I need a fuzz..... (TV50/AD30) HELP!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

I need a fuzz..... (TV50/AD30) HELP!

Post by Dark Helmet » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:37 pm

I am WAY late to the party on pedals, and I honestly spent my first 5 years of playing with NO effects (or only just the Reverb on my TV50, which I never really used anyway), and the last couple of years I've only dabbled with a compressor and boost pedal.

So I haven't spent years honing my taste... and now I've done so much research that I can't make a decision... what have you guys had luck with, either good or bad?

As noted above, it'll mostly be going into an AD30 or TV50 Channel A with the gain between 10 and noon. I'm not averse to the Fur Coat, but that is a lot of real estate... although this may finally force me to split my board in 2 between signal path and the amp controls themselves.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: I need a fuzz..... (TV50/AD30) HELP!

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:04 pm

Fuzzes will play differently with various amps, depending on gain settings too.

The AD30 takes all sorts of fuzzes extremely well IMO, but set the gain on the low side. Big muff, fuzz factory, swollen pickle, red llama, fuzz face, woolly mammoth.... all very different, all great.

My RV50 is another story..... it only takes them well on the clean channel. On the dirty channel, with any light crunch, nothing works.

You need to knwo what you want. Classic old school fuzz.... or something a bit meaner.... or something crazy.....

Classic, try a fuzz face or red llama. I prefer the red llama.

Something more modern and perhaps meaner, try a big muff, swollen pickle of woolly mammoth.

Something insane..... swollen pickle, fuzz factory. The fuzz factory is crazy, the swollen pickle can do big muff, super heavy and splatty with crazy feedback.

The swollen pickle is a great pedal IMO. Covers a lot of ground
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:04 pm

The Swollen Pickle is incredible. It will make more rude sounds than your drunk uncle.

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:19 am

Classic fuzz.... all day every day...

If I was a better guitar player, I'd buy an insane vintage fuzz... but I'm not, so I won't.... but that's certainly the direction I'm inclined towards.

Has anyone tried the JHS mini foot fuzz? I really am running out of space on my board, and if I split it, that's just an even bigger load-in... (2 FS-1s, and a switch-doctor 3-button, and an ABCD switch will do that...)
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:48 pm

EarthquakerDevices "Hoof". Best fuzz I've ever heard. Check out the gearmandude demo.

33mellis33

Post by 33mellis33 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:06 pm

I have been around the block and back with fuzz pedals and as most here will attest, your rig will determine the outcome over anything else! A Big Muff style fuzz will sound great with some but have a volume drop and smothered feel on others , A tone bender clone has its same share of tonal variance. the list goes on and on unfortunately! I have settled on Two fuzz boxes with my TH30 and Vox Ac rigs. An Earthquaker Devices Hoof Reaper which gives me a muff style circuit and Tone Bender in one pedal and allows more tone control than traditionally available as well as allows for using both at the same time! The second pedal I love is the Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom! It is an awesome, articulate Harmonic fuzz! There is also a version with a blend knob that allows you to blend in your clean guitar with the Fuzz signal on the output so its almost like two parts being played. It can go from drive to melt your face off but the outstanding quality is that while it achieves the Fuzziness it doesn't mud up your chords or lead runs! Good luck in your tone quest!
Th30
Ad5
Micro Dark
Ppc212ob
Ppc112

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:07 pm

many thanks, guys...

I'm actually going to just give-in and start with the Fur Coat, as (according to Ade) it is designed to be run into an amp already into (modest) break-up... which is where I almost always live.

The Hoof Reaper will be the next try if this doesn't work out, though.
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

JJJ

Post by JJJ » Thu May 02, 2019 2:40 am

I had a lot of trouble getting a fuzz or heavy drive pedal to play nice with an AD30. The pre section on these is very compressed and it seems to clip very easily, even with the gain much lower than you intend to run it. It sounds excellent with a clean boost, but a drive with its own dirt seems to just fizz out

I had much better luck running a 12ay7 in V1 to lower the gain and calm it down a bit, now I can run some of the dirtiest pedals I have ever owned into the front and it works just fine.

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon May 13, 2019 6:57 pm

Scored a used Fur Coat locally for (substantial savings over Reverb $$$). The AD30 is in the shop, so dunno how that's going to work out yet, but it definitely gets along with AD50!

I'm learning it still, but I dig it so far.
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE