OR100 Dirt Pedal Recommendation

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Hologram

OR100 Dirt Pedal Recommendation

Post by Hologram » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:45 am

Hey all,

I’m trying to find a good overdrive to give my OR100 a tighter, more modern sounding distortion. I use it for its excellent cleans and thick distortion but I’m looking for a sound that’s also suitable for playing fast, drop-tuned riffs. Some bands I’m trying to emulate are Full of Hell, Friendship, and Sumac. All of these bands use Orange amps too, just not the OR100.

I have thought about getting a TH100 to use exclusively for playing those extreme styles since that’s what Friendship & FOH use. However, having a pedal that could give me a similar sound would be much more practical and economical. I also love how the low end on the OR100 sounds which is something I would like to retain.

I run my head through an Atlas 2x12 with an eminence swamp thang and wizard. I also use EQ Devices Warden Compressor and Arrows Preamp booster to tighten the sound up but it isn’t giving me what I’m looking for. I’m currently giving some consideration to the Mesa Boogie Flux Drive.

Please let me know if you have any good suggestions. Thanks!

mici88
Tiny Terror

Re: OR100 Dirt Pedal Recommendation

Post by mici88 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Why not try a Ibanez TS-9 / Maxon OD-9? That would be a good starting point to tighten up your overall tone and add even more grit. I use OD-9 in front of my Rockerverb MK1 pretty much all the time.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:27 pm

mici88 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:48 pm
Why not try a Ibanez TS-9 / Maxon OD-9? That would be a good starting point to tighten up your overall tone and add even more grit. I use OD-9 in front of my Rockerverb MK1 pretty much all the time.
After years of overdrives and money, I think I love my TS-9 the most.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:50 pm

Jondog wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:27 pm
mici88 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:48 pm
After years of overdrives and money, I think I love my TS-9 the most.
There's a reason they're so famous.
They work well.

I had a TS808, great tone. Didn't try it for metal though. I love the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 tube overdrive ive got too, tube screamer variant, but it wouldnt work here as it's got a flat EQ. You could boost its treble control to get more cut and leave the bass low, but the original tube screamer, Ibanez or maxon, are the tried and tested method.
Last edited by Les Paul Lover on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Tisca
Tiny Terror

Post by Tisca » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:11 pm

Don't see it being "that" tight with anything in front. You might wanna consider a preamp pedal into loop return instead. Those Mooer mini pedals excellent and not pricey.
Orange OR100
White LW100

NateO

Post by NateO » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:08 pm

Sorry for the late reply! I run an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop of my OR100 and boy can I get a tight tone out of it! I suggest giving it a try if'n you're still looking for that sound. Cheers! :D

Jigsisme

Post by Jigsisme » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:40 pm

NateO is correct on an eq.
I took it a step further and added a resonance/presence in the loop as well. (Those 2 main pedals turn my DT into a ravaging beast! And it's done the same with low/mid gain amps as well) Im actually gonna swap out the 10 band for a 3 knob eq for simplicity (EQD Tone Job has good reviews) and such pedals have the good cuts/boosts. Really, I enjoy these types of pedals for tone shaping rather than drive pedals. I guess that's why I enjoy Orange though, their sound/gain is always home.

If it has to be a drive/boost pedal then my vote would be a MXR micro amp as I've only had limited uses with others but the micro amp is either on the board or within arms reach.
I've been testing different boosts, od's, fuzz's, and currently looking at all budget of preamp pedals.
Mooer for budget and Victory amps for "with-in reach". I'm sure I'm missing a ton of others but I can't recommend the simple eq any higher. My res/pres pedal will never leave the board, it's just too damn handy making any amp, more!
(Sorry to ramble)

Hologram

Post by Hologram » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:15 am

Thank you for the last two suggestions, this is very helpful. I believe I will give the EQ pedal a try along with the microamp.