I want an Ad30

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kpunk56
Orange Hero

I want an Ad30

Post by kpunk56 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:25 am

It’s been along time ago since I played through an Ad30. Like over 10 years. But I remember it being pleasing. I have a rocker 30 currently. What I don’t understand though is I read things saying that they are super low gain. I didn’t remember them being like that. I seem to remember that they had sufficient amount. Why do I keep reading and hearing this ??? Anyway I’m on a quest to find one locally to compare I don’t want to get rid of my rocker. I just want both ;-/ Share thoughts please. Is there that much less gain than r30? Share thoughts please. Jimmy page tone with ad30 is amazing.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: I want an Ad30

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:21 am

Are you talking about the ad30 twin channel?

They are not super low gain so no idea where you've heard that, it's got about the same amount of gain as the R30 .... , but due to its quality the knobs can be used to set it up to give it quite a lot of clean headroom ie with volume on max use gain as the volume control and channel one really sounds good set clean this way, you can certainly do the same with the R30.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:12 am

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:21 am

They are not super low gain so no idea where you've heard that, it's got about the same amount of gain as the R30 .... , but due to its quality the knobs can be used to set it up to give it quite a lot of clean headroom ie with volume on max use gain as the volume control and channel one really sounds good set clean this way, you can certainly do the same with the R30.
See that’s what I thought. I don’t recall it being a lot less in the gain area than the r30. It’s just been so long since I played through one but when I read reviews it almost seems like they act like you don’t have any unless the amp is cranked wide open. I hope I can find one to just mess with one for a little bit.
I kinda would like to get a th30 also. Ad30 first for sure. I want a collection.

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:28 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:21 am

I think I’d go for the twin channel. But I wouldn’t be apposed to a single if I came across one.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:41 pm

The AD30 is just brilliant at low gain settings. The channel 1 is amazing at those edge of break tones, and the gain increase is very gradual, making it super easy to add the gain you need.

Whereas the R30 is pretty abrupt.... at noon on the Dirrty channel it still almost clean, at 1 o'clock it's pretty thick and filthy....

Both great amps.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:41 pm
The AD30 is just brilliant at low gain settings. The channel 1 is amazing at those edge of break tones, and the gain increase is very gradual, making it super easy to add the gain you need.

Whereas the R30 is pretty abrupt.... at noon on the Dirrty channel it still almost clean, at 1 o'clock it's pretty thick and filthy....

Both great amps.

As someone with an Ad30 and an r30. What do you think you’d pick if you had to have only one ? I see you have an ad5 and 15 also. I kinda want one of each of those as well.

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:03 pm

Well duh. I’m sorry I read wrong. I guess you got rid of the rocker —- do you prefer the ad?

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:02 pm

I only played an AD30TC once. Wasn't a huge fan of how the channels differed. If I ever saw a single channel head (did they even make one???) I would snatch it up in a hurry!

The AD30 does sound glorious on edge of breakup. The R30, does not do that sound very well. R30 is all about roaring gain. Versatility would lead me to the AD30 + boost if you need more gain.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:43 pm

kpunk56 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:03 pm
Well duh. I’m sorry I read wrong. I guess you got rid of the rocker —- do you prefer the ad?
I didn't keep the AD30tc because it was a combo.... (massively heavy) and I have an AD15, same as the channel 1 on the AD30tc.

The AD30tc did sound bigger and better than my AD15, but I already had my RV50 for bigger watt needs, and the AD15 combo was more practical and still sounds phenomenal, so I kept that one. The AD15 is a brilliant grab and go practice amp.

I also have an AD5 (No rectifier, sounds quite different. The AD5 reminds me more of the R30.....).

So I'm very lucky.... I have the AD5, AD15, R30 and RV50. And I love them all, all quite different really.

Make no mistakes, the AD30tc is a modern classic. Sounds incredible at jazz, blues, rock, indie..... great amp.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:51 pm

kpunk56 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:03 pm
I read wrong too..... didn't see your previous reply in my quoted message!!!!! :lol:

If I had to have one only of the R30 or AD30.....
I suppose the AD30 makes more sense. Sounds great, can do any rock tone you want. More polyvalent, and the AD30 has some of the best cleans I've ever heard.

But, god, the R30 dirty channel...... that's something special.

Essentially, I'm really glad I don't have to make the choice!!!!
Ant

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:31 pm

Several years ago on two separate occasions 2005 and then again my band recorded in two different studios. The first of which had several amp options. The AD30, a boogie studio 22, tweed bassman, a sovtek mig 60 and a Marshall jmp. I was smitten with the Ad30. Two years later a different studio had one and I loved it. Fast forward to 2014 when I got my R30. I didn’t feel like it was a ton different. But maybe more in your face and less spanky. Which I guess as a preference I would like more spongy at low volumes. But live I think I’d prefer more raw like the r30. I have gigged several times with the r30 and it has delivered and never let me down. I do go through phases where I get absolutely obsessed with orange amps. So recently I have been wanting one just because I want one. Do I need it ? Not really. But why not. Now the quest for one might take awhile because well I don’t play out nearly as often now and when I do the r30 is there. I have a wife I have to justify to and a child lol. But anyhow if I get my hands on one and fall in love I will make it happen. Or if I can find a deal hard to pass up .. also I’d probably get the tc or combo. But the single channels look cool. Before I even recorded with an orange I saw a band called Broken Teeth and their guitar players tone was soooooo good he had an Ad30 single and 2x12. Kinda was the first spark into the world of orange. So if I come across a single for a good deal I guess I could deal.************oh and btw the second studio from 2007 had a rv50 and I hated it. I felt like it was the most stiff and brittle amp. It didn’t seem to have complex harmonic texture like the ad30 did or the r30. Absolutely hated it

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:39 pm

I think the amp is thought of as low gain in comparison to other modern amps. It certainly isn’t something like a deluxe reverb where you have to push the volume to get any gain but I feel like it needs more volume to get a good gain tone compared to stuff like my RV or TH30.

I remember first trying out the AD30tc combo at a local guitar store and hating it. It felt so bland and lacked any real character. Then I grew up and realized it’s intentions and uses... it’s funny because the AD30 I tried years earlier never sold at the store so when it went out of business, I snagged it for what felt like theft. I love the amp.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:25 am

Awesome thanks for sharing.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:53 am

afjungemann wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:39 pm
I think the amp is thought of as low gain in comparison to other modern amps. It certainly isn’t something like a deluxe reverb where you have to push the volume to get any gain but I feel like it needs more volume to get a good gain tone compared to stuff like my RV or TH30.

I remember first trying out the AD30tc combo at a local guitar store and hating it. It felt so bland and lacked any real character. Then I grew up and realized it’s intentions and uses... it’s funny because the AD30 I tried years earlier never sold at the store so when it went out of business, I snagged it for what felt like theft. I love the amp.
Yep , I can see why they may come across as bland in a shop setting ....they need volume and the valves working hard ..... then they sound great.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:26 pm

afjungemann wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:39 pm

It's funny, l remember trying out both the R30 and AD30 in reasonably high turn over UK shops. I didn't like them then, and they didn't sound like how I know they can. I reckon I played them through new display cabs, with unbroken V30 speakers. Just really harsh and stiff.

Not anything like the AD30tc combo I had, which was lovely, or my R30 through my well broken in PPC212.
Ant