2 guitar band with the same amps?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

afjungemann
Rocker

2 guitar band with the same amps?

Post by afjungemann » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 am

I am in a metal band that has 2 guitars. I use a Rockerverb mkiii and typically a les paul. The other guitarist is considering an orange and since the dual dark is discontinued and seemingly hard to find used for a decent price, he is considering a Rockerverb as well. I am curious if we will be able to get enough separation in our tones or if it will end up being a big mushy mess with using the same amps. He also uses a les paul. There would be plenty of times where I am doing leads over his rhythms but there are also quite a few harmonized leads and rhythms we will be together on.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: 2 guitar band with the same amps?

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:06 am

I'd bet you'll be fine. Although it would be probably better if one of you played a different guitar, it's really up to each of your personal techniques.

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:54 am

afjungemann wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 am
I am in a metal band that has 2 guitars. I use a Rockerverb mkiii and typically a les paul. The other guitarist is considering an orange and since the dual dark is discontinued and seemingly hard to find used for a decent price, he is considering a Rockerverb as well. I am curious if we will be able to get enough separation in our tones or if it will end up being a big mushy mess with using the same amps. He also uses a les paul. There would be plenty of times where I am doing leads over his rhythms but there are also quite a few harmonized leads and rhythms we will be together on.
Two years ago I was in an old-school metal band. I was using TH30 stacked with PPC212 v30 and Jackson RR3 with SH-13 in the brigde. Second guitarist was using TH30 too, but with 2x12 Peavey Cabinet (Jensen speakers, but I'm not 100% sure) and his guitar was 2016 Gibson Les Paul. We were both boosting our TH30 - I had Maxon OD-9, he had Boss SD-1. Amps settings quite similar - 15w mode, volume around 11:00, shape 11:00, gain 2:00. Result were pretty mindblowing. My tone was kind of huge, spacious, low to low-mid growl, he was rather sitting in strong mids and high-mids. Add the bass player with quite aggressive tone and the general mix was full and complementary.

You'll be fine, there are plenty of ways to tweak your eq here and there.

SIXTENCONNECTOR

Post by SIXTENCONNECTOR » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:05 pm

EQ in the loop should fix any overlaps you may have. Ive jammed with people running JCM800's along with my Rockerverb and they compliment each other fantastically. Mid-low (Rverb) with Mid-high (JCM). I wouldn't wanna be the JCM guy though cuz.....Orange :-)
https://soundcloud.com/sixtenconnector/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nnector-ep