OR15 Better with Zero Pedals?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

NJD3VIL77

OR15 Better with Zero Pedals?

Post by NJD3VIL77 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:22 pm

So I've had my OR15 for about 2 weeks now and I couldn't be happier. I have a PPC112 to match the head and I am currently using no pedals in front of the amp. Guitar straight in. Through the effects loop i have an Eventide Timefactor into an Electro Harmonix Oceans 11. What I have noticed is there is a slight additional hum when the effects loop is engaged. With the loop disengaged the noise floor is lower and I'm finding the amp just sounds better. Has anyone else had this type of experience with their amp? I'm coming from an Egnater Tweaker 40 which had a dead silent effects loop, tube driven as well.

Thoughts?

Sootio
Rocker

Re: OR15 Better with Zero Pedals?

Post by Sootio » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:39 am

No problems with mine. Try replacing the 12at7 tube.

NJD3VIL77

Post by NJD3VIL77 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:23 am

Replaced the 12AT7 with no change.

NJD3VIL77

Post by NJD3VIL77 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:44 am

I'm thinking that the issue is ground related. I have a buzz through my guitars that goes away when I touch the strings. Both amps exhibited this buzz. Oddly my outlet tester shows grounding is ok.

Honestly though I think I'm going to roll with the "no pedals" thing and just enjoy the amp as is. I think the best thing overall for me is being able to focus on my playing instead of fiddling around with 50 knobs from amps and pedals.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:03 pm

Possible you have a ground loop with the pedals and the amp.

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Jondog wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:03 pm
Possible you have a ground loop with the pedals and the amp.
Disagree. it is CERTAIN you have a ground loop..... lol
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed May 01, 2019 3:56 am

NJD3VIL77 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:44 am
I'm thinking that the issue is ground related. I have a buzz through my guitars that goes away when I touch the strings. Both amps exhibited this buzz. Oddly my outlet tester shows grounding is ok.

Honestly though I think I'm going to roll with the "no pedals" thing and just enjoy the amp as is. I think the best thing overall for me is being able to focus on my playing instead of fiddling around with 50 knobs from amps and pedals.
In my book fewer things in the signal path equals better tone... And that includes effect loop, and switches for this or that, one of the best things about orange amps you can just set everything to 12 o'clock , no fiddling about or wondering how something works..... and you get great tone.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:36 pm

As said before - ground loop or other power supply issues. I have Rockerverb MK1 50w and it's dead silent with loop.

NJD3VIL77

Post by NJD3VIL77 » Wed May 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:56 am
NJD3VIL77 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:44 am

In my book fewer things in the signal path equals better tone... And that includes effect loop, and switches for this or that, one of the best things about orange amps you can just set everything to 12 o'clock , no fiddling about or wondering how something works..... and you get great tone.
This is spot on. It sounds so damn good by itself I'm really considering selling or mothballing my pedals. Seriously cannot be happier with Orange tone.

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Thu May 02, 2019 6:17 pm

OR15 user here. I have a small increase in noise if I use the effects loop. It's very slight and isn't a problem at more than home use volume. I found I preferred the sound of all pedals into the front of the amp. Clearly, i don't use a lot of delay with high gain :D
I think the issue it that the volume control come before the loop. Hence ANY noise from the loop is fully amplified by the power valves.

I will concede there is a different mind set to using delays before distortion. Think of the amp providing a warm fuzziness to everything. You just need to make that warm fuzziness YOUR sound!

Desmosedici

Post by Desmosedici » Fri May 03, 2019 3:06 pm

I totally agree.
It’s way betted to load it all in the front. I tired of the loop hum and inconvenience long ago.
It seems very flat without modulation though. Delay and/or Reverb at the very least.

secretsoundz

Post by secretsoundz » Fri May 03, 2019 7:10 pm

It's difficult to find amps with an effects loop that doesn't change or alter the tone a bit. This is pretty normal.
:mrgreen:

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Sun May 05, 2019 9:16 am

I have zero problems with the loop in my OR15. I don't use a ton of gain, though. It's dead quiet, and doesn't seem to be altering the tone in any way.

NJD3VIL77

Post by NJD3VIL77 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:21 pm

PBA wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:17 pm
OR15 user here. I have a small increase in noise if I use the effects loop. It's very slight and isn't a problem at more than home use volume. I found I preferred the sound of all pedals into the front of the amp. Clearly, i don't use a lot of delay with high gain :D
I think the issue it that the volume control come before the loop. Hence ANY noise from the loop is fully amplified by the power valves.

I will concede there is a different mind set to using delays before distortion. Think of the amp providing a warm fuzziness to everything. You just need to make that warm fuzziness YOUR sound!
I never had much luck finding a tone I like with delays before overdrives. I feel like they get out of control too easily. Really the only place I miss my delay is on lead lines when I'd like that extra dimension to the sound.

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sun May 05, 2019 5:02 pm

I use my Dark Terror with a lone TC Hall Of Fame reverb pedal in the tube-driven loop without any hum of any sort. I prefer, as some folks do, not to clutter the amp tone up with devices that can cover up that tone I worked for to get to my liking. The reverb is at low enough level just to add a bit of depth. I managed to find a custom reverb “tone print” on the TC website and downloaded it to my pedal. The “print” is designed to reduce the reverb effect when I turn my guitar up for more gain, but I haven't determined if it works as designed or not. Since my reverb is kept low anyway, it is not of much concern to me.

adkguy07