Crush 35RT very low output unless I'm using the effects loop

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Tswag295

Crush 35RT very low output unless I'm using the effects loop

Post by Tswag295 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:48 pm

The other day my Orange Crush 35RT stopped working properly. It is putting out very little sound even with the volume cranked to the max. I read somewhere to try plugging a patch cable into the send and return of the effects loop. I did this and I get sound again. As soon as I unplug from the effects loop, no more sound. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be? My amp is 2 years old and no longer under warranty. Also, there are no repair shops within 2 hours of where I live so I'm really hoping it's a minor issue that has an easy fix.

pwrknwldg

Re: Crush 35RT very low output unless I'm using the effects loop

Post by pwrknwldg » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:44 pm

I have a CR 120H but the opposite problem: using the loop (even with a patch cable, and I've used several known good ones to test) introduces a "blanket over the amp" effect.

Does anyone have a schematic for the CP series that shows how the loop is configured, what if anything it "goes around," etc.? Might help with both of these issues. Thanks! (And OP: sorry I don't have any good ideas to help with your issue.)

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:56 am

Tswag295 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:48 pm
The other day my Orange Crush 35RT stopped working properly. It is putting out very little sound even with the volume cranked to the max. I read somewhere to try plugging a patch cable into the send and return of the effects loop. I did this and I get sound again. As soon as I unplug from the effects loop, no more sound. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be? My amp is 2 years old and no longer under warranty. Also, there are no repair shops within 2 hours of where I live so I'm really hoping it's a minor issue that has an easy fix.

It might be super easy to fix..... if you know how.

If patching the fx loop resolves the volume drop issue, the preamp is working correctly, and something failed at the fx loop level.

I dont know you amp, but i assume any components between (and including) the fx loop jacks will gave failed / became partly unsoldered. My bet would be on the send or return Jack connections (just a bet mind you!!!) As these parts gets the preamp signal.... but pdont pass it on unless something is connected. Since they also are parts that are physically interacted with, logic dictates they are more likely to fail.

Good luck.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Most likely just a dirty/corroded switching contact in the return jack.

Get a spray can of electronics contact cleaner, spray it into the return jack, insert & remove a plug quickly several times.
---------------------
That will probably fix it. But if not, there's a cheap easy work-around. Get a short patch cable with right-angle plugs and leave it plugged into the loop all the time.