OT: Ideas For Compact Guitar Display?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: OT: Ideas For Compact Guitar Display?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:36 pm

Is it this one??

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/guitar-stand ... tEEALw_wcB

If so, it looks pretty neat. You could always go for a mixture of those and some wall hangers?

I love the Hercules wall hangers with the wood base. They're very good, look good..... and your guitar is displayed as an inviting work of art. :wink:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:44 pm

Close, that's the model just for electrics. I was looking at the wider spaced one that can also fit acoustics.

Been doing a bunch of research on stands this morning and there are so many horror stories about finish getting rubbed off and marks being left by stands I'm reconsidering my wall mounting strategy :) I've had some guitars hanging for 5 years and haven't seen any damage. Plus even if there is slight damage from the wall hanger at least it won't be as noticeable as damage to the neck.

Technically even after buying another 8 hangers, and a proper stud finder, I will be a heck of a lot cheaper, but the floor stands would be more convenient. Hmm, first world problems again...

What you guys think? I've got two nitro guitars, I believe anyway. 2006 LPJ, and a early 2000's Les Paul Studio. Everything else should be poly.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:19 am

Personally, I love wall hangers.

Guitars are pretty, and having them on permanent display, not only is easy on the eye, but invites you to pick them up and play them.

Wall hangers!!!!!!
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:24 am

I love those:

Ant

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:27 am

Roger that just picked up another 6 of those things and a proper stud finder. I'll post pics tomorrow after I'm done.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:57 pm

Well...

I just mapped out the wall and I'm not sure it's goona work how I had planned. We have heat vents near the floor meaning the stud spacing is pretty whacked out.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eGKLfiBQE8BzLMRg9

So my plan was to take over the entire east side of the room. Wife thinks having guitars on the wall right when you come down the stairs is a dumb idea so... I guess my the best option is to cover the east wall in hangers, then the two on the far right and three in the center of the south wall.

My main issue is the 6' 5" gap on that east wall. I can fit a 7th hanger right in the middle of it, as there is a stud 38" off each of the evenly spaced studs. Perhaps I could save that spot for my #1 :)

Another option would be to move the desk over to the 6'5" gap, and the drums over to where the table is. Could have a bit of a seating area in the awkward space between guitars. Might be cool.

What you guys think? I'm open to suggestions. The only thing I don't want to move is the computer desk.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:42 pm

Alright! I have decided I'm going to install two 10 foot wood beams across that wall (upper and lower). I'll then be ordering a pile of the Hercules angled hangers. I've got 6 studs to bolt the hangers into which should be more than enough.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:18 pm

Hey Folks,

Been a while but it's finally done.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9LFCyeqQd6dbsog68

I used a single piece of 4x4 ply cut into 6 inch strips. I then overlapped and glued them together. Cut to length and finished. It's just two coats of Ebony stain with no finish. Didn't think I would need the extra protection since it won't be touched. I originally bought 12 hangers but upon mounting it on the wall realised I had pre-drillled for 13 hangers. Not understanding how this happened, my display artist wife kindly informed me that my calculation was flawed as I was calculating for the spaces between the hangers, as opposed to the hangers them selves. So yes, there are 12 perfectly spaced pre-drilled mounting points which = 13 hangers. This made the spacing slightly closer together but thankfully there is still plenty of space once they are all angled.

The 13th hanger is on order...

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:27 am

that looks good. looks like you can definitely get more guitars in a space with them being slanted like that. i've been thinking about something like but using some reclaimed wood of some kind. right now i have got 8 guitars on the wall. 5 on one section 2 on another and then 1 on another. and i still have 4 in the closet. and i have a mikro bass on the way.

regardless good job and thanks for sharing. it's some good inspiration!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:58 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:18 pm
Hey Folks,

Been a while but it's finally done.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9LFCyeqQd6dbsog68

I used a single piece of 4x4 ply cut into 6 inch strips. I then overlapped and glued them together. Cut to length and finished. It's just two coats of Ebony stain with no finish. Didn't think I would need the extra protection since it won't be touched. I originally bought 12 hangers but upon mounting it on the wall realised I had pre-drillled for 13 hangers. Not understanding how this happened, my display artist wife kindly informed me that my calculation was flawed as I was calculating for the spaces between the hangers, as opposed to the hangers them selves. So yes, there are 12 perfectly spaced pre-drilled mounting points which = 13 hangers. This made the spacing slightly closer together but thankfully there is still plenty of space once they are all angled.

The 13th hanger is on order...
Looks very nice!!!!

And on the plus side..... looks like you need a new guitar/ bass for that last hanger...... :wink: :mrgreen:

Oh..... and nice to see you back here. :D
Ant

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:11 am

You read my mind :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3z1RDPM3p6REXcrE8

Now includes new and improved litter box!

This actually leaves me space for the fretless jazz I'm planning to get this year, as well as the dream Esquire which will one day be mine. Cool thing is all these guitars have Schaller strap locks, so I can swap out quick. I played them all back to back and turns out one does not spark joy (7 string ibanez, who woulda thought?). Already up for sale :)

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:06 am

Boy_Narf wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:11 am
You read my mind :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3z1RDPM3p6REXcrE8

Now includes new and improved litter box!

This actually leaves me space for the fretless jazz I'm planning to get this year, as well as the dream Esquire which will one day be mine. Cool thing is all these guitars have Schaller strap locks, so I can swap out quick. I played them all back to back and turns out one does not spark joy (7 string ibanez, who woulda thought?). Already up for sale :)
I'm with re: joy it brings.

I've got 5 electrics now, and and they all suit me perfectly for what I play, all great, all different. However.... it has ruined GAS for other axes.....

I'd didn't really play my acoustic at all and sold it.

How do you like your Washburn idol?
I had the gold top noiseless P90 for a short while, it was a really good guitar. The noiseless P90 were great too, and had a coil tap to get true single coils tones too. Pretty tele like then.

Makes me almost regret i sold it!!!!
Ant

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:55 am

Looks good! How is the heat in there? Do you have a humidifier to keep levels in check when it's heat season?

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:15 pm

The Idol is great. Aside from some curious oxidation on all the hardware. I think it has the best sounding pickups of the bunch, for dirt tones anyway.

It's setup in the basement so yes there is heat. I do not have a stand alone humidifier, but there is a full house unit that just so happend to spring a leak on Saturday. That will be the next project.