DEFINITIVE ORANGE GUIDE TO: Overdrive/Boost/Dist/Fuzz Pedals

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ReggaeJoe

Re: DEFINITIVE ORANGE GUIDE TO: Overdrive/Boost/Dist/Fuzz Pedals

Post by ReggaeJoe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:22 am

Might be a bit late to this, but I'm still gonna dive in.

WHICH ORANGE AMP DO YOU USE?

I roll with a 2013 Gibson SG Standards through a Tiny Terror or a TH30 through a pair of PPC112 cabs. The SG is modded with treble bleeds on the pups, Graphtech saddles, and a bone nut.

WHICH OVERDRIVE PEDALS WORK BEST FOR YOU?

Right now, it's a tie between a Strymon Riverside and my beat-up Boss Blues Driver. I've also got an MXR GT-OD pedal as well, but it's not currently in use.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:

I dig the Strymon because it's got a lot of tone-shaping options--low, mid, and high knobs, mid-push on/off, and a hi/low gain select. Responds well to tweaking, especially when I pair it with the crunch/dirty channel on the TH30.

On the other hand, I also like the Blues Driver because it really accentuates the amps' natural ranges. I prefer to really crank the volume on both of my amps and not get too crazy with the onboard gain, and then hit the tubes even harder with the pedals--more volume and less drive boost. It REALLY sounds good with the dirty channel on the TH30, which I tend to think responds better to the Strymon. I usually prefer to pair the Blues Driver with the Terror.

PEDALS YOU RECOMMEND STAYING CLEAR OF:

Honestly, the MXR pedal is something that I'm probably going to sell. It's not a bad pedal--but I'm never satisfied with how it responds to the amps, especially with midrange response.
Gibson guitars / Orange amps / Reggae/ Rock and Roll

Sootio
Tiny Terror

Re: DEFINITIVE ORANGE GUIDE TO: Overdrive/Boost/Dist/Fuzz Pedals

Post by Sootio » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:05 pm

The BB Preamp works incredibly well with Orange amps, plus it's orange. A match made in heaven.