NAD OR50! Also potential extra amp noise question.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jax510
Rocker

NAD OR50! Also potential extra amp noise question.

Post by jax510 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:35 am

Finally got myself an OR50! Tis beautiful! Ive been earballing one for years but never had the funds. Haven't been able to play it too much but it's a lot of fun, definitely more umph than my AD30 for heavier rock stuff. (I also got myself another AD30 after having to sell my previous one a few years back. So a double new amp month or so! Great times!) I will have to keep testing them back and forth to get a better feel but they both sound fantastic.

I did notice though that when I flip the power switch off after flipping the standby switch the amp noise increases and then the amp turns off...is that normal? My AD30 just goes quiet when I flip standby off and then nothing when I turn it off so I'm curious if it's a potential issue or not.

mici88
Tiny Terror

Re: NAD OR50! Also potential extra amp noise question.

Post by mici88 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:22 am

jax510 wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:35 am
Finally got myself an OR50! Tis beautiful! Ive been earballing one for years but never had the funds. Haven't been able to play it too much but it's a lot of fun, definitely more umph than my AD30 for heavier rock stuff. (I also got myself another AD30 after having to sell my previous one a few years back. So a double new amp month or so! Great times!) I will have to keep testing them back and forth to get a better feel but they both sound fantastic.

I did notice though that when I flip the power switch off after flipping the standby switch the amp noise increases and then the amp turns off...is that normal? My AD30 just goes quiet when I flip standby off and then nothing when I turn it off so I'm curious if it's a potential issue or not.
I'm really happy for you, OR50 is a pure beast. I'm hoping to get one in the future too to play in stereo with my Rockerverb.

As for the noise, I think it's probably kind of power discharching. My old Marshall JCM900 2501 combo from 1991 does this to. Works normally, but if I switch it on standby after long playing and then turn the amp off there is a loud, farting and fading noise. I wanted to have it fixed, but ignored it eventually.