New Rocker 30 goofball questions

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

elvisdog

New Rocker 30 goofball questions

Post by elvisdog » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:17 pm

Picked up the Rocker 30 for a good price off Craigslist, a couple of questions: does anybody know whether the treble knob is "small" or "medium?" $8 shipping on a $5 part so I want to guess right. Also, how much of a PITA is it to switch tubes? Any trick to it? Ordered a new set before I looked at the back of the amp, and it looks like a job for Superman.

Cool amp. Maybe a one-trick pony (the clean channel is pretty lifeless, part of why I wanted to do a tube switch) but it's a very good trick. Loud enough for anything I play, and nicely compact, though heavy.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: New Rocker 30 goofball questions

Post by Jondog » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Congrats! The gain and volume knobs are medium size and the eq knobs are small. The Natural channel (notice it doesn't say clean channel like other Orange amps) actually has lots of life to it if you crank it up. It’ll push the poweramp into breakup, and the only way to get pre-amp distortion is by using a pedal. Its not really a clean channel in the traditional sense, just a single gain stage with no tone stack.

elvisdog

Post by elvisdog » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:45 pm

yeah, I'm reserving judgment on the natural channel till I get new tubes in this thing. From all appearances it's been rode hard & put up wet so I would be surprised if the glass that was in there didn't need replacing. whatever's in there now, the dirt channel is killing it.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:33 am

I find the natural channel really sweet with some reverb too.

I quite like it, but then, I'm not after fender cleans - it has strict limitations for sure.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

elvisdog

Post by elvisdog » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:13 pm

retubed with JJs all around, 6CA7s in the power dept., Natural channel sounds perfectly good and usable. As I suspected, the tubes were pretty shot -- original Orange EL34s with the bases & guide pins rotted off & stuck in the sockets. Sounds a little stiffer all around with the new glass but I'll explore around & see later on. Seriously cool amp so far. Sounds good by itself, also with a ppc112 extension cab, looks kind of sharp as a mini-stack.