Kongpressor before or after Two Stroke

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Landshark

Kongpressor before or after Two Stroke

Post by Landshark » Sun May 12, 2019 11:09 pm

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I use the Two Stroke more as an eq then boost. I was thinking after the TS but I’m open to experienced opinions.
Orange CR120C
Orange Rocker 15 Terror
Orange 212CB
Orange Two Stroke
JHS Haunted Mids
Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker
Gibson SG Jr
Gibson Les Paul Jr

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Kongpressor before or after Two Stroke

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon May 13, 2019 7:57 am

Where does it sound best to you?

That's really where it should go.
There's no right or wrong answer.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon May 13, 2019 6:55 pm

This is mine:

Fur Coat > (tuner) > Kong > two-stroke

works great that way.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 pm

Thanks for the reply’s. It just came today so I’ll experiment with it.
Orange CR120C
Orange Rocker 15 Terror
Orange 212CB
Orange Two Stroke
JHS Haunted Mids
Gibson SG Jr
Gibson Les Paul Jr

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu May 16, 2019 11:13 am

Landshark wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 pm
Report on your findings!!!
I had a kongpressor for a short while, and it did sound amazing!!! It makes you sound better all the time.... The sort of pedal you leave always on, as switching off isnt as nice.

Unfortunately for me, I depend on playing dynamics and amp response when set to edge of break up to go from clean to dirty quite a bit, and found that didnt work at all with any compressor.

Great pedal though, sounds superb.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:15 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:13 am
Landshark wrote:
I had a kongpressor for a short while, and it did sound amazing!!! It makes you sound better all the time.... The sort of pedal you leave always on, as switching off isnt as nice.

Unfortunately for me, I depend on playing dynamics and amp response when set to edge of break up to go from clean to dirty quite a bit, and found that didnt work at all with any compressor.

I use a Les Paul with my Dark Terror and do something similar to your method. I'm thinking your playing dynamics only includes guitar and amp? I use my neck pickup to get the cleans I need, then switch to middle position and or the bridge for my dirt sounds.....no pedals used for grit, save a hint
of reverb pedal. I have not found a distortion pedal that sounds better than the Dark Terror gain. I
haven't used a boost, but am open to finding one that does not color the amp tone too much.

adkguy07

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri May 17, 2019 2:03 pm

adkguy07 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:15 am
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:13 am
Landshark wrote:

I use a Les Paul with my Dark Terror and do something similar to your method. I'm thinking your playing dynamics only includes guitar and amp? I use my neck pickup to get the cleans I need, then switch to middle position and or the bridge for my dirt sounds.....no pedals used for grit, save a hint
of reverb pedal. I have not found a distortion pedal that sounds better than the Dark Terror gain. I
haven't used a boost, but am open to finding one that does not color the amp tone too much.

adkguy07
No, I play a lot of the time with my AD15 and Genz Benz Black Pearl 30. They are medium gain amp (2 gain stages for the AD15, 3 for the Black Pearl, though the AD15 has more preamp gain on tap...????).

With these amps, I can set my gain at a stage where if I strum / pick gently, I have an almost clean sound, and quite a crunch when I dig in.

I use pedals, but in terms of OD I've got a pretty transaprent Digitech Hardwire CM-2 tube overdrive, it really sounds like my amp, just with more gain. I actually rwally like the way it sounds, even on a totally clean channel. I also use a SHO clone booster and a number of fuzzes.

I like filth. 😁
Ant

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Sun May 19, 2019 10:09 pm

I experimented yesterday and today with the Kongressor. I found for me it sounds best after the Two Stroke. It just made the tone I get from the TS more 3D. Sounded fuller with more presence. I like that I could add a little treble with the chime control. It did exactly what I was hoping it would. Take my tone and kick it up to the next level. I play using gain from the amp so both pedals are always on.
The Kong before the TS just didn’t sound right to me. But might work for others. Especially if playing clean.
Orange CR120C
Orange Rocker 15 Terror
Orange 212CB
Orange Two Stroke
JHS Haunted Mids
Gibson SG Jr
Gibson Les Paul Jr