Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Sooner
Orange Master

Re: AD15 Mods - Questions for the Experts

Post by Sooner » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:37 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:36 am
That's a shame... but unfortunately, the heater wire is a necessary improvement!!!!!
Replacing the master pot was necessary too... :?
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Sooner wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:37 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:36 am
That's a shame... but unfortunately, the heater wire is a necessary improvement!!!!!
Replacing the master pot was necessary too... :?
Booh...... what happened to it?

My own AD15 has started to feedback all by itself with the gain and volume cranked, so I think I'm heading towards a full recap. It isn t valve related for sure.
It's almost 20 years old now, so a recap is on the menu anyway. Not even gonna try to trace, I'll just change all the elctrolytics at once. I have a few projects I need to finish before though.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:05 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:11 pm

My own AD15 has started to feedback all by itself with the gain and volume cranked, so I think I'm heading towards a full recap. It isn t valve related for sure.
It's almost 20 years old now, so a recap is on the menu anyway. Not even gonna try to trace, I'll just change all the elctrolytics at once. I have a few projects I need to finish before though.
Master pot was scratchy/intermittent at low volume to the point the amp was unusable with the gain turned up.

I think mine has always squealed by itself with both master and gain all the way up. Haven't checked lately. Kind of afraid to... :P I've been wondering how much caps really need to be replaced after 20 years. I just bought an 80+ year old radio that's all original and still works. I'll probably replace those caps before I get around to doing my AD15.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Sooner wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:05 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Master pot was scratchy/intermittent at low volume to the point the amp was unusable with the gain turned up.

I think mine has always squealed by itself with both master and gain all the way up. Haven't checked lately. Kind of afraid to... :P I've been wondering how much caps really need to be replaced after 20 years. I just bought an 80+ year old radio that's all original and still works. I'll probably replace those caps before I get around to doing my AD15.
I've had 15yo caps fail in the power supply of my DVD player a couple of years ago. Swapped it (£0.65) and it's been working fine since.

The DVD player doesn't really matter, but if a power supply cap failed in my AD15, that could be a transformer gone.......

I still play regularly though....... :oops: :lol:
Would you mind trying gain and volume maxed and seeing if you get some squeal/oscillation/feedback? You don't even need a guitar plugged in in mine, just does it by itself.

I know the older AD15 I sold didn't do it..... but didn't sound quite as good (still bloody brilliant). Wondering if Orange changed some components value to avoid that feedback, or if mine has something wrong with it.

In any case, it only happens at a setting I'll never use, which is the reason it isn't on my to do list right now.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:00 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Would you mind trying gain and volume maxed and seeing if you get some squeal/oscillation/feedback? You don't even need a guitar plugged in in mine, just does it by itself.
Just tested with nothing plugged in. Quiet as a mouse even with all the tone knobs maxed out. I may have been thinking about my Fender...
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:08 pm

Sooner wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:00 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Just tested with nothing plugged in. Quiet as a mouse even with all the tone knobs maxed out. I may have been thinking about my Fender...
Thank you so much. You're the 2nd forum member to try that out for me, and I really appreciate this. Both of you reported their amps to be dead quiet.
Since I know my valves are good, it simplifies the problem solving to a degree.

Recap defo on the to do list. Some way down the line.
Ant