Overdrive/Distortion pedals that get close to a Rovkerverb

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

megatrav

Overdrive/Distortion pedals that get close to a Rovkerverb

Post by megatrav » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:21 pm

Hey all!

I was doing some amp shopping recently. I was tied between a Blackstar Artist 15 and an Orange Crush 60 combo.
I went with the Blackstar because the cleans on it sounded so great and it was quite versatile, considering it is lacking in high gain, unlike the Crush.

So, now I am looking at some pedal options to get some Orange tones, especially if I can get close to the Rockerverb/Crush tones (From what I understand, the Crush is the RV, but with Jfets instead of tubes).

The options I am looking at are:
Wampler Catapulp
Earthquaker Devices Monarch
One Control Florescent Orange
Orange Getaway Driver

I know the only one of these that claims to do the RV tone is the Catapulp. I haven't had the chance to play one in person, but most sound demos I have heard are okay.
The others are more aimed at the vintage Orange tones, but I'm wondering if I can get it close. They all sound great in the demos I have heard.

I wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on this. I know the only way to really get Orange tone is to buy an Orange. I want to one day, but for now, it would be nice to have something that gets close.
I am also open to other suggestions. Even if its not aimed at the Orange tone, if it gets a similar tone and response, I would be interested in testing it out.

Thanks!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Overdrive/Distortion pedals that get close to a Rovkerverb

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:14 pm

Orange do make a Rockerverb in a box - it's the bax bangeetar.

Genuinely modelled after the RV by Orange themselves.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

megatrav

Post by megatrav » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:14 pm
Orange do make a Rockerverb in a box - it's the bax bangeetar.

Genuinely modelled after the RV by Orange themselves.
Is that so?

I didn't know it was based on the Rockerverb.

I will have to look into that!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:40 pm

I’ve owned the Monarch and I’ve owned a Rockerverb. I would say the Monarch cannot replicate a Rockerverb.

megatrav

Post by megatrav » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Jondog wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:40 pm
I’ve owned the Monarch and I’ve owned a Rockerverb. I would say the Monarch cannot replicate a Rockerverb.
That is good to know. It seemed like it was more of a vintage Orange tone.

I'm looking at the Wampler Catapulp right now. If that doesn't work. I am going to see about having someone build me something custom.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Yeas, the Monarch would be more vintage Orange flavored. Brian Wamplers Catapulp was designed based on his very own Rockerverb, I think the MKl. Otherwise the Bangeetar as mentioned may be the best one.

megatrav

Post by megatrav » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:57 pm

Has anyone had the chance to try out the Orange Getaway Driver?
I know it is also suppose to be voice like a "70s Orange amp", but I am curious about how it is liked and how close that tone is to a RV.

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:16 pm

The answer to your question imo is the Bax Bangeetar.

The getaway driver is nice and would look to add major flexibility to any rig, but it does not sound anything like an RV..

From the videos I have seen, the Catapult isnt anything i like to listen to at all, and i find it barely recognizable as even close to Orange tone.

Getting something custom simply isnt going to work either.. unless Ade Elmsley designs it...lol, but, luckily he did, and its called the Bax Bangeetar

The crush has an Orange voicing but i do not think it sounds like an RV.. For that, other than the Bax, the only other thought would be the Jim Root Terror head, which has the RV preamp in it..perhaps you can get a used one.

Part of any rock amp's tone is the power tube distortion so no matter what you get it won't sound or feel totally like an RV dimed... but in terms of closest it would be JR terror, Bax then Crush60.. all just imo

good luck
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

megatrav

Post by megatrav » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:20 am

Mystic38 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:16 pm
The answer to your question imo is the Bax Bangeetar.

The getaway driver is nice and would look to add major flexibility to any rig, but it does not sound anything like an RV..

From the videos I have seen, the Catapult isnt anything i like to listen to at all, and i find it barely recognizable as even close to Orange tone.

Getting something custom simply isnt going to work either.. unless Ade Elmsley designs it...lol, but, luckily he did, and its called the Bax Bangeetar

The crush has an Orange voicing but i do not think it sounds like an RV.. For that, other than the Bax, the only other thought would be the Jim Root Terror head, which has the RV preamp in it..perhaps you can get a used one.

