Rverb 50 vs Tverb 50 - I know, a perennial question

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

11tonylevin

Rverb 50 vs Tverb 50 - I know, a perennial question

Post by 11tonylevin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:31 pm

Hello
I know this is a recurring question, but I need to figure this out. I own a Thunderverb 50 head driving a PPC212 cab. I like it a lot. Having said that I have noticed that I sometimes get lost in the mix. Tried different settings on gain, tone etc.
I have been curious about the sound difference in the Rockerverb 50. I can't find a demo in stores where I live, so the only choice is buy it to compare. That's an expensive experiment. Done lots of reading on the differences. More importantly tried to find youtube clips to hear the differences. I am 58 yrs old and will admit I have some hearing loss, highs especially. Notwithstanding that from what I have observed in listening to comparisons is that the R50 has a more "airy" brighter crunch whereas the TV50 seems more low end and dare I use the term "muffled", generally a darker sound. From what I hear, it sounds as if an RV50 could cut better in a mix because it is crisper. I don't know how else to explain it. Is that what is modern compared to vintage compared to classic compared to whatever? So two things: a) does my description make sense to anyone reading this and does it reflect the general tonal differences and b) for anyone who is intimate with both models, any words you can use that helps separate the two? I am itching to buy the Rockerverb but just worried they are too close in sound to make it worth the large investment
Many thanks
tony

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Rverb 50 vs Tverb 50 - I know, a perennial question

Post by Jondog » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:17 pm

Your description makes sense. It’s designed to have more low end. I think its a great amp, but the Rockerverb is maybe more versatile.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:36 pm

The RV50 under heavy gain compresses quite lot on the dirty channel, which can make impact dynamics hit and miss.

The RV50 is more modern sounding, and still has a lot of low end. It's thick, warm and that's the main place it takes in band setting. If you're after a sizzling Marshall type cut, the RV50 probably isn t the amp for you.

You could try to source a now discontinued R30, which cuts effortlessly and is firmly vintage voiced, or the new R32, with its twin 10" speaker, should be great too.

It really depends on what you play and need your amp for
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:38 am

I owned an Rv50 mk II for 6 months one of my main criticisms was that it didn't cut through a band mix like the other Orange amps I had used, due to the very compressed nature of the dirty channel. It also hated overdrive pedals... Such as when used on the clean channel... The mkiii may be totally different!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:48 pm

I say that Thunderverb excells in every genre that has *metal* in its name. Lots of low growling low end, quite edgy distortion, maybe even fizz. Rockerverb is great for everything else - blues, soft-to-hard-rock and more hi-gainy stuff. It's also a bit modern voiced, but yet with kind of vintage twist. Sits nice in a band mix. YMMV.

Gorgar
Tiny Terror

Post by Gorgar » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:37 pm

I only played the RV once, and decided to get the TV instead without playing one. It's definitely a darker amp. Looser, from what I remember of the RV. I've had similar issues with it being muffled, as you put it, but I found a couple of things that help. A Distortion+ in front of it makes it meaner and a bit tighter. An EQ in the effects loop can work wonders too.

I do wish the TV series had a presence control.

11tonylevin

Post by 11tonylevin » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:42 pm

Thanks everyone for your insights. I appreciate it ! I think I will roll the dice and order the Rockerverb MKIII. That's what they are selling so its not like I can order a MKII. I kind of like that it has the 25w mode that might make it more friendly practising at home with the attenuator. I find that the attenuator on the TVerb is only really practical when playing at significant volume. Playing at really low volumes just squashes everything sound-wise, which I guess is to be expected with a tube amp.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:22 pm

Gorgar wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:37 pm
I only played the RV once, and decided to get the TV instead without playing one. It's definitely a darker amp. Looser, from what I remember of the RV. I've had similar issues with it being muffled, as you put it, but I found a couple of things that help. A Distortion+ in front of it makes it meaner and a bit tighter. An EQ in the effects loop can work wonders too.

I do wish the TV series had a presence control.
It's funny how tastes can differ.... I tried both the TV50 and RV50/100 side by side, the RV50 was the amp I bought without 2nd thought.

I find it amusing how different people can have similar experiences and come to very different conclusions.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter as long as we're all happy in the end. :)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

11tonylevin

Post by 11tonylevin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:18 am

I declare this thread officially closed LOL
I bought the RV50 and love it !! Definitely a different sound over the TV50 and I am glad I bought it. Thanks to all of you for your insights. This is a very amazing community !!
tony

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:52 am

Nice! Congrats. What did you end up getting? Mk I, II, or III?

Very very cool amp for sure!
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

11tonylevin

Post by 11tonylevin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:05 am

afjungemann wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:52 am

Got a brand spanking new MK III. Absolutely stunning clean channel and a very nice on board reverb. Not sure yet about the stepped controls but i am sure i will adapt to them.

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:11 pm

11tonylevin wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:05 am
afjungemann wrote:

Got a brand spanking new MK III. Absolutely stunning clean channel and a very nice on board reverb. Not sure yet about the stepped controls but i am sure i will adapt to them.
yeah, I am with you on that. Its a bit double edged because for repeatable settings, it is super super easy and nice but I have been "bit" by it a few times where 1 click up is too much but current setting isn't enough. That is where the guitar knobs come into play. If its the gain knob, I just roll off the volume on my guitar a pinch, same with tone, set it a pinch too bright and roll back the tone on the guitar.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:43 pm

11tonylevin wrote:
afjungemann wrote:

Throw a treble booster in front of your TV50 to cut through the mix, it may give your new MK III a run for its money.
Thunderverb 50

11tonylevin

Post by 11tonylevin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:43 pm

pedecamp wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:43 pm
11tonylevin wrote:
afjungemann wrote:

Throw a treble booster in front of your TV50 to cut through the mix, it may give your new MK III a run for its money.
I bet you have a good point. But, I sold the TV50 :)
I really like the RV50 clean and I think the reverb is much more useable than that on the TV. I kind of also like the 25 w power scaling. I did in fact throw an EQ in the chain and just a subtle treble boost really makes it cut through the mix.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:11 pm

11tonylevin wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:43 pm
pedecamp wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:43 pm
11tonylevin wrote:

I bet you have a good point. But, I sold the TV50 :)
I really like the RV50 clean and I think the reverb is much more useable than that on the TV. I kind of also like the 25 w power scaling. I did in fact throw an EQ in the chain and just a subtle treble boost really makes it cut through the mix.
Good deal, enjoy the RV50!
Thunderverb 50