AD30HTC - Trying to sort it out

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: AD30HTC - Trying to sort it out

Post by bclaire » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:20 pm

Yes, footswitchable.

Top row is channel one; bottom row is channel two my solo channel.

Sounds unreal.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed May 01, 2019 3:46 am

If your only playing with the volume set at 8 or 9 o'clock I believe that's a large part of the problem, your just not playing it loud enough....
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

chachi

Post by chachi » Wed May 01, 2019 1:20 pm

I started over last night. Put everything at noon on channel two. Off to a better start. I added an older Rat 2 with everything also at noon. That combination is closer to what I'm after vs. the how the TS9 paired. The TS9 stripped all the bass out. I guess I like a grittier/heavier tone that what I initially described, although I've never considered the Rat to be that heavy and they can be dialed back quite a bit. I'm going to work with this a little more and still maybe try the G12T-75s in the cabinet.

My guess is I'm trying to nail a Rocker 30 with an AD30 + pedal? What else might be good to try - Fulltone Fulldrive 2, OCD?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 01, 2019 1:49 pm

You sure can try all that, but I think you'd be better off with the R30, which is an excellent amp for what you described.

I say that, the AD30 is phenomenal too - but a lot more polite than what your trying to go for.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

chachi

Post by chachi » Wed May 01, 2019 2:40 pm

I think you're right, but if I had stronger output/brighter pickup I think I could pretty close with the AD30. Thanks for the replies. I'll search the forum for other similar set ups to get some ideas... and maybe start looking for a R30.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed May 01, 2019 4:55 pm

chachi wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:20 pm
I started over last night. Put everything at noon on channel two. Off to a better start. I added an older Rat 2 with everything also at noon. That combination is closer to what I'm after vs. the how the TS9 paired. The TS9 stripped all the bass out. I guess I like a grittier/heavier tone that what I initially described, although I've never considered the Rat to be that heavy and they can be dialed back quite a bit. I'm going to work with this a little more and still maybe try the G12T-75s in the cabinet.

My guess is I'm trying to nail a Rocker 30 with an AD30 + pedal? What else might be good to try - Fulltone Fulldrive 2, OCD?
Do you know anyone with an Xotic EP Boost?

chachi

Post by chachi » Wed May 01, 2019 5:14 pm

Unfortunately, no. But I had come across that as an option. Do you think it could get me into Sylvain/Dolls territory with AD30? My guitar is just not putting out enough to get there on its own.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed May 01, 2019 6:18 pm

chachi wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:14 pm
Unfortunately, no. But I had come across that as an option. Do you think it could get me into Sylvain/Dolls territory with AD30? My guitar is just not putting out enough to get there on its own.
Definitely. My Teles have hotter bridge pickups than my Strats, and the EP Boost brings the Strat right where you'd want it.

We do Gotta Get Away From Tommy by the Dolls in my band... ;-)

StratusX
Rocker

Post by StratusX » Wed May 01, 2019 10:51 pm

That's 100% the music I play up unto the more modern stuff (The Heart Attacks, Biters, Wyldlife, etc.) and the current Scandinavian scene with bands like Dead Furies, Scumbag Millionaire and the like.

In my PPC212 I replaced the V30s with a WGS Reaper and a Green Beret (G12H30 and G12M25 respectively) to give more of a vintage vibe. My main guitar is a 2011 Gibson Midtown with 57 Classic/57 Classic Plus pickups in it. Until last fall I also had a stock 1973 Gibson SG Standard that I ran through it as well.

For pedals I've gone through a bunch and the two pedals I've found sound the best for driving my AD30HTC (post 2008 big knob version btw) are a BOSS GE-7 and any type of Klon klone or Rangemaster type treble booster.

For Klons there are so many that nail it to where you can't really go wrong, but my favorite I've tried is the J Rockett Archer Ikon. J Rockett where commissioned to reproduce the Klon back in the day before Bill Finnegan dropped out of the project. If you want a real Klon(or KTR that is) directly from Finnegan himself, he's actually selling them directly on eBay again first come, first serve so good luck on that.

