OT: NAD

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bclaire
Forum Moderator

OT: NAD

Post by bclaire » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Not an Orange, but my brother shows up at my house the other day and says "I have something that you might be interested in and I thought I'd check before I bring it to the transfer station."

In the back of his ancient Suburban is a '65 Univox U-45B amp. Original Jensen Special Design speaker, and some wacky tubes. Uses a pair of 6BM8 output tubes that I think are shot. (didn't sound great) The 12AX7 is an original Mullard - going to test it with my Orange tube tester when I get home from vacation.

Very clean... here's an inside shot. Just realised I don't have a picture of the whole amp...

Here's a link to one on Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/2220583-univox-u45b-1966

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Re: OT: NAD

Post by Norrin Radd » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:49 pm

Wow. Not exactly run of the mill!
Greg

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:31 pm

bclaire wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:46 pm
Not an Orange, but my brother shows up at my house the other day and says "I have something that you might be interested in and I thought I'd check before I bring it to the transfer station."

In the back of his ancient Suburban is a '65 Univox U-45B amp. Original Jensen Special Design speaker, and some wacky tubes. Uses a pair of 6BM8 output tubes that I think are shot. (didn't sound great) The 12AX7 is an original Mullard - going to test it with my Orange tube tester when I get home from vacation.

Very clean... here's an inside shot. Just realised I don't have a picture of the whole amp...

Here's a link to one on Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/2220583-univox-u45b-1966
It may also not soind great if the capacitors are original. Do you know of they have been replaced at all?

Very interesting find.
Can the power valves be sourced at reasonable price?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:44 pm

Yeah, I ordered some new power tubes that should be there when I get home from vacation. All electronics look fine - I know what you mean about the caps, but my gut feeling is, this amp was not used much.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:17 pm

bclaire wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:44 pm
Yeah, I ordered some new power tubes that should be there when I get home from vacation. All electronics look fine - I know what you mean about the caps, but my gut feeling is, this amp was not used much.
You know what it's like. For capacitors, not being used much is worse than regular use.

Realistically, all the elctrolytics are past their service life.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Gotcha. I'm going to try the new tubes and then look at getting my brother to replace the caps for me.. :mrgreen: .

... or I'll do it sometime.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:36 am

Hi Billy,

The 6BM8 isn't just a power valve. It is a triode + pentode, so can do both power valve and preamp duties at the same time. ECL82 is an equivalent.
I've got 2 of them (+ a couple of more standard others) in my little old 10W rated TOA PA amp, and that thing sounds superb.
Fortunately these valves are easy enough to find. I even sourced some NOS ones which should keep it going for the forseeable.

Yep, full cap job worthwhile. Hope it sounds good when done! :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!