Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

NB__England

Re: I tried to like Orange

Post by NB__England » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:06 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 pm
Very funny.

Just sell your gear and move on to another forum.
Not sure what to make of that comment Ronnie, you currently own three Oranges but have sold seven in the past. Is it a requirement that in order to find a decent Orange you need to go through several first? Or in your case seven.
Orange TH30 Head
Orange Rocker 15
2 - 2x12ppc Open back

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:14 pm

Arthon wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:00 pm
NB__England wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:45 pm
Who, in mainstream western music since 1968 has become synonymous with Orange amps? It appears that there is absolutely nobody. If anyone can correct me I will humbly apologise for my ignorance.
Well, there is Fleetwood Mac. In the 90's, Oasis used them. Jimmy Page now use AD30 amp. John 5 use them.
https://orangeamps.com/artists/

Your point is what made me love even more Orange. They are not normally the amps used by Indie Rock guitarist; so I dont sound like the guitarist from the other band (who probably use a Fender, a Vox or a obscure 60's vintage amp).
Stevie Wonder, Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins, Mars Volta, Jimmy Eat World

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:40 pm

NB__England wrote:
Jondog, my question was not intended as arrogant but simply an honest question. How you choose to interpret my question is your responsibility.

Back to my point, the honeymoon period was soon over for me, I am not remotely bitter about this, instead, I have learnt something, which is always useful. And now I have an opinion based on my experiences.
I am now curious about a couple of things regarding Orange.

Who, in mainstream western music since 1968 has become synonymous with Orange amps? It appears that there is absolutely nobody. If anyone can correct me I will humbly apologise for my ignorance.
When I go to a dedicated music venue to watch touring pro and semi pro musicians why do I virtually never see a backline containing Orange.
The same question is asked in relation to pub bands ( I am somebody who plays in a pub band ), it is such a rarity to see anything sporting the Orange badge, WHY?
So perhaps I can ask my opening question slightly differently, if you guys are to be believed and Orange is so wonderful why are they not more prevalent?
After my experience I believe I may have the answer!!
Man, I can't believe there are people who like to waste their energy on writing such nonsense. You don't like the Orange Amps, fine, but please move on, let us be here in peace, be a grown man.

As for
The same question is asked in relation to pub bands ( I am somebody who plays in a pub band ), it is such a rarity to see anything sporting the Orange badge, WHY?
You must be living in a really weird place, because I see Orange amps as often as any other brand.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:08 pm

NB__England wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:06 pm
Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 pm
Very funny.

Just sell your gear and move on to another forum.
Not sure what to make of that comment Ronnie, you currently own three Oranges but have sold seven in the past. Is it a requirement that in order to find a decent Orange you need to go through several first? Or in your case seven.

Nice try, but youve now shown your true colours !
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:17 pm

NB__England wrote:
Jondog, my question was not intended as arrogant but simply an honest question. How you choose to interpret my question is your responsibility.

Back to my point, the honeymoon period was soon over for me, I am not remotely bitter about this, instead, I have learnt something, which is always useful. And now I have an opinion based on my experiences.
I am now curious about a couple of things regarding Orange.

When I go to a dedicated music venue to watch touring pro and semi pro musicians why do I virtually never see a backline containing Orange.
So perhaps I can ask my opening question slightly differently, if you guys are to be believed and Orange is so wonderful why are they not more prevalent?
After my experience I believe I may have the answer!!
:lol:

Has anybody got troll food? Somebody's really hungry here.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:43 pm

Oh boy.

BEER!

:mrgreen:

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:04 pm

bclaire wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:43 pm
Oh boy.

BEER!

Don’t you start Billy. We don’t need anymore feature youtube films from you!

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:21 pm

I would just like to say that you didn't actually say what it was about Orange amps that you did not like..

But hey, I suppose 70% of the members of the Marshall forum could post exactly the same .. after all, it is very much more common than not for folk to have an "always on" OD pedal in front of a Marshall (or any amp)..leading to the obvious conclusion that they do not like the sound of their Marshall amp!...but they don't post that.. they adjust the tone with a pedal and get on with playing.

in your case, you have a Rocker 15.. did you ..turn the bass to 1, mids to 6 and treble to 10? then stick an OD in front of that?.. if you did it would start to sound "Marshall-esque".
If you stack two OD's then you are in Marshall lead territory.. but if you want some thump that Marshall cannot offer?.. just stick a plain clean boost in front of the R15 dirty channel.

