Thunderverb 50 and ppc112 Cab Question!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

darkscience

Thunderverb 50 and ppc112 Cab Question!

Post by darkscience » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:29 am

Hi, I noticed the Thunderverb Tolex covering is different texture than my PPC112 Cab. Where can I find a Cab with similar tolex texture? Lastly, would you recommend changing the speaker in the ppc112 to something better? Is the speaker that comes inside high quality? Thanks!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Thunderverb 50 and ppc112 Cab Question!

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:06 am

It's probably a Celestion Vintage 30 so yes good quality legendary speaker imo suits Orange very well but it's subjective so experiment - I also like greenbacks.

However if the cabs new the speaker will need breaking in and this will make a big difference to the V30.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:53 am

The bigger question is, are you using the 1X12 (rated at 60 watts) with a 200 watt head? That would not be recommended, to say the least. And I would have to echo Ronnie's response in that the speaker needs to be broken in - mine took awhile...

As far as tolex pattern, I think it has to do with where it was made. How different are we talking? I have a PPC112 and I never noticed any difference (now I'm going to have to go look).

darkscience

Post by darkscience » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:06 pm

My head is the 50 watt version, I got it yesterday, super stoked about Orange. I also own a CR20 and I honestly can do everything I need with the CR20, (it sounds mean when cranked), but I am fortunate enough to have some spare cash and decided to go with a Orange tube amp.

The tolex on the Thunderverb is more like a leatherette, I have seen this same leatherette type tolex on another Orange CAB in a Reverb AD but I could not put a reason to why it is different from the more common bumpy type tolex. The leatherette looks and feels more premium for sure, but it is not a big deal to me, just curious if anyone knew the history/details.

I also believe I need to take the amp to a shop, when I turn the Gain knobs there is loud popping noise. Everything else appears to be working fine, and it sounds great to me, but I have a feeling if I get new tubes it will sound better.

When I look at the amp from above, the left power tube is glowing bright, the one on the right is dim, is this normal? Super excited about the brand, the sound really is unique and it fits me perfect.

P.S. I should have tested the amp before buying it but the situation did not allow for it and I threw the dice. I think I will come out ok,

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:16 pm

darkscience wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:06 pm
My head is the 50 watt version, I got it yesterday, super stoked about Orange. I also own a CR20 and I honestly can do everything I need with the CR20, (it sounds mean when cranked), but I am fortunate enough to have some spare cash and decided to go with a Orange tube amp.

The tolex on the Thunderverb is more like a leatherette, I have seen this same leatherette type tolex on another Orange CAB in a Reverb AD but I could not put a reason to why it is different from the more common bumpy type tolex. The leatherette looks and feels more premium for sure, but it is not a big deal to me, just curious if anyone knew the history/details.

I also believe I need to take the amp to a shop, when I turn the Gain knobs there is loud popping noise. Everything else appears to be working fine, and it sounds great to me, but I have a feeling if I get new tubes it will sound better.

When I look at the amp from above, the left power tube is glowing bright, the one on the right is dim, is this normal? Super excited about the brand, the sound really is unique and it fits me perfect.

P.S. I should have tested the amp before buying it but the situation did not allow for it and I threw the dice. I think I will come out ok,
Is it black tolex? I think early on thats the tolex Orange was using for black.

darkscience

Post by darkscience » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Yes it is black, I dig the look of it.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:28 pm

darkscience wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:16 pm
Yes it is black, I dig the look of it.
Jimmy Page's AD30's have the same black tolex.

darkscience

Post by darkscience » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:09 pm

Guys thanks for your input. I contacted Orange USA for help with the Gain issue and they are emailing me a list of recommended techs in Florida. EXCELLENT SERVICE, sorry I am just so pumped about my new AMP, Orange for life :D

darkscience

Post by darkscience » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:10 pm

P.S. I am going to also get CR120...why not...so cheap :P