Question concerning my Marshall DSL100H + Cab, and Orange CR120H

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Vrin

Question concerning my Marshall DSL100H + Cab, and Orange CR120H

Post by Vrin » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:06 pm

Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me out. So currently I own a Marshall DSL100H (100 watt) head (tube amp) along with a Marshall MX412A 4x12" cab (16 Ohms). Ive had this set up for almost a year now and it has given me a pretty great tone. But I've already had to replace a few of the default tubes. And this has made me decide that I would like to go back to using solid state amplifiers. Don't get me wrong, I love the tone that I can achieve out of my DSL100H , but I just don't think it's worth the maintenance that tube amps require. I've done some research to find the best possible solid state head I could find and I found this.
Orange CR120H 120W Head
(2x16 Ohms) https ://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Amplifiers/ ... mp-Head.gc

After watching a few videos and reading the reviews this head seems to be perfect for me. So this brings me to my actual question. If I were to purchase this orange head, would I be able to connect it through my Marshall MX412A speaker cab? And even if I could, would it simply be a better choice just to get an orange speaker cab to go along with my orange head anyways?

I would like to know the best thing to do because I plan to sell my Marshall DSL100H head and I want to know if I should just try to sell the Marshall cab along with it as a bundle.

Also I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Ohms. And the orange head is 2x16 ohms which I believe this means it has two ports on the back for 16 Ohms. But why does it need two ports? When hooking this head up do you need to use both or just one?

I would really appreciate your feedback!
Thanks

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Question concerning my Marshall DSL100H + Cab, and Orange CR120H

Post by bclaire » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:37 pm

First of all, the cab should work and sound fine with the Orange. I don't think that having them together is a benefit - typically, buyers want one or the other - doubtful that the head and cab would be of interest to someone.

The Orange has the two outputs for either one 16 ohm cab or two 16 ohm cabs.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:15 pm

If you bought your Marshall DSL100 2nd hand, it's very possible its previous owner sold it as the valves start3d to degrade. He most likely got lots of years of good use from it before to selling it on.

In practice, valves dont fail very often, and most of the time, you will not even notice the slow gradual degradation of tone until you think you don't like the amp as much as you used to. Then, change the power valves, and bam, your amp is back. (Around 500h of use for EL84, much longer (2 to 4 times more) for other power valves)

Some people just think they don't like the amp as much and sell it on.

Preamp valves usually last 3 or 4 times as long as power valves, sometimes even longer.

So whilst valve amps do require occasional maintenance, with respects to valves, it isn't as much or as regular as one might think.

Some capacitors want to be changed every 20 years or so. That's about it.

Now.....

The CR120 is very impressive and a great choice. I reckon I might prefer it to a DSL even. The DSL is a good amp, great tight biting rock tones. Pretty classic Marshall sound.

I prefer the Orange tone, which is looser, warmer, and richer to me.
I own a RV50, on which the CR120 is based, and they sound very similar. Orange did extremely well with this amp.

Oh, and one 16ohms tap for one 16ohms cab.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

makjoh

Post by makjoh » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:12 pm

The CR 120 is a great amp. When you look at the back of it you will see two 1/4 inch jack sockets for speaker connections. The left socket is for use with either one 8 ohm cab or one 16 ohm cab. The right socket is for use with two 16 ohm cabinets. Now then..........this is the point that is confusing lots of people....do they daisy chain 2 cabs from this one socket or do they connect the two cabs to the 2 sockets? One of which has been designated as being 8 ohm or 16 ohm? You can understand this confusion, especially when somebody new to the art of impedance has read up on ohms law and is met with this dilemma. Conclusions could be drawn that if one of the inputs is ok for 8 ohms then it is ok for connecting two 8 ohm cabinets......easily assumed and easily done. The instruction should include a definitive NO to two 8 ohm cabinets which I assume would give a parallel load of 4 ohms? A Definite no no......In conclusion.....one 8 ohm cabinet OR one 16 ohm cabinet into the left socket...OR two 16 ohm cabinets, one in each socket.....DEFINITELY NOT two 8 ohm cabinets. And definitely no daisy chaining two 16 ohm cabs into the right socket and thinking you have a spare socket on the left to run an 8 ohm cab to experiment with an assumed stereo sound. DON'T DO IT!!

blur31

Post by blur31 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:42 am

I used my CR120 with a 16ohm Marshall cab for years and I always thought it sounded fantastic. It's a good setup.