NPBD and how to remain joyful

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

NPBD and how to remain joyful

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:44 am

That's a concept. Remaining joyful.

My old pedal board annoyed me. Flimsy box design with all the pedals staying in the "lid" part of it. All layed out flat, with the patch and power cables going everywhere. Brought much frustration and not all that much joy....

So I went searching for joy (or a new practical pedal board that I wouldn't fear would fall apart) anytime.

Measured and selected something giving me similar board space, the pedaltrain novo 24, with the hard case as it looked solid.

Well....... I didn't read it all..... I only cared for the pedalboard size. In hindsight, may be I should have taken the flightcase size into account too.....

My old pedal board is the small case....

I could now play Russian Pedal boards, as my old case fits neatly inside the new one..... :shock:

The new empty pedaltrain novo 24 and case is as heavy as my old board fully loaded with 10 pedals.....

And now, my new pedal board fully loaded!

And that's the source of much joy.

All my OD and fuzzes are pretty dead silent too now, as I've upgraded to a True Tone CS12 along the way.

Here you are. Joy in a pedal board format. 8)

I'm very happy with it, even if the flight case is ridiculously huge. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Les Paul Lover on Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: NPBD and how to remain joyful

Post by Jondog » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:06 am

:lol: I like the pedaltrain boards, light and solid. Looks good! I had the same board, but with the soft case. I ended up cutting it in half to make two small pedalboards, that brought me joy for a little while but then realized maybe it was just a bad idea! :lol: I may have to look into another one. Joy is a wonderful thing to have! Congrats! Nice to see you're still rockin your diy builds. I love the bustier!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:10 pm

Jondog wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:06 am
:lol: I like the pedaltrain boards, light and solid. Looks good! I had the same board, but with the soft case. I ended up cutting it in half to make two small pedalboards, that brought me joy for a little while but then realized maybe it was just a bad idea! :lol: I may have to look into another one. Joy is a wonderful thing to have! Congrats! Nice to see you're still rockin your diy builds. I love the bustier!
Those pedaltrains are good boards indeed.

Yeah, still using the clones I've built. They're excellent.... which isn't s surprise as I didn't design them!!! :lol: Just populated the PCB correctly.

I've really enjoyed doing DIY builds. My next one is a klon clone..... And there's enough spare space on the board for it! :mrgreen:
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Post by stargazer747 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:58 am

I see a lot of wasted space on that board, I would be looking into filling every usable space, even if I knew the FX occupying it wasn't going to get used much.

Come on, you can do it, fill in the void so you can make even more noise!
Orange Rocker 15 Terror-EVH5150III-Hughes&Kettner-Marshall-Celestion-Jackson-Fender-Gibson-PRS-Laguna-AnalogAlien-Earthquaker-Walrus-CryBaby-MXR-BOSS-EHX-Ibanez-TCE-ZOOM-DiMarzio-ErnieBall-Tortex-Pedaltrain

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:51 am

stargazer747 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:58 am
I see a lot of wasted space on that board, I would be looking into filling every usable space, even if I knew the FX occupying it wasn't going to get used much.

Come on, you can do it, fill in the void so you can make even more noise!

Well, I can see enough space for a couple.
There will soon be a klon clone, and that will leave me with one extra space in horizontal format....

Or.... a midi switcher/looper thingy...
Ant

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:43 pm

Jondog wrote:
I like the pedaltrain boards, light and solid.
Their flight cases make up for how light they are :lol:
Don't get me wrong, their cases are super solid and I'd rather have them err on that side, but holy balls..for their size, they are the heaviest flight cases I've ever used.
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:35 pm

Phlowen wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:43 pm
Jondog wrote:
I like the pedaltrain boards, light and solid.
Their flight cases make up for how light they are :lol:
Don't get me wrong, their cases are super solid and I'd rather have them err on that side, but holy balls..for their size, they are the heaviest flight cases I've ever used.

It's an extremely impressive and heavy flightcase. The latches, in particular, seem to be massively overspec'd for the purpose. Not complaining, that's part of what I needed too, and that didnt disappoint.

It feels like if you were to drop it on a village from a great height, the village would fare worse than the flight case. But yeah, huge and heavy!!!!

Still, count me extremely pleased. And joyful.
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:02 am

Aaaah.....

What a joy killer...... went for practice this week..... plugged my pedal board.... no sound.

I know exactly what the issue was..... solderless patch cables.

Got a good deal a while back on a Lava kit, and tried it. I already had issues with them with my previous flimsy board, anf that issue pointed it's ugly nose again.

I will kill the joy killer.

I came back home and f*ck you solderless patches. All gone. I'm waiting for Van Danme cable and witchcraft pancake plugs delivery to reinstate the joy.

A shame, those lava cables really sound great- but have proved to be unreliable in my experience with solderless patches.
They don't cope well with even mild tugging.

In totally unrelated news, is someone is after around 20 solderless 1/4" male Jack, drop me a PM. :roll:
Ant

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:45 pm

You have remained joyful and not quoted the Narf?

I'm hurt...

You did succeed in pulling me out of hiding however.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:18 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:45 pm
You have remained joyful and not quoted the Narf?

I'm hurt...

You did succeed in pulling me out of hiding however.
Ah..... I should have written joyful TM. :wink:

Good thing. Hiding away from this forum never is a good idea.

And I myself have another instalment on the path to remain joyful.....!!!! :D
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:33 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:02 am

What a joy killer......

I came back home and f*ck you solderless patches. All gone. I'm waiting for Van Danme cable and witchcraft pancake plugs delivery to reinstate the joy.
I got hold of my Van Damme cable and switchcraft pancake 228 plugs.

Got the old soldering iron out. Cut lengths, soldered everything, got it right 1st time, continuity test positive on every single cable. I can feel the joy bubble building up.

Installed them, plug everything, play.....
No treble to speak of, tone as flat and boring as anything. That deflated the joy bubble pretty fast.

Investigated possible issues..... I didn't remove the secondary thermal conductive screen which seats between the copper shielding and the signal wire insulation. A small black layer, that seemingly is ever so slightly conductive.

Removed it for all cable I made, et voilà. All my cables now work fantastic, sound great, are the exact sizes I wanted them to be, and have cost me pretty little.

That Van Damme cable (when assembled correctly :roll: ) sounds great, is super cheap, and is extremely capable of reinstating the joy.
Ant