Part of any rock amp's tone is the power tube distortion so no matter what you get it won't sound or feel totally like an RV dimed... but in terms of closest it would be JR terror, Bax then Crush60.. all just imo

good luck
Thanks for the reply!
I agree with you about he clips of the Catapulp. It sounds like it has an Orange flavor, but doesn’t remind me of the Crush Pro amps I have played or the OR15 I use to have. (OR15 is suppose to also be a RV preamp, despite the name)

The Bax does seem like a good way to go, but it’s just too expensive for a pedal, IMO.

As for custom designs- the Orange Rockerverb schematic is readily available with a simple google search. Anyone could use the preamp of the dirty channel and make it into a pedal running on Jfets like the Crush amps or 12ax7s like the RV.
This would be the route I would take as it would surely be more accurate.
As for the power amp section- it is true that the 6l6’s are not found in Orange amps, but I’m not trying to fool myself or anyone.

The getaway driver seems nice because even though it’s not a RV, it is made by Orange and designed to give off the signature Orange amp tone. The clips also sound good and show that the pedal has a wide range of tones and gain.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:59 pm

Don’t often comment here now, but... :wink:

Big fan of the BBG. Did a fairly extensive review of it here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54057&hilit=Bangeetar

It is SORT OF based on the RV, can get even higher gain levels. But I’d say it is by far the most versatile (and great sounding) Orange flavoured box out there.

Expensive? Yes, perhaps. But it is def. the real deal, as close to ‘whole amp in a box’ as you’ll find anywhere, just Orange flavoured. But not just the RV, I’d say. It does a (very!) good take on both my old ‘78 OR120M and my Rocker 30 too. Both pretty different amps from the RV!

With the clean through very high gain, and the amazing sounding mix of an (OR120 like) 2 band Baxandall EQ, plus fully parametric mids, you can get a truly fantastic variety of real Orange sounds.

Love the Custom Shop build, and the stepped pots (like current RV amps) allow for easy recall of favourite sounds. It feels like a tank. Only thing I’d say is it really pays to use a decent 12V supply with it, then you are really cooking.

Best cheaper option ime would be to find the Orange based Tech21 ‘Character Series’ Oxford model. Anlogue design and good sounding. Also out of production I think, but worth finding s/h. Big fan of their VT Bass (Ampeg) and Leeds (Hiwatt) models too.

But the BBG is a different animal, different class. I think it is worth the money, no messing...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:18 pm

Funnily enough I just came across a Tech 21 ‘Oxford’ new + boxed in a local (Amsterdam) shop for Eur 180. Was almost tempted, but why? I already have a BBg! LOL

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:41 am

a.hun wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:18 pm
Funnily enough I just came across a Tech 21 ‘Oxford’ new + boxed in a local (Amsterdam) shop for Eur 180. Was almost tempted, but why? I already have a BBg! LOL

Andy.

I've bid on the BBG, but didn't manage to get one yet.
May be some day.....

I've had one Orange pedal, the Kongpressor, and was thoroughly impressed with it.
A shame a compressor is useless to me, because it made everything sound sweeter.... but totally ruined the going from clean to dirty from the way you pick....
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:16 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:41 am
a.hun wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:18 pm

Andy.

May be some day.....

I've had one Orange pedal, the Kongpressor, and was thoroughly impressed with it.
A shame a compressor is useless to me, because it made everything sound sweeter.... but totally ruined the going from clean to dirty from the way you pick....
lol.. having images of you banging like fk on the strings going "dammit!!"
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

megatrav

Post by megatrav » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:55 pm

I appreciate the responses.

I actually found someone on Reverb who took the Rockerverb schematic and is going to make a standalone preamp pedal that uses 2 12ax7s running at about 300 volts that runs on a 12 volt DC @ 500mah that is based on just the RV dirty channel.

Since I'll be running the pedal into an amp that uses 6l6's, it will probably be a little different. I am excited to try it out.

He is building an selling it to me for about the price of the Getaway Driver new.

If I can figure out how, I will post some pics and hopefully some sound demos at some point!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:41 am

Mystic38 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:16 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:41 am

May be some day.....

lol.. having images of you banging like fk on the strings going "dammit!!"

Not that far off.... that kongpressor makes your sound just sweeter. If I 2as a clean player, that would have stayed as an always on pedal.

Unfortunately, I rely very much on picking dynamics to get cleans/dirty cleans and full on crunch with both my AD15 and Black Pearl 30. That Kongpressor didn't work so well for that, since its very existence is to even out dynamics.....
Ant