Recording an Orange Amp

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

11tonylevin

Recording an Orange Amp

Post by 11tonylevin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:55 pm

Hello
can anyone suggest a way to record an orange amp (RV50) without having to use a mic? I would like to record in a live setting and looking for way to go straight into the board via an electronic means vs a mic which will have other stuff captured. Anyone have any suggestions, especially if you have recorded this way. I would like to know what gear you have used as the interface and how did you hook it up to the amp
thanks
tony

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Recording an Orange Amp

Post by bclaire » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:09 am

I have used the Marshall SE-100 speaker emulator for recording a lot. They're hard to find, but it would give you exactly what you're looking for.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:53 am

I've heard good things about the Hughes and Kettner Red Box

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -simulator
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:19 pm

Many options, depending on what quality of direct sound you’re looking for ie: Excellent quality cab impulse response simulation or basic analog circuitry to mimic the tonality if a cab or just straight sound from the amp, no cab simulation.
Also how much you’re willing to spend.

11tonylevin

Post by 11tonylevin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:02 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:53 am

thanks. so if i understand correctly, this unit basically is simply tapping into the signal the amp head is sending to the cab? I guess it's 10k impedance doesn't disturb the signal into the cab....Have you ever used one of these...? anyone on this board who has?
thanks

fstrat76

Post by fstrat76 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:56 pm

I use a Universal Audio OX. Top notch cab, mic, room, effects options. Doubles as an attenuator. SPDIF and analog outs.

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:23 pm

I have a Mesa Cab Clone that I never really got along with until I saw a video on how to use EQ to get it to more closely match a Mic'd amp. Adding EQ is a big improvement and using the cab clone is great for recording ideas late at night when the family is sleeping but I still use a mic when I'm ready for serious recording. The Videos I've seen on the UAD Audio OX and One note torpedo sound fantastic but those units are a lot more expensive. I think whatever option you use you will have to use some EQ to get it to match a mic.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:23 am

11tonylevin wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:02 pm
Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:53 am

thanks. so if i understand correctly, this unit basically is simply tapping into the signal the amp head is sending to the cab? I guess it's 10k impedance doesn't disturb the signal into the cab....Have you ever used one of these...? anyone on this board who has?
thanks
We tried one and I wasn't a fan of the results.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:02 am

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:29 pm

Hardware options with analog cab sim are the cheapest, but the least convincing. HK Redbox, Mesa Cab Clone, etc.

A reactive load + digital cab IR will sound much much better. Choose your preferred reactive load, and you can get the IR from a plug in within your recording software, or a hardware unit that loads digital IRs.

Good reactive loads (provide a load for your amp and provide a line level signal which can be sent to a cab sim): Suhr Reactive load, Fryette Power Load, Two Notes Captor.

Good hardware cab sims that load digital IRs (you feed the reactive load’s line level signal into these): Mooer Radar, Two Notes Torpedo CAB.

Good digital recording IR plugin: Two Notes Wall of Sound.

The UA Ox provides a reactive load and cab sim in one box. It’s nice, but expensive.

If you only want to record and don’t need the digital signal for performance, I would use a reactive load and cab IR plugin on the computer. You COULD use a hardware IR loader, but it’s most expensive and you loose the ability to tweak the sound after it’s recorded.

If you want to use the digital signal for FOH, I would run something like the Suhr reactive load or Fryette Power load into a Mooer Radar or Torpedo CAB.

I’d stay away from analog hardware units like the Redbox, cab clone, etc. Unless you’re looking for the cheapest way to get a simulated speaker cab sound to FOH and not concerned with sound quality. If you’re going to a computer, digital IRs sound much much better than any analog unit.

This is assuming you don’t need attenuation, which opens up another set of things to think about.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:32 pm

I’ve mentioned it in other topics, but the expected Boss Tube Expander looks good. No price yet though.

11tonylevin

Post by 11tonylevin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:32 pm

Thanks to all of you for your inputs....Like everything else in this business, there are always many answers LOL
I did pick up a used Redbox 5.....it does the job for what I need. I am looking for something to capture the guitar amp during band practices so that we can listen back to the recordings and see where to make changes/adjustments. I was not planning on using it for recording or anything of high quality. Used to use a mic but we always had bleeding from vocals and drums...
BUT......I feel a bit uneasy about putting a $100 box between a $2000 head (RV50)and a $1000 cab (PPC212)! I kind of get that there is a "THRU" connection but something has to be tapping into the head's output signal to process it. So I wonder if this alters in any way the actual signal the cab sees. I have to assume that it's safe given that it is so popular, but maybe I'm just naive.