Orange 35RT

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

MikeSwift01

Orange 35RT

Post by MikeSwift01 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:01 am

I am very new to guitars and amplifiers. I recently purchased an Orange 20RT for my son and an Orange 35RT for myself. Both purchases in the last 6 weeks. When I turn on the amp it is silent. Sometimes when I plug in my guitar there is a series of loud sounds coming from the amp. Sometimes a bunch of loud static, sometimes a sound like you banged on the guitar strings. The 20RT never does this. If I unplug the cord, the amp is silent. Once I plugged the guitar in and the amp was silent except for (except for playing the guitar) and after a short time the static is back. I have tried 2 different cords so far. Today I plugged everything for a guitar lesson and except for the normal guitar playing sounds, the amp was quiet. 15 minutes later with the guitar in the stand (taking a break) the static and crashing sound came back. Any idea what this might be? Thanks!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Orange 35RT

Post by bclaire » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:46 pm

First thing, rule out cords and guitars. Try both guitars and known good cords.

Then, if that doesn't work, I would bring the amp back to where you bought it under warranty and have them sort it out.

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Intermittent faults are the worst kind!

Static is frequently caused by poor grounding in the guitar or cable.
You say you have tried different chords. Well done. Please take a look at the cable to make sure there are no extreme bends or twists. Please also make sure that the jack plugs are properly into the sockets.
If your guitar is also a recent purchase, it must also be suspect.

Next time it misbehaves, try shaking the chord and especially the jacks. Unplug and plug in again several times.
If there's no change, gently thump the guitar with the fleshy part of your hand - wherever seems appropriate! If that makes it stop or changes the sound, it's likely the guitar's earth wiring which needs looking at.

If nothing changes then as Billy says, take it back and have the store fix it for you under warranty.

Personally, I thinks it's bad Karma 'cos you bought your son a smaller amp :lol:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:29 pm

Also, something as stupid as the sleeve screwed on tight on the cable has caused me problems before...