Rocker 15 Terror humming

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Isitheavierthanair?

Rocker 15 Terror humming

Post by Isitheavierthanair? » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:29 pm

Hi everyone

Just a bit of back story, I’ve recently returned to playing guitar after a long hiatus and was looking for a nice amp. Had my eye on a fender super champ and went to demo one, wasn’t really impressed. Randomly they had a second hand tiny terror with a 2x12 cab and I absolutely loved the sound and bought it.

Two weeks later I loved the tiny terror so much that I decided to upgrade to the rocker 15 terror.

The amp sounds gorgeous but there’s a persistant buzz/hum which gets louder from 0.5/1/7/15 watts. The hum is not affected by guitar, gain, pedals or even my house (tested at another) and remains when guitar volume is at zero.

The tiny terror did not do this and from reading some brief forum posts I’ve seen other people with a similar buzz issue but not many conclusive solutions. If I recall correctly one guy replaced for a new one and it was the same. Is this just the rocker 15 terror or should I try replacing tubes/get a tech to look at it?

Cheers.

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Re: Rocker 15 Terror humming

Post by northernguitarguy » Wed May 29, 2019 11:24 pm

I swapped out the JJ preamp tubes for some NOS Philips i65's and the Shuguang 12AT7 for a NOS JAN-GE tube. This in addition to changing the JJ EL84's for a pair of Soviet 6P14P-EV tubes. All of this did quiet the hum at high gain settings, but it wasn't unbearable to begin with. Natural channel is nice and quiet, no problems there.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:29 pm

I would think you have some microphonic valves. Play around, swap them and see if it improves.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:36 pm

northernguitarguy wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:24 pm
I swapped out the JJ preamp tubes for some NOS Philips i65's and the Shuguang 12AT7 for a NOS JAN-GE tube. This in addition to changing the JJ EL84's for a pair of Soviet 6P14P-EV tubes. All of this did quiet the hum at high gain settings, but it wasn't unbearable to begin with. Natural channel is nice and quiet, no problems there.

Funny, I've gone a similar route, but replaced my preamp valves with RFT and Tungsram ECC83 and ECC81.

I've gone with 6P14P EV valves instead of EL84 too.

All my amps are now dead silent. All hum has disappeared. I used to accept some hum as normal.... now I know it isn't!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Post by northernguitarguy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:36 pm
northernguitarguy wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:24 pm

Funny, I've gone a similar route, but replaced my preamp valves with RFT and Tungsram ECC83 and ECC81.

I've gone with 6P14P EV valves instead of EL84 too.

All my amps are now dead silent. All hum has disappeared. I used to accept some hum as normal.... now I know it isn't!!!
Them Russkie output tubes are the best out there. I found I got a little headroom bump from using them.

Cpr621

Post by Cpr621 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:38 am

Isitheavierthanair?

Did you get his issue resolved ? I’m having the same problem