Voltage Selector Switch on Crush 12L

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

trossit

Voltage Selector Switch on Crush 12L

Post by trossit » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi Forum,

I recently purchased a Crush 12L from Guitar Center last week in the USA. The back panel designation for "AC input" has 120v circled, so I am assuming this amp was originally intended for use in the USA. However, I did note the voltage selector on the back panel was in the 230v selection. I set the voltage selector switch to the proper input voltage for USA which is 120v. When I first tested the amp it was in the 230v setting and noticed no difference in sound or operation from the now 120v setting.

My question is, using this amp with the voltage selector switch set to 230v but with an actual line voltage of 120v could it have caused any harm to the amplifier? In theory I think if this scenario was reversed having a 230v line input voltage with the amps voltage selector set to 120v would have caused damage. Is my thinking correct? The amp sounds and operates fine. Your thoughts?

Thanks! :)

Sooner
Orange Master

Re: Voltage Selector Switch on Crush 12L

Post by Sooner » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:03 am

I'm surprised that amp worked on the 230V setting because the amp was getting half the voltage it was expecting. No harm done but had it been the other was around (somewhere with a 230V supply and the switch set to 120V) it would have been bad news!
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

trossit

Post by trossit » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:31 am

I am assuming there is a step-down transformer off the AC line-input jack that reduces the voltage coming into the amp. The reduced input voltage must have still been within the minimum threshold of the voltage regulator circuit that powers the amps mainboard. Again there was no noticeable drop in volume, distortion or clipping of the audio signal. Would love to see a schematic of this Crush 12L. Do you know if schematics exist within the forum for Orange amps or where I might find one?

Thanks for your reply to my original posting.

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:40 pm

No step down transformer. The primary taps on the power transformer are just wired differently. Something like this:

Schematics are out there on the net for some models but I haven't seen any for a Crush 12.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001