AD30HTC -- No Sound -- Help Appreciated

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

DrGnosis

AD30HTC -- No Sound -- Help Appreciated

Post by DrGnosis » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:03 pm

Hello there,

So I was starting into the first song of our set with my amp going into the 16-ohm input of a backline (and beat up) Marshall 1960A cab, everything was fine for a few seconds, then the volume starts dropping, and a strange smell started coming from the amp (not necessarily a burning smell). I immediately turned everything off and ended up borrowing another amp (combo; not through the cab).

I took it home, hooked it up to my 16-ohm cab, and I didn't get any sound on either channel -- not even a hint of noise. I changed every tube 1-by-1 (both preamp channels; power EL84s; and rectifier tube) to no avail. I changed the HT fuse -- no help there. I took out the chassis to take a look under the hood, and there were no visibly evident abberances.

Here's the kicker -- the tubes still light up. I ended up dropping it off with my amp tech, but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what the problem might be.

Cheers!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: AD30HTC -- No Sound -- Help Appreciated

Post by Jondog » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:00 pm

You took care of the basics providing those components were good, so tough to say. Definitely right idea taking it to the tech. I’ve had solder joints go, traces burn off, components like resistors fail, loose wires etc... Hopefully its something simple like that. Getting power is a good sign.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: AD30HTC -- No Sound -- Help Appreciated

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:15 pm

If the valves light up, it means that valve heater power supply is still going - since that come from the main power transformer, it seems to indicate that it's still good, though the other windings in it could still be affected, they usually fail altogether.

Could be the a variety of things really. Hopefully you'll get it back soon enough in perfect working order!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute