Reverb Tubes? Bypass?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Meowatthesun

Reverb Tubes? Bypass?

Post by Meowatthesun » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:03 pm

Hey guys, brand new member here and to be honest not sure why I haven’t joined before now. Been over at thegearpage for ages under firstlightxo if anyone hangs out there. Anyway, I had a question involving reverb tubes. When I bought my rockerverb 50 the guy said yeah the reverb doesn’t work, I’ve changed the tubes for it and nothing. I said no worries I have a reverb pedal so I probably won’t use it. I’ve never worried about it and don’t plan on it. So my question is... if the reverb doesn’t work and I don’t use it, can I take the tubes out of the reverb section and leave them out?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Reverb Tubes? Bypass?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:16 pm

I have no idea..... but gosh, that cat is well fed!!!!

Lovely ginger kitty for sure. My cats never get close to my amplifiers. Just the sight of me picking up a guitar is enough to get them running away...... :lol:
I hope it's no reflection on my actual playing...... :|
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:26 am

Have you checked that the tank is plugged in.

Meowatthesun

Post by Meowatthesun » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:16 pm
I have no idea..... but gosh, that cat is well fed!!!!

Lovely ginger kitty for sure. My cats never get close to my amplifiers. Just the sight of me picking up a guitar is enough to get them running away...... :lol:
I hope it's no reflection on my actual playing...... :|
yeah, he’s pushing 17 pounds. He’s on a diet, though it doesn’t seem to help.

Meowatthesun

Post by Meowatthesun » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:39 pm

Jondog wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:26 am
The guy I bought it from thought the tank was probably bad. I don’t want to use it, I just want to know if running the amp without the reverb section tubes would work or if it would hurt the amp? If I pull the tubes I will def pull the tank and it would be of no use either.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:57 pm

Meowatthesun wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:39 pm
Jondog wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:26 am
The guy I bought it from thought the tank was probably bad. I don’t want to use it, I just want to know if running the amp without the reverb section tubes would work or if it would hurt the amp? If I pull the tubes I will def pull the tank and it would be of no use either.

If you use a reverb pedal instead.... I would really seriously investigate fixing the RV50 reverb. It's the best reverb I've heard as far as I'm concerned. It's pretty crazy in terms of intensity and how much of it there is when you max it out..... you'd be likely to only use it up to the 1st or 2nd notch most of the time. Beyond the 2nd notch it becomes like being inside a huge cathedral and becomes almost an echo. Beyond the 1/2 way mark it's an effect in itself.

It sure isn t a fender reverb, there's more of it, to insane levels if desired, and it's very deep. Love it.

I'm sorry, I don't know if the amp would work without its reverb valves.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:07 am

I want to say it will work, but I never tried it when I had a Rockerverb and I don’t have the schematic in front of me at the moment to see exactly where the circuit sits. I did unplug the reverb tank and it worked, but really changed the sound of the amp, in a way I liked, a bit noisier with extra gain though. May be some change in sound if the tube is pulled and it works because the transformer no longer has to operate that tube, but it would be minor maybe not even noticeable.
Edit: Just looked at the schematic for the MKl, and it should work without that tube. You can always try it. It won’t damage anything.