Identifying Fake Rockerverbs ?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Zmw1999

Identifying Fake Rockerverbs ?

Post by Zmw1999 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:31 pm

Hello Forums, new here. I found a rockerverb mki in my town for sale for a good price and it looks to be in great shape. I'm just a little apprehensive about buying it for two reasons, the first is because it is in black tolex and the second is because the tubes have been changed. I'm not an orange historian, so are black rockerverb mark Is rare or could this be a fake copy? This is the only black one I've seen. And the tubes, Sounds like a a re-tube kit from reverb. The owner is not the original owner, beyond that I don't know the history. So i'm not going to blame the seller if it is actually a fake. I lovve the rockerverb sound so how would new tubes change the tone?

thanks all

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Identifying Fake Rockerverbs ?

Post by Jondog » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:39 pm

I wouldn't be worried over a re-tube, thats a good thing. They are/were sold in black tolex as well. Would be a tough amp to fake, and really not worth it for someone to fake.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:39 pm

Tubes go. In fact, they start to wear out from the moment they are installed and turned on.

Black is a color option for Orange ever since Jimmy Page asked for it back in the early 70's.

If you have a picture, you can link to it here or email it to me and I'll post it. Extremely doubtful that anyone would counterfeit a Rockerverb.

Zmw1999

Post by Zmw1999 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. I knew orange offered black, just not in the first gen rockerverbs. The tubes are JJ brand, so those should reliable?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:49 pm

Zmw1999 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:04 pm
Thanks for the replies. I knew orange offered black, just not in the first gen rockerverbs. The tubes are JJ brand, so those should reliable?
They’re decent tubes. Reliable is a sensitive word with tubes. If the amp works and sounds good, thats the best you ask for. New tubes may have a warranty on them.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:18 pm

Nah.

The RV50 MKI sounds plain better in black. It's a well known fact. :mrgreen:

Here's mine:

By the way, the RV50 MKI was designed around JJ 6V6s power valves.

Preamp wise, pick what you want, but unless you have access to NOS 6V6, the JJs are the most reliable modern ones.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Zmw1999

Post by Zmw1999 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:00 pm

I'm a week late I suppose, But I decided to go with the cr120h. The lower cost allowed me to get some new studio equipment I needed also so I think it worked out. Although now I'm second-guessing my decision. The cr120 sounds very muddy, almost flubby, in the gain channel, not really to my taste but it works for sabbathy stuff. I'm pairing it with a 2x12 and vintage 30s. Maybe its the speakers, my ear is not that developed to tell. The clean channel is great though