Dark Terror Volume Same in 7 Watts as 15 Watts !?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

adkguy07
Rocker

Dark Terror Volume Same in 7 Watts as 15 Watts !?

Post by adkguy07 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:23 pm

While playing my Dark Terror today, I played in the 15 watt mode. A few minutes passed and then I switched to the 7 watt mode. It was no quieter in 7 than the 15 watt side. I'm thinking that the amp is now “stuck” in the 15 watt mode. As a home player I do rely on the 7 watts for quieter playing not to disturb others. What would have caused the loss of the 7 watt side still sound like 15 watts ??

Thinking that it may have been tube related, I switched to brand new compliment of tubes and still
notice the same issue?!

adkguy07

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Dark Terror Volume Same in 7 Watts as 15 Watts !?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:05 pm

There is a small difference in volume between 7 and 15w, but it's not massive..... you'll notice it more with your amp cranked really.

If it really has gone, I assume the switch died.... but really, between 7 and 15w, the most obvious difference would be the clean headroom.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:59 pm

Possibly the selector switch, or could it be the gain knob...not responding. In either event, the amp's tone has definitely changed. I know because I've been playing it for just 2 years and this the 2nd. bad spell for it. So, after spending good money on fixing once, I have a decision to make; whether to keep and fix, or sell it and pick another new Terror....which one I have yet to decide.

adkguy07

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Just an update from a somewhat embarrassed Dark Terror owner. It looks like my Dark Terror is back to normal this morning. I put back in the older set of tubes and took out the brand new ones and to my surprise the amp seems normal with the right amount timbre to it's tone which by my standards
is more Jimmy Page like than Megadeth-like. I'm referring to the 7 watt side; which of last evening in that mode sounded more similar to the 15 watt mode. Just to be certain, my next practice will be at 15 watts to make sure it sounds as it did before it went all strange on me.

I have utterly no idea what could have happened. It was not the old vs new tubes because it occurred with both sets. It seems more like something did not switch correctly in the circuit to go from 15 to 7 watts...perhaps a transformer tap. Believe me please. At lower volumes for home use, there is a noticeable difference between 7 and 15 watts. It's not just the small change in volume; its' also has two slightly different timbres between highs, lows, and mids. Once again the shape knob makes shaping the e.q. variances as it should when yesterday the shape was having little effect.

Very puzzling.

adkguy07

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:48 pm

adkguy07 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Believe me please. At lower volumes for home use, there is a noticeable difference between 7 and 15 watts. It's not just the small change in volume; its' also has two slightly different timbres between highs, lows, and mids. Once again the shape knob makes shaping the e.q. variances as it should when yesterday the shape was having little effect.

Very puzzling.

adkguy07
Yes, the tone variation is more what you'd expect as the EL84 are starved in 7w mode.

I just checked a schematic, unofficial. If it's correct, the transformer provides the different current to the EL84 for the diffeernt 7w and 15w mode. (If that's not correct, please someone correct me.)

If that's the case, your transformer is fine. It would work or not work.

Switches, with actual mechanical parts, are more likely to work intermittently before failing.

Anyway, I like happy endings!!!!!
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:16 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:48 pm
adkguy07 wrote:

Believe me please. At lower volumes for home use, there is a noticeable difference between 7 and 15 watts. It's not just the small change in volume; its' also has two slightly different timbres between highs, lows, and mids. Once again the shape knob makes shaping the e.q. variances as it should when yesterday the shape was having little effect.

Very puzzling.

adkguy07
Yes, the tone variation is more what you'd expect as the EL84 are starved in 7w mode.

I just checked a schematic, unofficial. If it's correct, the transformer provides the different current to the EL84 for the diffeernt 7w and 15w mode. (If that's not correct, please someone correct me.)

Switches, with actual mechanical parts, are more likely to work intermittently before failing.

I do too. I have a schematic copy. I'll look for that. To switch; s it mechanical or electronic? Another response in another forum intimated a switch problem, perhaps, advised me to work the switch a few times, but I think I do that powered down. Seems to me if done under power, it might be a shock to the tubes involved. Anyway, I will test further by starting the amp cold and use the 15 watt side to hear any difference. For home use I find 7 watts is plenty loud to to get everyone to hear my point without bombarding their ears. Bonus: some interesting and great tones to be had.

adkguy07

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:24 pm

adkguy07 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:16 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:48 pm
adkguy07 wrote:

Very puzzling.

adkguy07

I do too. I have a schematic copy. I'll look for that. To switch; s it mechanical or electronic? Another response in another forum intimated a switch problem, perhaps, advised me to work the switch a few times, but I think I do that powered down. Seems to me if done under power, it might be a shock to the tubes involved. Anyway, I will test further by starting the amp cold and use the 15 watt side to hear any difference. For home use I find 7 watts is plenty loud to to get everyone to hear my point without bombarding their ears. Bonus: some interesting and great tones to be had.

adkguy07
It's mechanical.
Ant

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:09 am

Just a follow up on the Dark Terror issue:

I got my Dark Terror back from then vendor's tech/repair department. The tech told me that he thinks that my amp is functioning normally. Whatever I experienced in a sudden sound difference may be an intermittent issue and thus difficult to find. I did notice one clue as to what may have happened. For nearly two years of playing this Dark Terror, I noticed a scratchy sound from the gain pot every time I turned it upwards. Orange figures that it might be due to a batch of dodgy pots that they used in some amps.

All of a sudden that scratchiness has gone and I notice my amp a bit louder (as I stated) the gain character has changed, not much volume difference between 7 and 15 watts, and just a different “feel” to the amp. Re-tubing with a whole new set of the same exact tubes produced no difference. So, now I wonder if for two years I have not been hearing my Dark Terror in the manner it was designed; and viola', now I am!? Very strange in that two replies to my query say about the same thing, namely, my amp is working as designed!?

adkguy07