RV50 Head - Channel switching

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

11tonylevin

RV50 Head - Channel switching

Post by 11tonylevin » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi,
Just bought a brand new RV50 head MKIII last night. Bought it for 2 reasons 1) I like the tone better the TV50 and 2) I was tired of always buying used gear that often comes with hidden problems. The second reason is the real reason....
Powered it up, sounds great. But my single button, Orange-manufactured foot switch does not switch channels. Both channels work from the front but only if I remove the foot switch from the loop by unplugging it either at the foot switch or amp. However, if i connect the foot switch for reverb control, it works fine. That same foot switch worked properly switching my TH50 head channels. So......am I having a "say it ain't so" moment of buying a new amp with a problem, or is there something I need to know about this particular issue such as tip-ring configuration on the switch? I would not be impressed if I have to bring the amp back for repair out of the box given its price, reputation and that its not made in Asia !!
thanks
tony

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: RV50 Head - Channel switching

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Im hoping it's as simple as that..... fingers crossed!

On my RV50, it will only switch with the footswitch when on the clean channel (or is it the dirty channel?), and it will not footswitch when set on the other.

Otherwise, buying it new, you have a warranty and will need to activate it.

The switching relays also need to see a certain voltage to work.... but if your TV50 works fine, I assume the voltage at your house is sufficient as they will use similar (if not the same model) relays.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Does that amp want to see a two button footswitch to 1. channel switch and 2. switch reverb in and out?

Single button footswitch shouldn't have TRS plugs I think....

Plus, you are using a guitar cable to connect?

11tonylevin

Post by 11tonylevin » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:55 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:59 pm

On my RV50, it will only switch with the footswitch when on the clean channel (or is it the dirty channel?), and it will not footswitch when set on the other.

The switching relays also need to see a certain voltage to work.... but if your TV50 works fine, I assume the voltage at your house is sufficient as they will use similar (if not the same model) relays.
You just saved me a ton of heartburn over this issue. You were absolutely correct. The amp has to have the front panel switch set to the dirty channel for the foot switch to work. I don't remember if that was the same functionality on the TV50. So all seems to work according this very interesting logic !
tony

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:02 am

11tonylevin wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:55 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:59 pm

You just saved me a ton of heartburn over this issue. You were absolutely correct. The amp has to have the front panel switch set to the dirty channel for the foot switch to work. I don't remember if that was the same functionality on the TV50. So all seems to work according this very interesting logic !
tony

Blimey!!! I'm SOOO GLAD it was that simple!!!!!!
Get rocking!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

AndyFrew

Post by AndyFrew » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:22 pm

Hello.. even though you can play metal with them, none of them are limited to that style - they're way too versatile. The clean and mid gain tones are incredible on all of these amps. They can ably handle JCM-800 style tones (and beyond) which is what the OP specified.

pcb assembly and manufacturing