As for Rangemasters, it's another circuit that's been copied a million times and people typically get pretty close. From my personal experience the Daredevil Silver Solo kills it. Jext Telez make a great one also called the Range Lord, and even make a limited edition signature version for Greta Van Fleet called the Range Van Lorde. British Pedal Company make the most accurate reproduction I've seen and played, including replicating the original amp-top enclosures, but they'll cost you. All 3 of these can be found at Chicago Music Exchange if you're stateside.

As for Tubescreamer type circuits, I used to own an MXR GT-OD Custom Shop that I couldn't get to get along with the amp no matter how I set it. It boosted the mids in a weird way and the AD30, and Oranges in general really, are already very mid heavy.

As far as the Fulltone OCD, it used to be the darling pedal of the forums for a while, along with the Suhr Riot. It's pretty aggressive though so it may be way more than you need. I don't know if you're familiar with the band Creeper, but their guitarist Ian Miles normally plays a Les Paul through a JCM800. I saw them at Warped Tour a couple years back and he was playing through a provided AD30 and still getting his tone. I chatted with him a bit after the set and he said he set the amp pretty clean and just used an OCD to get a JCM style crunch. I have a pick of his board with the settings if you decide to go that route.

Another pedal I found to get a really natural Orange-style drive through the AD30 is the Boss HM-2. They've developed a cult like following and are becoming more rare and valuable, but my local Guitar center as of writing this has one used for under $200 so they're still out there and attainable.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction. My friend Kevin plays in a band of similar style called Kill City. He's also a member of the forum. I'll see if I can get him to chime in as well. He runs a Les Paul Junior into a Rocker 30.

**Edited because I type like a moron**
Hi, my name is Ian.
1973 Gibson SG
2009 Gibson Melody Maker
2011 Gibson Midtown Standard
2006 Schecter Hellraiser
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC108 X 2
Orange AD30HTC
Orange PPC212

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed May 01, 2019 11:41 pm

^
^
^
Probably the best advice yet

chachi

Post by chachi » Fri May 03, 2019 2:16 pm

Problem solved - I bought another amp! Another AD30! I think it's safe to admit here that I have a problem, but I think I have it cured. I went a few more rounds with the small knob AD30 and I was getting closer - I dialed the gain way back on Channel Two (9:00-12:00) and bumped up the master. I was able to get some overall nice clean/cleanish tones. The amp was responding and didn't sound like it had a blanket over it. But it still wasn't giving me 'that' sound I was after, but at least it was improving. Then...

Another AD30 large knob with PPC212 cab showed up for sale. I checked it out and it had the sound I remember from the first large knob AD30 I had. I got it back to my practice space and cranked it up and it's doing exactly what I hoped it would - w/out any effort or knob twisting. Beautiful thick chimey clean on Channel One and nice punchy breakup on Channel Two. I didn't pop the back panel to check tube stock, but it's loaded with whatever it came with new and it has very little use. I knew the speakers sounded right and I was pretty sure they were V30s. They sounded so good that I didn't care if they were Made in China vs. UK - I was just happy to have something with some bite. I did pop the input jack and look inside and unless I'm missing something they are UK Vintage 30s. I can see the white sticker on the magnet and I only see Ipswich. So unless there's a second white sticker with Made in China, I think I did real well.