I have Fender, Marshall and Orange amps... I use clean boosts, EQ and OD wherever and whenever to get the tone I am looking for at the time..

If i have trouble chasing a tone, i ask for help, but what i don't do is simply come to say "i don't get it"

NB__England wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:29 am
I could not get Orange to work for me and my experience has left me scratching my head wondering what the big deal is and am I missing a point here, is it the fact that I have relatively cheap orange gear and can't really expect it too sound that good no matter what I do with it?
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:57 pm

I'd like to chime in here.

You mention that you put your Orange back in the cupboard when you had decided it wasn't for you. Perhaps it wasn't for you because you have an amp that can fit in a cupboard. A Micro Crush or similar?

In addition, Orange amps won't hide your sound, so if you suck as a guitarist, you're sure to hear it. That could also be bothering you.

You also did mention that you don't often see Orange amps in your circle of pub bands. That might also be because the people you associate with can't afford a proper Orange amp like a Rockerverb or Dual Dark, OR, AD line etc... Maybe don't quit your day job and one day you too will be able to sit at the "grown-up" table with the rest of us.

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:43 am

Wendigo wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:57 pm

You mention that you put your Orange back in the cupboard when you had decided it wasn't for you. Perhaps it wasn't for you because you have an amp that can fit in a cupboard. A Micro Crush or similar?

In addition, Orange amps won't hide your sound, so if you suck as a guitarist, you're sure to hear it. That could also be bothering you.

You also did mention that you don't often see Orange amps in your circle of pub bands. That might also be because the people you associate with can't afford a proper Orange amp like a Rockerverb or Dual Dark, OR, AD line etc... Maybe don't quit your day job and one day you too will be able to sit at the "grown-up" table with the rest of us.
+1
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

SexingtonVonHercules

Post by SexingtonVonHercules » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:40 am

I once had a friend loan me his Mesa Lone Star head and cab for what turned out to be more than a year. It was a sexy looking amp and many people swear by it, but you know what? I couldn't for the life of me, bond with that amp. It was just the complete opposite of what I look for in an amp.
Upon returning it to him, I politely told him it was clearly a great amp with lots of features and top notch material/construction, just not my thing. I'm not a Mesa guy.

You know what I didn't do? Log into the official Mesa amp forum and throw out petty jabs about Mesa amps in a clear attempt to cause a stir amongst Mesa users.

"why would anyone ever own this amp. You can't be serious" or, "they must not be good amps because you can't provide me a list of 10 famous players who use them." and then sugar coat it at the end with a "lol, well, to each his own :mrgreen: ."

Obvious troll is obvious. :roll:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:50 am

The irony is, he claims to not like Orange but his signature says he doesn't have any gear other than Orange so I say...

... BEER!

We have Whale's Tail Pale Ale on tap in the rehearsal room now. Yum!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:07 am

Jondog wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:04 pm
bclaire wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:43 pm
Oh boy.

BEER!

Don’t you start Billy. We don’t need anymore feature youtube films from you!

:lol: :lol:
Wendigo wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:57 pm

:lol: :lol:
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:09 am

SexingtonVonHercules wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:40 am
I once had a friend loan me his Mesa Lone Star head and cab for what turned out to be more than a year. It was a sexy looking amp and many people swear by it, but you know what? I couldn't for the life of me, bond with that amp. It was just the complete opposite of what I look for in an amp.
Upon returning it to him, I politely told him it was clearly a great amp with lots of features and top notch material/construction, just not my thing. I'm not a Mesa guy.

You know what I didn't do? Log into the official Mesa amp forum and throw out petty jabs about Mesa amps in a clear attempt to cause a stir amongst Mesa users.

"why would anyone ever own this amp. You can't be serious" or, "they must not be good amps because you can't provide me a list of 10 famous players who use them." and then sugar coat it at the end with a "lol, well, to each his own :mrgreen: ."

Obvious troll is obvious. :roll:

Be careful what you say. You mean you behaved in a mature and reasonnable way? That's crazy talks.
Ant

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:45 am

To answer the original post, Yes I seriously like my Orange amp (I'm not that stupid spending 4 digit number money for something I wouldn't really like), my band mates like my Orange, and I have absolutly no issue with people not liking Orange amps. There is plenty of choice in other brands.