Tung sol 12ax7

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Tung sol 12ax7

Post by kpunk56 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:34 am

Ok so recently I’ve been itching to try different tubes in my rocker 30. I currently have Mullard el34s which I’m happy with. And jj 12ax7s. I have read tons of good reviews of tung sol. I’ll say that I bought one because I didn’t want to gamble and waste money. I figured I’d try in v1 and if I didn’t like it I’d try in v2.

I was kind of shocked that there was a big difference in gain. In v1 it wasn’t as much. But it seemed like the amp had to be pushed a lot harder. But then the difference in v2 was even more. The rockers gain had to be maxed to have any at all. Now would this of been a much different picture if I replaced all 3 preamp tubes verses just moving one around??? I honestly just put the jj back because I like better. I’ll stop experimenting for now I suppose.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Tung sol 12ax7

Post by Jondog » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:43 am

Seems really strange that you had to max the gain on a Rocker to get any gain at all.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:40 am

I'm wondering if you had a dodgy valve?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:56 pm

yeh it could be a dodgy tube, ( Les Paul Lover) . I am going to take your recommendation and try the tungsram preamp tubes. I just need to wait til I have some extra cash. I had the tung sol one on order already and did not pay that much for it. I was just kind of shocked. When I had it in v1 the gain loss was not as noticeable and the over all tone still sounded decent but then in v2 it was very different. Then throwing the jj in made it better. I just know that typically JJ are just sorta stock tubes that are not as expensive.

I wish I had a tube tester, but I am just getting in over my head at that point. I am not trying to be an amp expert, I am just a rocker. ha ha