Rocker 30 Valves

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

PaulEngland85

Rocker 30 Valves

Post by PaulEngland85 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi Guys and gals

I had an issue with my Rocker 30 head last week. When I started trying to play through it, the dirty channel dropped out. Initially i turned it off, tried to problem solve and each time I turned it on, the second I played anything it would just drop out. Then, I started getting something through it, but it was super quiet. The clean channel was totally unaffected. So at this point I turned it off, let it cool then swapped the pre-amp valves around, turned it back on and I had a dirty channel again. The clean channel was working, but it seemed a bit quieter than usual, leading me to believe that one of the pre-amp valves has gone? Can anyone clarify this?

Also, if this is the case, this leads me onto another question- What should I get to replace my current valves? I believe Im currently using JJ ecc83's and JJ EL84s, generally, I really like the tone, especially the dirty channel, I usually use a high amount of gain and like the low end drive they give, but I would just like the cleans to be a little bit more cutting, and jangly. Any feedback on valve type and brands for both pre and power would be awesome

One last thing, I've seen the valve positioning for this head in another post, can someone just clarify which valves do what i.e. V1,V2,V3?

Thanks

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Rocker 30 Valves

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:23 pm

The clean channel has 1 gain stage.
The dirty channel has 3 gain stages.

Each ECC83 provides 2 gain stages each.

V1 does 1 gain stage for the clean channel, 1 gain stage for the dirty channel.
V2 does 2 gain stages for the dirty channel too.
V3 is the phase inverter.

----------------------------

Good trouble shooting anyway, it looks like you already found the dodgy valve.
I would get another set of EL34 too if I were you.
Preamp valves typically lat much longer than power valves. Whilst you might simply have a had a dodgy ECC83, it might be all the valves have some wear already and replacing the power valves might improve your amp.

If you liked the tone of your amp before it started acting up, I would replace like for like.

You might want to try an Electro Harmonix ECC83 in V1 for extra jangle on the natural channel.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

PaulEngland85

Post by PaulEngland85 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:23 pm
The clean channel has 1 gain stage.
The dirty channel has 3 gain stages.

Each ECC83 provides 2 gain stages each.

V1 does 1 gain stage for the clean channel, 1 gain stage for the dirty channel.
V2 does 2 gain stages for the dirty channel too.
V3 is the phase inverter.

----------------------------

Good trouble shooting anyway, it looks like you already found the dodgy valve.
I would get another set of EL34 too if I were you.
Preamp valves typically lat much longer than power valves. Whilst you might simply have a had a dodgy ECC83, it might be all the valves have some wear already and replacing the power valves might improve your amp.

If you liked the tone of your amp before it started acting up, I would replace like for like.

You might want to try an Electro Harmonix ECC83 in V1 for extra jangle on the natural channel.
Thank you very much for this!!

Will try your recommendations, I take it that I can use different preamp valves in this amp then? There won't be any technical issues in the future?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:44 pm

You can use any brand ECC83/12AX7.

It's also one of those rare EL34 that is cathode biased, meaning you can drop any matched set of EL34 without needed a tech to rebias it.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

PaulEngland85

Post by PaulEngland85 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:01 pm

Thanks for all your help!
Just one last question so I'm super clear and don't end up blowing up tubes etc.
so I can run an EHX ECC83 in V1 and JJ's in V2 & V3? Sorry for being so pedantic!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:55 pm

PaulEngland85 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:01 pm
Thanks for all your help!
Just one last question so I'm super clear and don't end up blowing up tubes etc.
so I can run an EHX ECC83 in V1 and JJ's in V2 & V3? Sorry for being so pedantic!
Better safe than sorry, hey?!

That's correct.
Any mix will work so long as the valve type is right.

Hope you get your R30 back on track soon. It's a great amp, I love mine!!!!
Ant

PaulEngland85

Post by PaulEngland85 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:59 pm

Hi Ant

No luck replacing the preamp valves, V2 appears to be completely office, no glowing in that tube, V1 and the PI are fine
Any ideas?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:45 am

PaulEngland85 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:59 pm
Hi Ant

No luck replacing the preamp valves, V2 appears to be completely office, no glowing in that tube, V1 and the PI are fine
Any ideas?
What did you want to write before your phone corrected it to office?

Are you getting any sound form either channels?
Are the EL34 glowing?

Some valves on the R30 get the vakve heater power through the PCB, some through some splice connector wiring. That splice connector wiring isn t great IMO, but if your EL34 are heating up, and the jewel light goes on, those splice connectors aren't the issue.
Ant

PaulEngland85

Post by PaulEngland85 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:03 am

EL34s are glowing lovely, as are V1 & V3. V2 is completely offline
My clean channel sounds lovely, full and at a proper volume
When I switch to dirty, initially it hums like it's going to work, but the second I touch a string it cuts out, almost like its overloading something. Sometimes I can get a really low volume out of it, but I assume that's V1 doing it's part of the gain channel?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:14 pm

PaulEngland85 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:03 am
EL34s are glowing lovely, as are V1 & V3. V2 is completely offline
My clean channel sounds lovely, full and at a proper volume
When I switch to dirty, initially it hums like it's going to work, but the second I touch a string it cuts out, almost like its overloading something. Sometimes I can get a really low volume out of it, but I assume that's V1 doing it's part of the gain channel?

It swapping to new valves hasn't resolved your issue, there isn't much else you can do. You'll need to find a reputable tech in your area and get your amp looked at.

It could be anything, a dodgy resistor / capacitor/ failed solder point / valve base.....

The fact that the issue originally followed the preamp valve form dirty to natural channel adds to the problematic.

But essentially, since to fix it, someone will need to inspect it, perhaps take some live readings, means that you need a tech.

Beyond fuse and valves, there are no user serviceable parts in the amp really.
Ant