I think I'll pull the trigger on Rocker 30 head

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mici88
Tiny Terror

I think I'll pull the trigger on Rocker 30 head

Post by mici88 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:21 pm

I have a Tiny Terror and Rockerverb MK1 50w.

Somehow I was always curious about Rocker 30 and found it in a local second hand guitar store. It seems to be the great, raw, ultimate rock amp. Am I right?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: I think I'll pull the trigger on Rocker 30 head

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:45 pm

F*uck yeah. :D

I never meant to keep mine, but it was too beastly to pass on.

Goes very nicely with RV50 MKI.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:46 pm

you are right!

Digestive

Post by Digestive » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:37 am

Bought one recently, and used it at band rehersal for the 1st last night.

The R30 can totally hold its own and covers a lot of ground tone wise, and man it is one loud beast!

Absolutely no regrets buying this amp.....

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:03 am

Good to hear that, and you did not help me with G.A.S right now! I'm going to try it tomorrow, I'll share my impressions!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:13 pm

mici88 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:03 am
Good to hear that, and you did not help me with G.A.S right now! I'm going to try it tomorrow, I'll share my impressions!
Yeah, let us know what you think.

The clean channel is limited, but does well within it's limitations. It's voiced pretty nicely, and breaks up (pure power valve overdrive then) and a very old school, low gain rock n roll way.

As to whether you can make any use of that, difficult to tell.

But the dirty channel is beastly. Worth the entry ticket on its own.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:48 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:13 pm
mici88 wrote:

The clean channel is limited, but does well within it's limitations. It's voiced pretty nicely, and breaks up (pure power valve overdrive then) and a very old school, low gain rock n roll way.

So there it is, folks!

I feel like I was fooling myself that I will hesitate to buy it :D

It's a beast. Pure rock beast. Clean channel works surprisingly well and it's voiced perfectly, even without any EQ controls. Just clean > breakup > crunch, all I'd expect from clean!

Dirty channel is magic. Classic Orange, but with jcm800-ish twist. Takes boost (TC Spark Mini) very, very well!

All I can say is I'm in love!
Last edited by mici88 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:58 am

mici88 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:48 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:
mici88 wrote:

So there it is, folks!

It's a beast. Pure rock beast. Clean channel works surprisingly well and it's voiced perfectly, even without any EQ controls. Just clean > breakup > crunch, all I'd expect from clean!

Dirty channel is magic. Classic Orange, but with jcm800-ish twist. Takes boost (TC Spark Mini) very, very well!

Contrats!!!

When I bought mine, I just bought it because it was too cheap to pass. I was gonna make a profit selling it.... Until I plugged in. I couldn't sell it on.

You got yourself a great amp there. So different to your RV50, which makes keeping both an easy decision!!!

I'm wondering if your 6CA7 are original to the amp. It's a cathode biased amp, and the power valve cook a bit extra for it. If playing a low E feels more rounded rather than a piano slapping low note, you may want to change the power valves. As said, it's cathode biased, so you can simply replace them yourself.

What are the orange rubber rings? Some silicone dampeners? I'm wondering if they offer any benefit in a head?
Ant

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:17 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:58 am
mici88 wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:

So there it is, folks!

Contrats!!!

When I bought mine, I just bought it because it was too cheap to pass. I was gonna make a profit selling it.... Until I plugged in. I couldn't sell it on.

You got yourself a great amp there. So different to your RV50, which makes keeping both an easy decision!!!

I'm wondering if your 6CA7 are original to the amp. It's a cathode biased amp, and the power valve cook a bit extra for it. If playing a low E feels more rounded rather than a piano slapping low note, you may want to change the power valves. As said, it's cathode biased, so you can simply replace them yourself.

What are the orange rubber rings? Some silicone dampeners? I'm wondering if they offer any benefit in a head?
Power tubes were replaced for sure, so I do not how the original ones sounded.
Unfortulately I've noticed those silicone dampeners when I got home, so I did not asked the sellers why they are there. Maybe they prevent the tubes from excessive vibrations, or something? No idea whatsoever.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:44 am

The rings are meant to help with tube rattle. Not a bad thing to have, more popular in hifi applications.

spytock

Post by spytock » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:57 pm

Congrats, you won't regret it I promise. The rocker 30 was my second Orange amp, mine is a combo tho. I gigged it alot and it never let me down, This thing can get heavy, I play mostly stoner metal and trash and this works perfectly, it's a mistake to stapple this as a rock only amp hahaha, it screams!

kpunk56
Orange Hero

Post by kpunk56 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:24 pm

Rocker 30 is best for sure. I love all orange amps in some way. But the rocker remains king.

b80
Tiny Terror

Post by b80 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:18 pm

mici88 wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:
mici88 wrote:

So there it is, folks!

Grats on the amp, dude!! Hope you love yours as much as I love mine!!! This is the BEST amp I have EVER played!

My band The Start Up
Spotify

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:17 pm

b80 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:18 pm
mici88 wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:

So there it is, folks!

Grats on the amp, dude!! Hope you love yours as much as I love mine!!! This is the BEST amp I have EVER played!

Yeah, I love it! TBH, I prefer my Rocker 30 over Rockerverb MK1 for rhythm work. There is certainly something about it!

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:08 am

I'm still waiting on my Rocker 30. Seems like one of those heads that's worth the wait.... and then it stays in the family.