Micro Dark crackling issue.

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

rob_kay

Micro Dark crackling issue.

Post by rob_kay » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:55 pm

Hey everyone,

My Micro Dark crackles pretty badly, as shown in this video (not my video but same issue).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zg4TjcQGTo

Is there anything that can be done?

decontrol13

Re: Micro Dark crackling issue.

Post by decontrol13 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:10 pm

I do not have an answer, but my micro dark does something similar, just like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ht75dPOME

I know that if I unplug the tube and then plug it back in, it resolves the problem for a little while. That would lead me to believe that the tube was somehow loosening from the socket but if I just press down on the tube it does nothing, I have to remove the tube and plug it back in. It does this after every 1-2 hours of playing time.

Does anyone have any suggestions? These things are so inexpensive that I worry that the cost to fix this might be as much as the amp is worth. It's a brilliant little amp and the best sounding tiny amp I have ever had when I pair it with the ppc112. I bought it second hand and I have a feeling that the seller knew about the problem but he is long gone. Just to have an amp tech diagnose this will probably cost half of what I paid for it so I am considering just unplugging the tube and plugging it back in every time I play.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:41 pm

First thing with any amp that has a tube: try a different tube. Both those vids could be bad tubes.

Next most likely: dirty/corroded switching jacks in the fx loop or headphone jack. Those switch contacts can oxidize if you don't use them, so spray them with contact cleaner and insert/remove a plug a few times.
---------------------
Removing and reinserting the tube temporarily fixes things? Could be the tube's internals, and pulling it out jostles them. Could be dirty pins or socket. Could be cracked solder joints. Could even be the switching jacks, and when you move the amp around while pulling the tube out, the switch contacts start working again.

decontrol13

Post by decontrol13 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:06 am

Thanks but the first thing I did was try a different tube. I'll try some contact cleaner though, thanks. As far as the other things, I will see what I can see if the contact cleaner doesn't work.