what is the highest gain Orange in production atm?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

caldurham
Rocker

what is the highest gain Orange in production atm?

Post by caldurham » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:52 pm

so what is the highest gain Orange amp in production at the moment?
or at least still available?
seems you can't get the dual dark or the jim root terror new anymore.

would it be the th30 or the the dark terror? or something else?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: what is the highest gain Orange in production atm?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:30 pm

TH30, Dark Terror and Rockerverb all have more than enough gain. 4 gain stages.

Dunno, I never "seriously" max out my RV50. It's fun for leads or fooling around, but it's super compressed and looses dynamics. Same with all the amps I've tried.

Is anyone here actually gigging a 4 gain stages amp with the gain maxed out?
I'd be interested to know - and what sort of music/applications.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:25 am

Dark Terror owner here. I know it has 4 gain stages, but in reality, I don't know of anyone consistently using their Dark Terror or TH30 with the gain knob nearing maximum. If we are discussing a “special effect” or an overdub in a recording studio, I can see the 4th gain stage perhaps useful.

I never have my Dark Terror's gain beyond 10:30 am and that spot up to 11:00 am seems to get me a convincing dirty tone using my Les Paul's bridge and middle positions. I just switch to my neck pickup for “clean”. I find that that clock position on the gain knob is my “sweet spot” which allows my Les Paul's tone to still be recognizable and at the same time produce that familiar Orange grunt. I've also learned that lower wound Humbuckers work better at driving guitar and amp into that “sweet spot”.

adkguy07

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:26 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:30 pm
TH30, Dark Terror and Rockerverb all have more than enough gain. 4 gain stages.

Dunno, I never "seriously" max out my RV50. It's fun for leads or fooling around, but it's super compressed and looses dynamics. Same with all the amps I've tried.

Is anyone here actually gigging a 4 gain stages amp with the gain maxed out?
I'd be interested to know - and what sort of music/applications.
RV50 MK1 6v6 user here. I've never gone above 2:00 with gain on dirty channel, because it becomes pretty much useless, even for a fooling around as you've said. It usually keep at 1:00, an that is already pure madness with my Hot-Rails Telecaster. If I need an extra juice or lift for solo then TC Spark Mini does the job.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:56 pm

but noone knows which orange amp has the highest gain still available? i don't care about maxing gain out i just want to know which has the highest gain.

i am still assuming the th30 or dark terror.

the cr60 or cr120 has 4 gain stages as well correct?

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:48 pm

caldurham wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:56 pm
but noone knows which orange amp has the highest gain still available? i don't care about maxing gain out i just want to know which has the highest gain.

i am still assuming the th30 or dark terror.

the cr60 or cr120 has 4 gain stages as well correct?
Maybe a noob question, but how do you measure "highest gain"? Final result, at least tone-wise, depends on a pickup (I guess), speaker (might be), playing dynamics (huh?).

I can make my Tiny Terror sound heavy as f*** if I want to although it has only two gain stages.

Anyways, I say RV has the most gain of all Orange amps produced right now.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:28 pm

i guess i mean preamp wise. which orange amp's gain circuit/stages push the preamp the most? before the dual dark's were discontinued i'd say they had the most obviously.
when i had a epi valve junior i could get it into death metal territory with a good distortion pedal and boost. way less gain than a terror. i don't have it anymore but i kept the cab, it's a great cab. the valve junior is a great amp too, don't get me wrong.

anyone else agree the rv has the most gain?

i am just curious. it's hard to tell just from reading about the amps on the orange amp site.

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:12 pm

All the amps with 4 gain stages are tied for most gain. Like others have said, I barely use the second stage. Somewhere between the 3rd and 4th hashmark is pretty much perfect. If you play metal, you probably go a bit past that.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:23 am

Like others said, Rockerverb based amps in basic terms. Theres tweaks to voltages and signal filtering and such that could make one more than the other, but all in the ball park close to the same. Leave out anything that doesn’t have 4 gain stages.

groundmeat
Tiny Terror

Post by groundmeat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:49 am

I'd imagine the Dual Dark 100's are the heaviest heavy metal beasts they make. I know that Matt Pike from High on Fire was using a combination Dual Dark 100's and Rockerverb 100 mk3's.

But from looking at the valve positions via the Orange site...

https://orangeamps.com/wp-content/uploa ... rk-100.pdf

...it appears that both channels are 4 stages of gain, no more than others like the Rockerverb or TH30.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:30 pm

yeah the dual dark's were the highest gain. but they do not make them anymore. easy enough to find them used.
everyone seems to say the rockerverb is highest gain now, but i wonder still.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:25 am

It's worth noting that circuit design will have a great impact on overall gain. My 2 gain stages AD15 has more gain than my 2 +1 switchable boost gain stages Black Pearl 30.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:27 am

Sootio wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:12 pm
All the amps with 4 gain stages are tied for most gain. Like others have said, I barely use the second stage. Somewhere between the 3rd and 4th hashmark is pretty much perfect. If you play metal, you probably go a bit past that.
All the gain stages are on at all times. Your signal will flow through all 4 triode of the 2 ECC83 at all times, regardless of actual gain.
Ant

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:42 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:27 am
Sootio wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:12 pm
All the gain stages are on at all times. Your signal will flow through all 4 triode of the 2 ECC83 at all times, regardless of actual gain.
You can plainly hear where each gain stage kicks in. I suppose that's the point where the output of one stage becomes the input of the next stage, thus increasing the gain. That's why it's called cascading gain.

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:47 pm

Sootio wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:42 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:27 am
You can plainly hear where each gain stage kicks in. I suppose that's the point where the output of one stage becomes the input of the next stage, thus increasing the gain. That's why it's called cascading gain.
This is my understanding of it as well, though now I'm second guessing myself as Les Paul Lover isn't usually mistaken...
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com