OR15 or another amp?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Rolandandino

OR15 or another amp?

Post by Rolandandino » Fri May 31, 2019 11:05 am

I’ve been in the market for a new amp for a new amp and I’ve has my eyes on Orange for a while. I’ve seen the OR15 and can find them for a really good price, but I don’t really play with the super fizzy metal tone. I prefer to play more crunchy rock. Can the OR15 achieve these tones and tones like early Clapton and Zeppelin, or is there another amp that would be better suited? My go-to guitar is a 335. I also live a while away from a store that stocks these amps, so I can’t go play them anytime soon. Thanks in advance for the input

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Re: OR15 or another amp?

Post by northernguitarguy » Fri May 31, 2019 1:41 pm

Hey Roland....I'm new here too, good to talk to you.

I was set on an OR15 for a long time, but as soon as the Rocker 15 Terror was released my desires changed. I've played on an OR15 and the Orange crunchy saturated chime is outstanding!! However, I jam/gig with a band, playing rhythm guitar and vocals. There are a lot of songs where my part calls for a clean channel with tremolo, reverb, chorus/flanger, etc. I also greatly prefer my favourite FUZZ pedal, a BUGGFX Raincoat, be used with a crystal clean tone. The R15T, delivers, and then some. I added an Ibanez GE10 EQ pedal and it works well to deal with the lack or EQ controls on the clean Natural channel. And the Dirty channel gives you exactly what you want: killer Orange crunch.

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Post by stargazer747 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:53 am

I have a Rocker 15 Terror & the Brent Hinds one too, also the Jim Root Terror, Dark Terror, and Micro Dark Terror. I almost pulled the trigger on an OR15 too but I have this thing lately for lunchbox style amps. They are pure classic British crunch tone. They take pedals really good both in front and thru FX Loop. Plus the Rocker 15 & BH Terrors with their 2nd Natural channel makes them extremely versatile but you'll have to get the footswitch which they don't come with one. And Orange footswitch are FX pedal metal constructed type, not those black flimsy cylindrical plastic ones with the cable connected internally that all those other amp makers include (which look cheesy, IMO). You can use whatever instrument cable you want, any length, any color. Its worth the optional buy.

You will not be disappointed with the OR15, excellent high gain but can clean up very nicely, it will deliver bigtime!
Orange Rocker 15 Terror-EVH5150III-Hughes&Kettner-Marshall-Celestion-Jackson-Fender-Gibson-PRS-Laguna-AnalogAlien-Earthquaker-Walrus-CryBaby-MXR-BOSS-EHX-Ibanez-TCE-ZOOM-DiMarzio-ErnieBall-Tortex-Pedaltrain

Rolandandino

Post by Rolandandino » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:28 am

I appreciate the input, i will definitely look into the Rocker 15 Terror. I feel I should add that I do not gig at all, but I do play with others. I currently run through a Marshall origin, but I hear beautiful tones that come from these Orange amps that I can’t really achieve with my origin.

Beefeater

Post by Beefeater » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:59 am

I play everything from prog metal to stoner rock to classic rock and ambient soundscapes. I have a big amp for each, but overall my OR15 is the amp I play the most. It might not be as tight as my old plexi for those Jimmy Page tones but damn does it ever sound good! It's just so easy to play and has it's own unique sound that always seems to work for what I'm doing. Both are great amps. You won't go wrong either way.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:15 am

Orange tone is not about fizzy metal tone!... you should be very happy with the Or15 or Rocker 15 terror.

I own the R15 terror.Its a good amp and very versatile, both channels work well with pedals and the tube effects loop also sounds good. As all 15 watt orange tube amp it can get loud and Ive done several unmiked gigs with it through a 2x12 open back cab, yet is extremely portable. I think its exactly what your after.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:54 am

I love my OR15 but I wanted it specifically because it was a single channel amp so I can control it from the guitar. If that's not important to you, the Rocker 15 is a real humdinger.