Tube changing question...

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

beninma

Tube changing question...

Post by beninma » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:29 pm

Maybe someone can clear this up for me.

I have a Rocker 15.

If I wanted to/needed to change a tube, is this something that Orange USA is OK with the owner doing? It seems to be vague based on the documentation on their site. At least once place on the website they mention it's OK for owners to swap tubes on Orange Amps.

But they also mention "do not remove the chassis from the cabinet" and say that is something that only a tech should be doing.

On the Rocker combo amps it looks like you have to remove the Chassis from the cabinet but do not have to open the Chassis to access the tubes so you shouldn't be coming into contact with any Capacitors, etc.. On the "Rocker 15 Terror" models it looks like you'd have to open the chassis.

As long as it's safe to open the cab to access the tubes I'd be comfortable doing it. I'd have no desire to go into the chassis.

PBA
Rocker

Re: Tube changing question...

Post by PBA » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:11 pm

You can change the valves. The power valves need to be bought as a matched pair - ideally from a company you trust. Pre-amp valves can also be changed but don't need to be matched.

It's the other parts of the amplifier which are dangerous!

Obviously, if you perceive a problem and changing out valves doesn't fix it, go find an amp tech.

Also, take care not to damage the screws holding it together!

Wylde Horses

Post by Wylde Horses » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:29 pm

So rather than starting a new thread, I thought I might dog pile on this one...

I picked up a Rocker 15 combo last week and have been impressed so far. However, last night I noticed some valve rattle. I happen to know the dealer I purchased the amp from is pretty slammed for amp work right now, so if I take it in, it’s unlikely this will be fixed until well into January. So I’ve been thinking of doing a tap test and replacing the offending valve(s) myself.

However, this is the first Orange amp I’ve owned and I’m wondering about biasing the valves. It appears they are pretty easy to access, but wouldn’t you have to then open the amp up to adjust the bias for the new valve(s)?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:49 pm

Wylde Horses wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:29 pm

I picked up a Rocker 15 combo last week and have been impressed so far. However, last night I noticed some valve rattle. I happen to know the dealer I purchased the amp from is pretty slammed for amp work right now, so if I take it in, it’s unlikely this will be fixed until well into January. So I’ve been thinking of doing a tap test and replacing the offending valve(s) myself.

However, this is the first Orange amp I’ve owned and I’m wondering about biasing the valves. It appears they are pretty easy to access, but wouldn’t you have to then open the amp up to adjust the bias for the new valve(s)?
Nope. Just replace with the same type. The amp is cathode biased which is sort of self biasing.

Wylde Horses

Post by Wylde Horses » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:43 am

Jondog wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:49 pm
Wylde Horses wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:29 pm

Nope. Just replace with the same type. The amp is cathode biased which is sort of self biasing.
Ah, excellent, good to know!