Any using a Wampler Tumnus ?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Any using a Wampler Tumnus ?

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:41 am

I'm liking the sound of what I'm hearing on utube for this pedal but I'd anyone using one with their Orange amp ? How's it sound/ compliment the orange tone?
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Re: Any using a Wampler Tumnus ?

Post by northernguitarguy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Beyond using it as a clean boost, I never played a Klon-clone that made me say more than 'meh'. You could try out a used Soul Food for $40 to see if you like that kind of OD.

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:06 pm

They work great with Orange. My clone is set up to be a boost at lower volumes, but the louder you crank the amp, the more distortion starts creeping in with the shrinking headroom. I think they're essential.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:41 pm

Another one to checkout is the MXR Sugar Drive. Includes a buffer switch like the KTR Klon.

beninma

Post by beninma » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:49 pm

I have a Tumnus Deluxe and I am not that crazy about it.

It works OK on the dirty channel of my Rocker 15 but not very well on the natural channel. If I'm going to use a pedal like that I'd rather it work well on both. The thing is the dirty channel does not need a particularly fancy OD to work with if you are mostly using the OD pedal as a boost. The more the pedal works as a booster and the less it adds it's own grit the easier it is to get a great sound.

I tried a Soul Food as well and the Tumnus Deluxe seems about the same. I think Klons have a mid-hump in a spot that is not real compatible with my particular Orange. Particularly on that natural channel it is really really easy to end up with a nasally sound.

Goal for me with drive pedals which can be dialed in to work well on both channels so that pedal gives you 2 options without having to change dials on the amp or pedal. Natural Channel, Natural Channel + pedal, Dirty Channel, Dirty Channel + pedal. I cannot seem to achieve this with a Klone. I can do it with the Maxon OD808 I have, so I like that better.

I thought the mids control on the Tumnus Deluxe would solve this problem.. it doesn't really. It adds and subtracts mids but they are always in the same spot that kind of interferes with the amps mids. There are a lot of other OD pedals where the tone knob actually shifts where the mid peak of the pedal is.. these seem easier to dial in. The TS has a reputation of having a big mid hump and it does, but it shifts around with the tone knob, so you can move the pedals mid-hump towards or away from the amps mid hump.

The Tumnus/Tumnus Deluxe are less noisy than some of the other Klones like the Soul Food, you can feel/hear the quality difference but it seems like all Klon/Klones have some inherent level of noise as you turn up the volume/gain and it's more than some other kinds of OD pedals.

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:26 am

Jon Bailey, senior amp tech for Orange posted this back in 2014:

https://orangeamps.com/articles/technic ... range-amp/

It may be of some help as to which types of pedals enhance an Orange, rather than work against it.
One of examples was the Mason 0808.

adkguy07

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:49 am

My Archer work incredibly well on both channels of my TH30, no problemo, but it's not adding any distortion. I've never used it as a distortion pedal.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:23 am

I have a clone klon...... but still in bits!!!!!

Looking into the art work now.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Vanilla Latte

Post by Vanilla Latte » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:48 pm

I'm using one on the clean channel of my CR-60 for my "edge of breakup" tone, and I really like it. I also use it stacked into a Fulltone OCD for old school metal tones, and honestly I have never been happier with an OD pedal. Never tried it into the dirty channel, because I'm using my CR-60 as a clean pedal platform.