Orange’s grill cloth

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Orange’s grill cloth

Post by Jondog » Fri May 10, 2019 8:52 pm

Just thinking for conversations sake. It’s often been told that the basketweave grill cloth found mainly on Orange cabs has a lot to do with the sound and filtering of the sound waves out of the speakers. Anyone recall this ever being tested? Orange cab with it on vs. off? It’s not a simple test with an actual Orange cab, but could probably be tested by other means.

NJD3VIL77

Re: Orange’s grill cloth

Post by NJD3VIL77 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:53 pm

I'm thinking the plastic Orange badge on my PPC112 acts like a beam blocker. Honestly though, I've hated V30s in every cab I've ever used except the Orange. Love the cab. And I'm thinking with basketweave or cloth, it's still mass in front of the sound wave so it would have to be diffused in some way or another. What that effect is I couldn't tell you.

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Sat May 11, 2019 12:04 am

I remember when we used to remove the grills from our stereo speakers to let the high frequencies come though better. Not sure we really heard a difference but it was the cool thing to do. My guess is you might be able to measure a difference in very high frequencies with a high quality stereo, with and without grills, if you had a very sensitive microphone but probably couldn't actually hear a difference. A difference between Orange Grill cloth and others with the frequencies of a guitar amp? I doubt it.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat May 11, 2019 1:10 am

Sooner wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:04 am
I remember when we used to remove the grills from our stereo speakers to let the high frequencies come though better. Not sure we really heard a difference but it was the cool thing to do. My guess is you might be able to measure a difference in very high frequencies with a high quality stereo, with and without grills, if you had a very sensitive microphone but probably couldn't actually hear a difference. A difference between Orange Grill cloth and others with the frequencies of a guitar amp? I doubt it.
This is what I’m getting at. Is Orange’s grill cloth part of the sound. Or just hype as compared to any typical grill cloth. If you stuck Fenders cloth on an Orange, would you hear a difference. I tend to think cloth does make a difference between with and without, but how much between types of cloth.

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Sat May 11, 2019 3:19 am

Jondog wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:10 am
This is what I’m getting at. Is Orange’s grill cloth part of the sound. Or just hype as compared to any typical grill cloth. If you stuck Fenders cloth on an Orange, would you hear a difference. I tend to think cloth does make a difference between with and without, but how much between types of cloth.
There are a few examples where people have compared frequency response with and without grills (Google "grill cloth speaker response"). They all show minimal differences. I doubt anyone could tell the difference in a blind test. As for Orange cloth being part of the sound? I don't think so.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat May 11, 2019 8:08 am

I don't know if it's part of the sound..... But I sure love being able to brush it with water to get it taught again when it got depressed for a reason or another (like when one of my kids tipped my AD5 then decided to stand on the speaker grill cloth side to get to the next toy....... :evil: ).....
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

JJJ

Post by JJJ » Tue May 21, 2019 3:32 am

Most certainly does filter out a lot of harsh high end

I just installed some greenback clones that people on the net seem to think are too bright... they sound excellent in an orange cab and the manufacturer stated they sounded best in marshall type cabs with thick grill cloths over them, so there ya go

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue May 21, 2019 5:41 am

The grill cloth certainly impact more the high frequencies than others. When needed, I put a piece of gaffer on my JCM 4X12 to tame highs. It's not nice but very efficient.