not. I did play a TT through a greenback cab once though and it was glorious. Maybe the "times your amp wattage by two" rule for cab power handling is a good thing to follow.

Cab design does change things massively.
What sort of semi confession did you just make there re: RV100??? :lol:

The funny thing is I did the exact same thing..... I had tried the R30 and the AD30 several times in different shops before to buy my RV50. Every time, they were reasonnable turnover shops, and I'm sure they plugged me in new unbroken cabs.
As a result, i was less than impressed with either.

Fast forward a few years, I've owned a well broken in AD30tc combo (sounded amazing) and I bought a R30 head for peanuts to flip it, and through my own PPC212, it sounded way too good to let it go. The R30 sits proudly on top of my RV50 head to this day. Love them both!!!

My AD15 also sounds great through its V30.

Interesting musings for sure.
Ant

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:10 pm

Perhaps with a low mid focused amp such as the RV100, it would be best to pair it with a not so low-end heavy dark sounding cabinet :)

I thought for the longest time that Orange cabs could do no wrong. Most of my favourite bands play through Orange cabs, but they don't usually play through Orange heads (I didn't really pay attention to that part). Something super bright and painful like a Recto or a 5150 I'm thinking would sound amazing through an Orange cab as the darkness would balance out the tone. Where as the RV100 in all of it's murky low mid glory paired with the PPC412 I found to be complete mud regardless of where the "don't do much knobs" are pointed :)

I'm still glad it's gone as I traded it for my R30C which is still the best sounding rig in my arsenal.