Best cab to complete my rockerverb MKIII stack?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

leeowensoas1

Best cab to complete my rockerverb MKIII stack?

Post by leeowensoas1 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:01 am

Hey all, just a little informal survey, I have a RV100 MKIII and a PPC412 (straight). Looking to add a second cab to the mix, what would you recommend?

PPC412 (Angled)
PPC212 (closed)
PPC212 (open-back)

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Best cab to complete my rockerverb MKIII stack?

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:29 pm

If you love Orange PPC212OB I would say. Would help to spread the sound in the room more.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:08 pm

Something to be aware of before making that decision.

Each 16ohm cab would get 50% of the power. So if mixing a 212 with your 412, each speaker in the 212 will see 25% of the power, each speaker in the 412 will see 12.5% of the power.

So a 212 woukd become the dominant cab, which may or may not be so noticeable.

Personally, just as recommended by Boy Narf, I'd recommend the OBC212. Because of it's open back nature, it would help filling up the room and be a real benefit in un-mic'ed situations.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

leeowensoas1

Post by leeowensoas1 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:05 pm

Thanks all, I suspected the open back would be the right choice, probably the most versatile. If I were to run the rockerverb through JUST the 212OB, would it sound quieter than through JUST the 412? I guess I don't exactly understand the relationship between # of speakers and (perceived) volume. Would a smaller cab sound quieter or is that more a function of using DIFFERENT speakers than the v30

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:00 am

I ran through a 612 for years. No big issues with volume. The 412 is hitting your legs so it's more of a fullness it ads more than a perceived volume boost. Adding the 212 will make it seem louder as now it's closer to your ears.

I believe adding another speaker adds about 3db, but since it would be sending half the wattage I think it would be the same volume but just sound bigger. Don't worry too much about it. Tbh I would ditch the 412 and pickup a pair of the ob cabs. They will have more bass, spread the wattage evenly, be way easier to move around, and be WAY less directional. I really don't like Orange CB cabs anymore as I'm finding them harsh and conjested sounding as of late.

An interesting option would be to take the back off the 412 and give it a whirl. If you are a bit handy you could do a semi closed back out of plywood. You prob won't need a other cab as it will sound way more open.