I did plug the small knob AD30 into the V30 cab and it sounded better - to me - than the Private Jacks, but the large knob was superior. It had a different flavor. More chime and bite. I still want to find a nice OD pedal to compliment, but the amp sounds so good straight up that I'm not going to have to rely on finding the right pedal to make the amp work for me. I also checked it out with a few different guitars: my main Gibson Marauder, which sounded good; an Epi Wilshire w/mini humbuckers which pushed the amp more than my Marauder and the normally shrill mini hums were evened out with the lower end output of the amp; I also had access to a Earl Slick with a P90 - which was quite serendipitous considering he was an avid AD30 user.

secretsoundz

Post by secretsoundz » Sun May 05, 2019 4:19 am

For the sounds you're after I'd suggest a Thunderverb 50.
:mrgreen:

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun May 05, 2019 5:11 am

chachi wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:16 pm
Problem solved - I bought another amp! Another AD30! I think it's safe to admit here that I have a problem, but I think I have it cured. I went a few more rounds with the small knob AD30 and I was getting closer - I dialed the gain way back on Channel Two (9:00-12:00) and bumped up the master. I was able to get some overall nice clean/cleanish tones. The amp was responding and didn't sound like it had a blanket over it. But it still wasn't giving me 'that' sound I was after, but at least it was improving. Then...

Another AD30 large knob with PPC212 cab showed up for sale. I checked it out and it had the sound I remember from the first large knob AD30 I had. I got it back to my practice space and cranked it up and it's doing exactly what I hoped it would - w/out any effort or knob twisting. Beautiful thick chimey clean on Channel One and nice punchy breakup on Channel Two. I didn't pop the back panel to check tube stock, but it's loaded with whatever it came with new and it has very little use. I knew the speakers sounded right and I was pretty sure they were V30s. They sounded so good that I didn't care if they were Made in China vs. UK - I was just happy to have something with some bite. I did pop the input jack and look inside and unless I'm missing something they are UK Vintage 30s. I can see the white sticker on the magnet and I only see Ipswich. So unless there's a second white sticker with Made in China, I think I did real well.

I did plug the small knob AD30 into the V30 cab and it sounded better - to me - than the Private Jacks, but the large knob was superior. It had a different flavor. More chime and bite. I still want to find a nice OD pedal to compliment, but the amp sounds so good straight up that I'm not going to have to rely on finding the right pedal to make the amp work for me. I also checked it out with a few different guitars: my main Gibson Marauder, which sounded good; an Epi Wilshire w/mini humbuckers which pushed the amp more than my Marauder and the normally shrill mini hums were evened out with the lower end output of the amp; I also had access to a Earl Slick with a P90 - which was quite serendipitous considering he was an avid AD30 user.
That's great that you've got it sorted.

So the 1st ad30 was 2003 what years were the others?

Different speakers definitely make a big difference and V30s definitely sound good with Orange amps but do you think there's is something else like a tonal differences in how the amps sound?
I'd say that I've definitely experienced this with R30s I've owned.... Both combos with same brand newish valves , worn in V30 .......one sounded good but other sounded fantastic for no reason that I could identify.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun May 05, 2019 9:33 am

chachi wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:16 pm

Orange did upgrade the transformer from around 2006 onwards, so perhaps the newer AD30 has those better trannies?

Where the valves all new in the older AD30??

Have you tried swapping all the valves (keeping them in the exact same places) from one to the other?

I've had 2 AD15 at the same time. One of them sounded a but better than the other. I tried switching valves like I recommended, the same one still sounded better. I kept that one and sold the other.

Mind you, even the "lesser" AD15 was an excellent amp.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

chachi

Post by chachi » Sun May 05, 2019 8:12 pm

I'll check the year of the large knob as well as tubes. I think my small knob had Demeter OT, I'll check large knob. I'm not sure how old the JJs are in the small knob or what tubes are in the large knob but I know they have VERY little use; so tube freshness could be part of it.

Through the V30 cab there wasn't a night/day difference between the small knob and large knob heads, but I think there was a slight difference. When comparing the small knob though the Private Jack cab vs. the large knob through the V30 cab there was a larger overall difference. The large knob through the V30 cab just sounded 'right'.

I'm certainly not ruling out that my opinion was affected by the fact that I prefer the aesthetics of the large knob version and I knew I wanted it paired with V30s. And style obviously plays a huge role in speaker preference. For the sound I was after, the V30s are it, but for other styles the Private Jacks could be a better fit.