TH30 valves damaged in shipment - can I fix this?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

jonnycoolballs

TH30 valves damaged in shipment - can I fix this?

Post by jonnycoolballs » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi guys,

I just took delivery of a mint condition TH30. Well mint except for the fact the guy put the footswitch in the rear and it smashed up valves. I've attached images. It looks like two EL84s took the hit. All other values look to be in tact. This is my first valve amps so I'm very concerned about this.

So I'm looking for some advice in an attempt to salvage it.
  • Can I buy a pair of two new EL84 valves and install them myself? I've read some amps it's not advised.
  • Can I play without these two valves since this amp has a switch for running with two power valves?
  • Is there anyway I can test the amp with the two broken valves?
I had the shipping insured so I need to look into that now if I need to claim. I'd rather just get the amp working though.

Thanks guys,
John Paul

Images are here (I tried to embed) https://imgur.com/a/xUYpFvc

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: TH30 valves damaged in shipment - can I fix this?

Post by Jondog » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:52 pm

While the amp can run on two valves, I wouldn't suggest only having only two installed as it really depends on how the circuitry is laid out for only two valves to operate. If I remember correctly from the schematic it's not a typical layout for an amp with 4 power valves. It's do-able, but need to be sure of the valve locations as there are two pairs biased separately. You can buy new EL84's yourself and install them, this amp does not need to be biased. I would recommend buying a matched quad set and replace them all. Make sure the old pins (if any broke off) are out of the sockets before installing.

jonnycoolballs

Post by jonnycoolballs » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:23 pm

Jondog wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:52 pm
While the amp can run on two valves, I wouldn't suggest only having only two installed as it really depends on how the circuitry is laid out for only two valves to operate. If I remember correctly from the schematic it's not a typical layout for an amp with 4 power valves. It's do-able, but need to be sure of the valve locations as there are two pairs biased separately. You can buy new EL84's yourself and install them, this amp does not need to be biased. I would recommend buying a matched quad set and replace them all. Make sure the old pins (if any broke off) are out of the sockets before installing.
Great thanks man. Do you know what type of EL84s this takes? Is there a recommended brand? I guess I can pop one out and take a look. I'll order some later and hopefully, fingers X, it'll be up and running soon. At any rate I contacted the seller to let him.

Cheers,
JP

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Typically, Orange uses JJ tubes. Get a full set of EL84's - no biasing required....

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:53 pm

Yeah, get a matched quad. JJ, Electro Harmonix, sovtek, tungsol.... any el84 will work.

It's quite possible the other EL84 took a hit too, one of them looks bent, and could fail anytime. What a cretinous thing to stick the footswitch in the back before to ship it..... :shock: :evil:

One last point, bits of broken glass have most likely gotten in between the speaker cone and speaker frame. Make sure you delicately inspect the speaker and Hoover up / remove any bits of glass as the could rip the cone, or make unwanted noises.

I would totally remove the speaker to do that.

By the way, I would recommend buying a couple of 12AX7/ ECC83 too. They might have taken a hit too.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

jonnycoolballs

Post by jonnycoolballs » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:15 am

Guys I really appreciate the replies. The guy who shipped it is apologetic and has asked me to send on the cost of the valves. I hope he/we can claim something off the insurance. I didn't realise valves are expensive. Looks like minimum €60-70 for a quad set. I'm in Ireland hence the euros.

jonnycoolballs

Post by jonnycoolballs » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:23 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:53 pm
One last point, bits of broken glass have most likely gotten in between the speaker cone and speaker frame. Make sure you delicately inspect the speaker and Hoover up / remove any bits of glass as the could rip the cone, or make unwanted noises.

I would totally remove the speaker to do that.

By the way, I would recommend buying a couple of 12AX7/ ECC83 too. They might have taken a hit too.
Yes I was hyper aware of that, and I cleaned out the speaker but you're right I should probably remove the speaker to do a proper job.

I know I should probably buy the preamp valves too but damn costs are adding up. I suppose I should welcome myself to the world of tube amps :D

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Post by northernguitarguy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Ouch! I hate this story! Much has already been said. I'll second that JJ EL84's sound great with my Orange and VOX amps. As for buying extra preamp tubes, it NEVER hurts to have backup tubes, especially if you gig.

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Post by northernguitarguy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:23 pm

Note to anybody shipping a tube amp.....remove them and wrap in bubble wrap, secure tightly, no problems.

jonnycoolballs

Post by jonnycoolballs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:27 pm

Yea pretty crappy story. So I'm hoping my tubes will arrive tomorrow, if not then Monday. I ordered the EL84s for now. I've since cleared the expenses with the seller and the preamp valves too - as northernguitarguy stated, it NEVER hurts to have a set even if I don't need them right now.

jonnycoolballs

Post by jonnycoolballs » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:37 am

Update:

Well guys I'm delighted to say the power tubes came and worked and was finally able to play the TH30 yesterday evening! I've gone ahead and ordered the remaining valves to have as backup since the insurance is covering it. The seller has been very helpful. So after all the drama a working amp and no financial loss. Thaks for all your input and suggestions. Looking forward to playing more.

Cheers,
John Paul

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Post by northernguitarguy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:38 am

I love a happy ending!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:53 pm

jonnycoolballs wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:37 am
Update:

Well guys I'm delighted to say the power tubes came and worked and was finally able to play the TH30 yesterday evening! I've gone ahead and ordered the remaining valves to have as backup since the insurance is covering it. The seller has been very helpful. So after all the drama a working amp and no financial loss. Thaks for all your input and suggestions. Looking forward to playing more.

Cheers,
John Paul

Fantastic!!

I love happy endings!!!!

How's the amp then? Does it live up to your hopes?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute